Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I don't see this as something that will affect the lifespan of the shoe.

2. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Another pic of my new brown cordovan with his brother in burgundy. Cambridges are unavailable for picture at the moment

[​IMG]

3. basiameda

basiameda Active Member

Hi Everyone. Hopefully I don't make a bad impression for making this post but I have already posted in the eBay thread. I am currently selling 5 pairs of Allen Edmonds in 8.5 D and 8.5 E on eBay. I'm posting in here because I will be traveling for a month towards the end of September and would like to move some pairs if possible so that I dont have to take down all the listings and relist them when I get back.

If you would like more details or if you're interested in a pair, but not at the buy it now price, message me via SF and we can hash out the details. Many of the shoes have topy half soles attached and all of the boots come with original box, bags, and shoe trees. Cheers!

Some examples:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/sch/abor3dboy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. MKJ1

MKJ1 Active Member

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I finally got a hold of some shell strands with the Tanger discount, but they feel a little bigger than my calf strands. The width feels ok, but I'm concerned they may be on the loose side after the completely break in. The length is what is more noticeable to me. I thought the looseness might have been from people trying them on or perhaps even having shoe trees in them if they were displayed at one point. Now I'm second guessing if I should size down.

Unfortunately I jumped on them last month with the Tanger discount. Anyone know if I could get a credit for the price adjustment. I still think I got a great deal with the 20% off, but you can't beat the current shell sale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, would anyone be able to tell me how old these shells are? They have the black insoles and the stamping on the sole differs from the current shell soles. Thanks

5. green garden

green garden Senior member

Here are some pictures comparing the PA with the Cambridge. Both are supposed to be 5 last. Both are 8.5C. I am a 8.5C Brannock and the PA fits me perfectly. The Cambridge was way to big for me.

Length of Cambridge longer than PA.

[​IMG]

Front profile showing the Cambridge is also wider.

[​IMG]

Side profile trying to show the height difference.

[​IMG]

Overall, the Cambridge was just a bigger shoe. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought the Cambridge at Ebay but couldn't make it work. I re-sold it and specifically said it would probably fit a 8.5D or 9C. The guy who bought it from me said it was a good for him and he is a 8.5D.

From what I've read in the posts, I haven't heard anybody complaining about the same shoe fitting differently in calf or shell (e.g. Strand Calf owners seem to order the same shell size). So I don't know why, but it just seems like the Cambridge is cut differently compared to other 5 last shoes and therefore fits bigger.

Would love to hear from other members who own the same 5 or 1 last calf and shell models how the fit compares.

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

PSA: 4 day flash sale at the Shoebank. PAs and Strands $199
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Thank you! Any colour or only the ones shown?

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I like this.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For all of you questioning whether shell and calf fit differently or require different sizes, keep in mind three things:

1. When purchasing seconds, one of the reasons the shoes may be considered seconds is that the sizing is off.

2. My experience with shell is that it is softer and moulds to my foot, which lets me get away with a shoe that might be too tight in calfskin. I've found that with two pairs of shell shoes where the calfskin version would likely be on the tight side for my feet.

3. I don't have Cambridges, but it sounds like this shoe fits differently (calfskin or shell) than other 5 last shoes.

10. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Allen Edmonds' Hamptons in Walnut and White Calf.
    One can never have too many spectators.

CH

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

A truer statement has never been said.

Nice looking shoes.

12. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Yeah. I like the Ft. Collins. Seconds already available for $280. Looks like it's a Flatiron without the medallion.

13. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Thank you, and thank you.
    CH

14. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I believe the 2nds sale includes all colors of the timeless classics models

Park Ave
    Strand
    McAllister
    Fifth Ave
    Grayson
    Macneil
    Leeds

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  15. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I have the same shoes, only worn them a few times. I like your sock and trouser combination with the Hamptons. I wouldn't have thought to go with that but it looks good.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.