• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subutai

Reaction score

Ha! That's the blob I was referring to earlier. It's what I have on the seconds I just received. It really looks like a blob, though, so I didn't realize it was supposed to be a shoe till you posted this.

So... does anyone know what signifies an Alden seconds? (not that I would ever consider buying Alden or anything apart from AE of course :) )

Aldens don't seem to be marked. There also seem to be far far fewer Alden "Irregulars," I dont know of any store other than The Shoe Mart that carries them

rc121

Reaction score

I was thinking it is the chocolate larchmont from the 2 for $250 sale?

Ya, looks just like my chocolate larchmonts. I also tend to think the larchmonts run a little bigger than most of my other AE's. I could have probably gone down a width or down a .5 size. mine are also 8eee and while I feel they could be more snug, the lacing sides are nowhere near touching.

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what should i do with these shoes?
they feel great
however when i take steps, my left shoe bends horizontally slightly

They look to be too long on your foot.

calidist

Reaction score
Aldens don't seem to be marked. There also seem to be far far fewer Alden "Irregulars," I dont know of any store other than The Shoe Mart that carries them

All Alden seconds are stamped with a "R" in the above the same place AE brands its seconds with the shoe stamp. Aldens with a rubber sole have the "R" stamped on the interior lining. TSM is the only retailer for Alden seconds.

Subutai

Reaction score

All Alden seconds are stamped with a "R" in the above the same place AE brands its seconds with the shoe stamp.  Aldens with a rubber sole have the "R" stamped on the interior lining.  TSM is the only retailer for Alden seconds.

I stand corrected!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Cronmoks in tan were just ordered! Now I just have to wait 4 weeks to get them… I guess that means they are being made just for me.

Now I gotta get some mink oil and darken them up!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my Neumoras from the 2 for $250 sale. I was a little bit concerned that the Neumora could be too big in my regular size and might look too elongated, but it actually fits very well and I think the proportions look pretty good. The defect, as far as I could tell, is that the heel cups are installed a bit crooked, which I can live with, especially for $125. I'm pleased with this one.

Very nice. I thought about buying those during the 2/$250, but it would have been forced; I don't really like the dark brown, and there weren't any other shoes in the sale that I really wanted.

Last edited:

tucker897

Reaction score
I'll tell you my sizing story in hopes that it will be of benefit to you. Since I was a teenager I have worn size 10.5 sneakers and size 10 dress shoes. I always considered this to be my size and didn't think twice about it until I ventured into the world of Allen Edmonds. Using the AE Sizing Tool I printed from the website, I measured a 9D. My first pair of 9D's were painful. After months of frustration, trying on multiple sizes and returning countless numbers of shoes, I have settled in that I am what can be called a 'true-to-size" (TTS) 8.5D with variations on this depending on the last.

For the 5 last, I had to go down one half size in length and up one size in width, which is pretty common among the members of this thread.

In your situation I would try a 10.5E in the Strand/Park Avenue and see if this doesn't work better for you. If this is not an option, I would stick with the 11D for both as the tightness across the toes will most certainly lessen as the shoes start to break in.
thanks for the input
i got these shoes through mail (2 for 250)
i got big feet
so i might limited on the sizes
top shoe is 14c
bottom shoe 14b

i cant go 13.5 since they dont make them

MrWN

Reaction score
what should i do with these shoes?
they feel great
however when i take steps, my left shoe bends horizontally slightly

What's the name of the walnut shoe?
Not the Park Avenue, is it? Because the Park Avenue was not on the closeout list...

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
I wonder if someone could give an advice on AE MacNeil's fit. Is the fit similar/identical to other AE's on the 7 last? Fwiw, I wear 10D in Sanfords, which is pretty much my true size (9.5E would probably work a bit better but they were sold out at the last 2 for 250 sale), but I've heard that one needs to go 1/2 size down on MacNeil.

cincikid

Reaction score
Ha! That's the blob I was referring to earlier. It's what I have on the seconds I just received. It really looks like a blob, though, so I didn't realize it was supposed to be a shoe till you posted this.

So... does anyone know what signifies an Alden seconds? (not that I would ever consider buying Alden or anything apart from AE of course
smile.gif
)
I just got a pair of Alden Indys' seconds from ShoeMart (which I subsequently returned) and I can't find any indication that they are secodns, apart from a white ubranded shoebox and no shoe bags. It might be an idiosyncrasy of this particular pair, as they have a lug sole. Yet, my Aberdeens seconds with the lug sole do have the same "shoe-mark" on them.

cincikid

Reaction score
I wonder if someone could give an advice on AE MacNeil's fit. Is the fit similar/identical to other AE's on the 7 last? Fwiw, I wear 10D in Sanfords, which is pretty much my true size (9.5E would probably work a bit better but they were sold out at the last 2 for 250 sale), but I've heard that one needs to go 1/2 size down on MacNeil.
I should have mentioned, that I was particularly curious about the sizing of MacNeil's from the rough collection (2011 webgem), in case their fit might be any different from their traditional version.

cincikid

Reaction score
+1 that they look too big; there seems to be a lot space between the collar of the shoe and your foot.

Side note...what are those burgundy ones? They look great (other than being too big)
Those look like Larchmonts, but I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads