1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Well-Known Member

Would $230 be a good price for first quality suede strands? FYI they are no longer available on the AE website.

2. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

They aren't available in my size, but I'd definitely buy them at that price if I could.

3. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

Only you can answer that. I paid $235 for mine because they were on closeout and I found them with my wife when we were visiting NYC. She really wanted me to buy them and I really wanted them so it was an easy decision, I was also interested in the Walnut Strands, but knew I could always pick those up as they're a top seller. Turns out I did pick up some walnuts during the seconds sale a few weeks later.

If you want em, and have the cash, go for it. They're one good looking shoe.

4. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of a pair of Daltons in a dress. I saw it on AE Instagrams site about 2 weeks ago and posted the link here but I don't think anyone has a chance to see it.
    [​IMG]
    (credit: http://instagram.com/agraves33)

Found her Instagram's site and it looks like she have been wearing AE for quite some time. Other pictures can be seen here (including the Mora 2.0, Patriots, PAs, FAs, ...) Great to know that we men are not the only ones who appreciate AE shoes.

1 person likes this.
  5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I'll give you my opinion, having owned a few. I have the Verona and the Lucca - basically the same shoe; one is just on a leather sole (Verona) while the other is on a rubber sole (Lucca, which is the old version of the Arezzo - look exactly the same). I tried on pretty much every loafer they had in store when I purchased these, about 2 years ago, including the Firenze and some GY ones.

The Italian loafers are much lighter and sleeker, and I found them to be much more comfortable on first wearing. They feel almost like slippers, they are that comfortable. But I am sure the GY welted ones would feel very good once broken in. The Firenze has funky leather and the soles are really soft. The other Italian loafers are just not my style.

The leather sole is very thin. It will definitely not wear as long as the GY sole. Also, on a side note, I don't think AE can resole them with original soles anymore - they do something thicker when they get recrafted. I haven't had this done yet, but I think the loafer will lose its comfort and character once this happens.

I beat the shit out of my Veronas, including rain. The soles are curling up, because they are thin, and the upper is is showing wear. I raved about these when I first go them, but they definitely wear faster and harder than GY loafers. The Lucca/Arezzo has been absolutely terrific, however. I think the rubber sole makes it more flexible so the leather uppers don't get stressed as much.

Finally, everyone compliments the looks, especially the Veronas, which are brown.

So my bottom line: The Italian loafers feel great, but wear quickly. I would probably buy the rubber soled ones again, but not the leather soled ones. The GY ones are definitely a heavier, more solid look - American/British - and they will wear better. I also think if you want the Italian loafer look, the AE ones are better than anything in their price range.

2 people like this.
  6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I wear size 9.5 D in the 5 last and size down to 9D with the Saunders (as were told to be the 2 last). Hope it helps with your decision

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Well-Known Member

Bit the bullet and bought them. $232 at amazon with free return shipping in case I change my mind once they come in. Few sizes left in case anyone is looking for suede strands.

8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

^^ @halfnhalfnhalf is that the POLO in suede that Ralph Lauren had an issue with years ago?

My Neumok March Madness MTOs from the $199 promo last year.... #Smurf
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    3 people like this.
  10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to make leather that vibrant in color.

11. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I was at my local Charlotte store over the weekend and their shell cordovan display was gone. The Saleslady told me that they had to ship all their shell shoes to NYC since there was a "shell shortage". She said that the stores in NYC and the store in Chicago shell more shell than all the rest of the AE stores so the other stores had to send them all their stock. She didn't know when or if they would stock shell shoes again.

On a side note, I have some black shell Park Avenues coming from the $299 sale.

12. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with the Mohave's? They look pretty sweet for the price, nice suede chukkas. Why aren't they selling?

13. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Well-Known Member

Brown shell Jeffersons from the $299 sale have arrived (in what seemed like a nicer box and grey flannel bags). Some pics below with and without flash. I've only had a chance to try them on for a few minutes, and my initial reaction was that they felt a little big. I believe these are on the 5 last, same as the Strand, but these seem longer than my Strands in the same size (9eee).

I also ordered the burgundy shell Macneils which should be arriving this afternoon. The truth is I'll probably end up only keeping one of them.

To complicate matters, I got an email last night from Kristal telling me she just got in a pair for merlot shell Park Avenue (I asked if this was the same as burgundy shell, and she said it was....so not sure why it was called merlot). So now I'm debating grabbing those, waiting for them arrive...and then pick one pair out of the three to keep.

Anyways, don't see much wrong with these Jeffersons.

No Flash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

The name is Milbrook. From quite a while ago, ~10 years.

1 person likes this.
  15. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I really like those Jeffersons. I debated buying them when they were a web gem but went with a MTO in the same shoe but in cappuccino shell instead of brown. I'm glad I did as they turned out great plus it was some of the last of the cappuccino shell. They make a great dress shoe.

16. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Ugh, having a hard time. There's a brown shell jefferson thats close for me. Its a D width and I found the E fits best in the 65. However my D PA's aren't aweful at the end of the day. Just can't decide...

17. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Time to get into a 'Rut'...
    [​IMG]
    Perfectly appointed...
    [​IMG]
    It's gonna be a great day!

2 people like this.
  18. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Brown shell Jeffersons from the $299 sale have arrived (in what seemed like a nicer box and grey flannel bags). Some pics below with and without flash. I've only had a chance to try them on for a few minutes, and my initial reaction was that they felt a little big. I believe these are on the 5 last, same as the Strand, but these seem longer than my Strands in the same size (9eee). I also ordered the burgundy shell Macneils which should be arriving this afternoon. The truth is I'll probably end up only keeping one of them. To complicate matters, I got an email last night from Kristal telling me she just got in a pair for merlot shell Park Avenue (I asked if this was the same as burgundy shell, and she said it was....so not sure why it was called merlot). So now I'm debating grabbing those, waiting for them arrive...and then pick one pair out of the three to keep. Anyways, don't see much wrong with these Jeffersons. No Flash [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Flash [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm sorry, DNSamurai... I didn't catch the size of those (and by 'those' I mean the two shoes you're sending back?!?) [​IMG]

19. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of the long time AE owners can chime in on this question.

Is anyone familiar with the Tom Dick Harry wingtip? What last was it made on?

20. cannan

cannan Well-Known Member

I just received a slightly used pair off Ebay and I'm happy so far. I spent less than $100 on them and they fit better than my Clarks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.