Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

The price did not go up. The $299 price listed was a sale price that the shoebank/outlets have run one or twice in the past. It doesn't happen often and was possibly associated with the change in stocking policy....when they changed all shell models from RTW to MTO only.

$359 is pretty much the best we've seen for the last year or so...aside from the occasional sale on a particular model (ie Patriots or Towneys)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

2. calidist

calidist Senior member

Definitely need some family photos!

3. jch1

jch1 Senior member

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Cappuccino Bayfields are....shipping today!! I am very excited! The initial report from AE is that they look amazing [​IMG]

5. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Congrats!! Happy they made it through QC!!

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Working on my Shell Cordovan Daltons....

After a light coat of Renovateur and heavy brushing now trying to get some carpet time in

[​IMG]

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

8. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    The shoe size guide is only that . . . a "guide". Most often AE will ask you to use it when there is no local store for you to get a professional size and last fit - because the paper guide does not take into account your arch, contour, flesh/bone ratio, or any other indicators. But the AE will generally ship a size you come up with - so that you can experiment wearing them in your home on carpet (not outside). If they feel "okay", you keep them. If they don't feel right, then they pay for return postage to try on another size . . . and on and on until you get a good fit. (This is, of course, the long method in finding out your last and size and which styles are good for you. That is why the best if to be professionally fitted at an AE or Nordstroms Department store)

You may wish to view the following video - which goes into MUCH MORE DETAIL than just the size graph:

All my best,

David

9. David Copeland

Below is a quote from the CEO of Allen Edmonds:

Quote: The shoe stamp does indeed denote seconds. The shoemaker's hammer is for Recrafted shoes. Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
    Paul[/QUOTE]

10. David Copeland

When I wrote "Most often Amazon will not pay of the return postage of AE shoes", I am referring to Amazon as a company and most of the separate Amazon Sellers who sell Aleen Edmonds shoes on Amazon that are not sold direct by AE and a few other sellers.

When you search for an AE shoe on Amazon, just prior to adding the shoes to your Amazon shopping cart - you will see a "selection of MORE BUYING CHOICES (which may save you a dollar or more), which lists the 3rd party Amazon Vendors who sell AE shoes. When you click on their RETURN POLICY, most often they say "Please refer to the Amazon Product Return Policy" - which offers the "general return policy for all Amazon items sold" - AND SPELLS OUT the following:

"Shipping and handling charges for returning items shipped by a seller are borne by the buyer."

SOURCE LINK

All of the follow Amazon Sellers who sell AE Shoes do not offer free postage return labels. Instead, they refer to the Amazon rules where buyer covers the cost:

soleconnect

OnlineShoes

The ShoeMart

Shoe & Company

Crisp Boutique

If you choose to ONLY purchase from AE directly through Amazon, then free return postage os offered. A handful of other sellers mirror the same policy. But be CAREFUL who you buy from on Amazon.

I wish you the best,

David

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I am honored and actually humbled more than a little to be mentioned with the other gentlemen.
    Congrats! OK now you got me itching to get that phone call from AE.....
    Those are looking great! Your work is paying off [​IMG]

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree! I do enjoy pictures of all your shoes polojock you have some unique shoes in your collection which I enjoy a lot.
    I am the same size in the strawfut compared to all my other shoes on the 5 last (with the exception of those in the rough collection). It is a great warm weather shoe. Which this year hasn't been often but I'm not complaining, what a beautiful summer weather wise. I should have known back in May when I dug them out it wasn't going to be a hot summer this year....
    [​IMG]

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The butyl soles on my 744's are fantastic in snow and rain, love them. The ones on my 5th St. however are harder and chip and crack easily a few other people (not many) have had that issue.

Due to the oil in the butyl soles Deborah at AE recommended against putting half soles on them. Sometimes they stick but sometimes they do not and start to peel off over time which causes a mess. In the wolverine 1K thread where the boots use butyl soles more than a few people have had issues with them staying on.
    On burgundy and black shell in the fall I use a thin coat of wax, very light. On walnut, cappuccino and brown nothing. I do have 2 bottles of Alden leather defender but I have only used it a few times. It doesn't seem to stay on long and doesn't seem very effective. I don't like to use any product on shell if I can help it and it looks like for the defender you have to use it often for it to work well, not sure what the long term effect of it is so personally do not use it any more. Many others seem to like it however. I do try to avoid standing water if at all possible. And some of my shell doesn't like getting wet and some it doesn't bother so after awhile have learned to pick which ones to wear. Hope that helps.

14. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

I realize this, but these W imprinted soled shoes are never seen for sale anywhere outside of ebay or Nordstrom Rack locations. I have boutght dozens of seconds from the shoebank and outlet locations and have never once seen anything other than a bare sole or a sole marked with a shoe icon.

As I have seen the W marking on shoes that have been sold through Nordstrom Rack in worn condition, as well as shoes that are new, yet have major quality issues (Rips, tears, major dye issues), I really don't think these are on the same level as those sold through AE with the shoe emblem. I truly believe this to be a marking that differentiates a shoe that is eligible to be sold directly by Allen Edmonds vs one that can only be sold through lower tier channels. Maybe they don't ever use the term "thirds", but I guarantee that they do use the W for a good reason.

15. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Regarding W's, I have a pair or two from that eBay outfit in Georgia. Both pair were very lightly worn but otherwise in excellent condition. So, in my experience a "W" doesn't necessarily equate to a "third."

Regarding the seconds icon, here is a pic. Down at the bottom:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.