Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

There too big. The laces are fully closed brand new, and u have a decent amount of bowing without much pressure applied on the shoes. Have u tried 1/2 size down? Maybe be worth a shot.

2. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Yeah, Chocolate Larchmonts I think he mentioned. It looked burgundy to me, I dunno, I'll say it was the lighting

3. tucker897

tucker897 Member

i havent tried it
    i am size 14b,c
    cant imagine going to 13

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Well, folks that say to go down a half size for the Macneil would likely say that about most any #7 last AE shoe. I don't think they are comparing the Macneil to other #7's, they are most likely comparing it to the several popular - for good reason - number 5's. I'm guessing most folk's first AE shoe was one of the #5's and that is likely the last most people here are most familiar.

The #7 is a bit wider to begin width, plus the Macneil is a blucher, so it feels more roomy to most folks for that reason as well.

As for me, the difference is not as pronounced. In the #5, I'm most often a "snug" 10.5E.

A 10.5E Macneil fits me (and my high instep) like glove.

If you think you really ought to be a 9.5E in the Sanford, then try a 9.5E in the Macneil. I wouldn't go down any in length until you give that a go first.

5. deburn

deburn Senior member

As someone just mentioned, the Alden Indys do have an R at the same spot where AE has theirs. I saw this myself earlier this week.

Re the AE seconds, the Katmais I just got dont have them, so I assumed it was because it was discontinued and not seconds

6. rc121

rc121 Senior member

try going to a 13 b or c, those shoes look way too wide in that length and you might found out that it works for you

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

7. Chezteladog

Chezteladog New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am typically an 11.5 so I did go down to 11's. I tried 11.5 in the two widths as well but too long. I think I'm set on the PA's in the 11D and I"ve been wearing the 11E's in the Strand all day and they do seem to fit better than the D's I suppose. The laces aren't all the way closed and they are tighter than the PA's in 11D. It's just that the leather on the 11E's is already creasing in various spots on the shoe. Makes me think they are going to look bad soon if they are already doing this and I haven't even worn them outside yet.

8. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    As the picture below suggests, there can be more to a mirror shine than some may believe:

[​IMG]

9. deburn

deburn Senior member

So it sounds like you use almost nothing on burgundy and black. Why nothing on the rest? I've read about how shell reacts differently to rain for different people/shoes. Looks like I'll be getting mine on Monday and Tuesday.

Couple of other shell questions in general:

1. the SA at AE told me that the JR soles that AE uses on it's shell shoes is made from shell itself. I always thought they were made of regular leather. Anyone care to comment?

2. With calf shoes some people advocate putting toe taps or sole protectors. Is something similar recommended with shell?

Thanks

10. tucker897

tucker897 Member

i just call the shoe bank
    they told its normal because shoes have been sitting box for awhile
    they suggest putting the shoe tree in shoe for few days and then try wearing them

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I don't think I could go down in length for my Macneils.

12. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

Where did you buy these from?

David

13. tucker897

tucker897 Member

i order them during 250 special
    i phone order them at the Riverhead NY store

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I received my two pairs of 2/250$ shoes in the mail at separate times. 1 on Tues, another on Wed. Both were in excellent condition with no complaints.

What I'm troubled by is, that I received a call from my wife while at work right now (west coast) and she informed me AE had sent me another shoe...I never ordered 3, so I had her open them up. Lone behold, AE apparently sent me ANOTHER Strawfut black/black mesh (wife sent picture). These came with shoe bags, which my first pair did not...I had not been charged for another pair.

Has anything similar happen to anyone else? It looks like my order had been placed twice, but only for 1 shoe (no additional CC charges). I have not been home to confirm the proper size or anything. But from what I remember, in my shoe bank email, my black/black strawfut was listed as only having 1 pair left in stock...It would be ironic to have received an exact same pair.
    Thoughts?

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The SA is wrong. The JR soles are not made from shell cordovan. While the JR soles are supposed to be more robust, like any other leather soles they eventually will need to be resoled at some point in the future assuming you are wearing the shoes, so it if for you to decide whether you want to add sole protectors, taps, etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.