1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

which boots would look best in suede?

Fifth Street, Promontory Point, Bayfield, Eagle County, Mcadam...?

The fifth street or Mcadam would look pretty slick in my opinion. The promontory point could be cool too.

Also, would a suede cronmok be possible? I wonder what the unstructured suede boot would look like.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Ahhh. Grassy-ass.

3. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

I spoke with Allison two weeks ago about a Black Wax Infused (from the McTavish) MTO Cronmok, and at the time she mentioned a suede could also be done.

I think Cronmok would be my first choice among boots for a suede … I just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because I'm torn between the 5-65 last Cronmok and the 4-234 last Banchory for my next suedes.
    (I'm planning to post a picture tonight of the Strandmoks I'm wearing today for some last shape / foot shape feedback)

I'd also thought about the McAdam but there was just some strong negative feedback on it, and I have, and am happy with, the Cronmok.

4. BCer

BCer Senior member

Thanks for that. And while I'm reading your reply, I'm thinking I may have lightly tried my Saphir Rejeuvenator, not AE Lotion. The Lotion's probably milder, so I'll go to town with that as you suggest. Thanks!

5. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

7. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

My second MTO. Heritage golf shoe with Dark Brown Burnished Calf and Bitter Chocolate Suede. Red leather lining and JR sole. Came in while I was on vacation, I haven't even had a chance to try them on yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

delete

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Just rec'd my dark brown Mora 2.0 seconds, and wow what a beautiful shoe. As a bonus, there was nary a flaw on the pair.....sadly, they did not fit. Made an educated guess on the last (same as Delray), but was off in both length and width. Crap! They're going back, hopefully replacement pair will be fine. Pics when I get the new pair. J

10. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

If anyone is interested, there is still a pair of walnut shell strands in 9E in the Boston AE store. They're begging to be worn by someone.

11. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

After having them out for pictures the other day, I decided to keep my Strandmoks out and wear them today. The day was longer than usual because I got up early for the library and have class until 7:30pm. Surprisingly, I had a twinge of nerve inflamation by mid-afternoon and went back to my apartment for a while to have them off. So I decided to snap a picture showing some of my fitting hardships.
    [​IMG]

This pair is an 11EEE. You can see how my big toe only slightly reaches into the cap area, yet the smallest/outside toe is still bulging out the side of the shoe. I like these, but I think they will not last very long; they've only been worn < 20 times in the nine or so months I've had them but they already have the stretched-out side bulge still impressed after they are removed. My leather Cronmoks seem to be holding up much better. I'm still undecided what to go with for future unstructured suede MTOs: Cronmok boots which I like, or Banchorys which are on a broader last.

Anyone else have any similar fitting issues?

• {btw: a "thank you" goes out to Paul at AE who last year had seen similar discussions I had in threads at AAAC and direct messaged me and got me started on the way with AE and MTOs}
    • {{p.p.s. when I refer to nerve problem, it's "plantar neuroma" a/k/a "Morton's neuroma." Mostly from too many years of constricting ice hockey skates (parents, buy your kids ones that fit!). I've had surgery to remove nerves from my right foot which eliminates the pain (along with all feeling), but it's a tough recovery and I want to delay the left foot for as long as possible ... perfect fitting & comfortable footware is a mega priority for me}}

12. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Active Member

Do you know how much they're going for?

13. NicNac

NicNac Well-Known Member

How would the Strand fit in relation to the Dalton? Looking at the Brooks Bros version of the Strand and from my understanding it has the Poron insole. How would that affect fit?

Thanks!

14. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess around $650, as that is the price of the brown shell online. Give them a call, they're usually very helpful with me.

15. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I like how with the sales we point out shoes that are still available in the hopes someone else will snap them up and remove the temptation. I've been sitting on the shell Leeds and Cambridges in my size for over a week for fear that I'll call up they'll have neglible flaws and I'll end up ordering both.

16. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

Love these! ... This is almost exactly like an idea I was toying with in my mind for a pair of McClains (but I was also thinking for McClains to have a third, lighter shade of suede in the middle for a subtle tri-tone spectator like one I had seen earlier in this thread)

17. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Had it been an 8E I would have been pushing people over to get to my phone haha. I was just thinking how it sucked I got into shoes too late and missed out on the lighter shell offerings.

McAllister is walnut shell would have been my MTO back a few years ago. Did anyone ever get a pair made and have pics of such a shoe?

18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

19. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

No problem! Enjoy them! I just can't stand to see a nice shoe wither away on a shelf

20. thromb

thromb Senior member

Give me a shout if they don't work out for you. I've been looking for walnut shell strands in just that size for a while now and missed anrobit's post! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.