• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope I am not causing you any stress.
I just want to get a definitive answer on something that seems, on the surface, to be a subject that doesn't need to be as nebulous as it is.

You're asking for a "definitive answer" on something that is inherently subjective. Some simply use the polish and are done. Some condition/clean and use the polish. Some prefer the wax, but use the conditioner/cleaner every few months or so to prevent wax buildup or damage to the shoe. And some use conditioner/cleaner, polish and wax each time. Have fun experimenting with your shoes and see what works best for you. And, if this is still too nebulous for you, read through the very good shoe care thread, which addresses the pro's and con's of the many different approaches.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wipe away any salt or dust with a damp Bounty.

Put some of the AE Conditioner/Cleaner on the shoe, and take a cloth and rub it in/on, whatever. Do the whole shoe.

Let it dry (about 5-10 minutes)

Use the AE Premium Shoe Polish (use the right colour) with the applicator, apply to the entire shoe.

Let it dry (5-10 again).

Buff with a soft cloth.

Apply the AE Edge Dressing (that's the side of the sole, it makes it shiny again, and supposed to protect; use the right colour).

Apparently, if you want a high gloss finish you can then start with your Kiwi. Apply, buff, apply, buff to get them looking like patrick_b's I think.

I hope this helps you, it can be very difficult figuring out what's the best way to take care of your new, expensive shoes.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
I've got a silly question to ask. Are you suppose to loosen the laces at ALL the eyelets before putting on or taking off a shoe? I normally just untie laces and use a shoehorn since it takes awhile to loosen every single eyelet. Was wondering if this damages the eyelets over time or just something salesman do at the shoestore to get a better fit

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a postcard from AE regarding the upcoming seconds sale. LaSalle's and Delrays in Chili and black are $139. Kenilworth in all colors is $179 and walnut Black Hills is $139. Mayfair ($99), Walden ($129), Maxfield($149), Hastings($129) and Hale($129) are also on sale.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of trying on shoes in the 5 last. Really looking at the 5th Ave.
I'm in Louisville so there are no AE stores around. Tried on 10C, 10D, 9.5D and 9D and none of them feel right. Measured a 10C on the AE size guide. I feel like I have heel slippage in all of them.
Is that to be expected? Think I'm just SOL? My next try was going to be 9.5C but need the guidance of an expert. Is the 5 last just not made for my foot or what?

I have the same problem. I went to Nordstrom for my first pair of AEs, the Park Ave. also in the 5-65 last. Of course, Nordstrom does not stock a full range of sizes. They got me as close as an 11D. It fits just right in the toe and too loose in the heel. You can actually see the leather bowing out on the outside of the heel. You can compensate a little bit by cinching the bottom of the laces (closest to the toe). I took the 11Ds home to try on a few times (different socks etc.), but I'm returning them tomorrow (Friday). I've ordered a pair of Aldens to see if they are any better until I can get to an AE store (closest AE store is about 300 miles away). Good luck.

454Casull

Reaction score
Is there any reason why one should not buy a combination shoe tree rather than a standard shoe tree, if both are the same price?

Jescha

Reaction score
Amazon has the Hillsborough for sale at 48% off $152.43 + another Valentine's Day Sale of 20% ==> $122.
Not bad for a $295 pair of shoes.
I wear 9D for both Kenwood (800 Last) and the Hancock (7-97 Last) and I would appreciate if anyone could advise me on the Hillsborough fit.
Thanks.

Jescha

Reaction score
Is there any reason why one should not buy a combination shoe tree rather than a standard shoe tree, if both are the same price?
According to AE, the combination shoe trees could be used for other brand of shoes but the standard shoe trees (I guess you meant the Full Toe version) are meant for AE shoes only. I had both and had no problem using the Full Toe trees for other brands.
Having said that, I do prefer the combination trees as they seem to be easier to get in and out of the shoes.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got a postcard from AE regarding the upcoming seconds sale.  LaSalle's and Delrays in Chili and black are $139.  Kenilworth in all colors is $179 and walnut Black Hills is $139.  Mayfair ($99), Walden ($129), Maxfield($149), Hastings($129) and Hale($129) are also on sale.

Hey, can you let me know when this sale will be? And I have to call in and make the orders, correct? Finally, would they ship to Canada? I don't mind paying the duties, since the discounts are so big.

2011Six

Reaction score
Interested in the Hales... I heard they are 1st quality and not seconds. For $129 thats tough to pass up. What are everyones thoughts? I was planning on making my next purchase a pair of fifth avenue in black. Although they are similiar, I'm not sure how I feel...

Shoes_iAEC1041740.jpg

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, can you let me know when this sale will be? And I have to call in and make the orders, correct? Finally, would they ship to Canada? I don't mind paying the duties, since the discounts are so big.

Sale runs February 7 - 20. I typically e-mail the shoebank ( [email protected] )for a list of shoes in my size and then call to place my order. Not sure on whether AE would charge shipping to Canada.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Interested in the Hales... I heard they are 1st quality and not seconds. For $129 thats tough to pass up. What are everyones thoughts? I was planning on making my next purchase a pair of fifth avenue in black. Although they are similiar, I'm not sure how I feel...

Shoes_iAEC1041740.jpg

I just can't get the 2 last to fit me. I am usually a 8.5D on the 5, but with the VanNess (executive last, similar to the 2), my instep feels way too high, the shoe is extremely narrow and a good bit shorter than the 5. Would my problems likely be fixed if i just went with 8.5E?

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those of you who have the Players seconds, how are the qualities? I just got my second pair of seconds and the brogue on the toe are not symmetric... should I keep or return it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads