1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Distinguished Member

The optical illusion possibility did cross my mind. Hard to tell from this angle, yes. Nice colour on the shoes though.

2. Jescha

Jescha Active Member

Amazon got these: Here Hillsborough for sale at $122 after discount, can someone please help with fittings of the 8 Last?
    I wear 9D in the 7 and 114 Last. Thanks.

3. tv2177

tv2177 Distinguished Member

i think it looks wider because of the brogues as well. the color on the shoe is really nice and I am still debating whether to keep or not...

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

Now that I see what the you are talking about - the left medallion goes down over the front of the toe, while the right one starts at the top of the toe - it really bugs me. Maybe I'm also neurotic, but I'd return them if they were mine, unless I really thought I got a tremendous deal on them.

5. tv2177

tv2177 Distinguished Member

ya that's really bugging me. my strand is a factory second as well but it has literally no problem. I guess it's just not this time. i m really considering returning this shoe.

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Distinguished Member

My latest AE purchase, from another SF member: vintage MacNeil's in excellent, barely used condition. That brings me up to 8 pairs of AE :embar:

[​IMG]

7. csc67

csc67 Senior Member

What colors did AE manufacture the Cortland in?

8. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

They'll be able to give you a list if you get into contact with them and give them your size. For the sale, certain shoes are going to be 15% off, the majority of them. A few others will be "closeout" and won't be on sale, because they're already pretty low, as far as I understand.

The sale is starting next Tuesday, but he was able to give me the sale price when I called in yesterday afternoon (Friday afternoon, Nathan).

It took me a little while to notice the issue, but it's the sort of thing that once you notice it, you never stop noticing it. Whether you return it or not is a personal decision. Personally, unless the fit was perfect, like patrick said, I'd return it. I prefer to have pretty perfect, new things, and save up for them.

I'm only trying out the seconds for a black pair of Park Avenues because it's kinda hard to fuck up an unbrogued captoe (or at least I hope). And the second pair of seconds are a walnut Strand for my brother, so hopefully any issue, if visible, will be too small to matter to him.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

Nice purchase. These look awesome, and the seller said, they should bring back this color for MacNeils.

10. ASK88

ASK88 New Member

So I have done a bit of searching and reading through this thread but I still have a question about the PA #5 last fit. I tried on a pair of Park Avenues the other day in anticipation of the Feb 7 sale and sized down on length to a 9.5D for a pretty decent feeling fit. I measured in at 10D on the store's shoe sizer. BUT while the right shoe felt perfectly fine, my left foot felt a tad bit squeezed in the toe box. I usually wear a medium/average width but lack experience on sizing a nicer shoe like this. I was told they appeared to fit as they should and I may not be used to the stiffer feel of the shoe. Understanding this is entirely subjective, could anyone tell me if I should really try an E and possibly adjust upward in width? I've read here and in other threads that most people usually size down one length and size up one width. Feeling the exterior of the left shoe, I had a little bit of space on my left foot so while it felt a little awkward it did not appear to be squeezed?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

11. abraham

abraham Member

To my fellow Canadians hoping to get in on any AE sales. I purchased two pairs during the last sale they had for factory seconds. I specifically requested that they ship them USPS instead of DHL or FedEx or UPS. Result, no duties; I just paid roughly 40$ for shipping to Toronto.

Good luck.

12. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior Member

That's spectacular news! I had read a while ago that AE refused to ship with another courier, so I never bothered to ask myself. Good on you!

13. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

Yes fellow Canadians, when you call in orders from the Shoebank, you can request that they use USPS, and not UPS or anyone else. I just did that. Looking forward to not paying any duties.

14. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior Member

Oh by the way, while we're on a roll, at Harry Rosen at Yorkdale I saw a pair of 10.5D McTavishes on clearence for 195 bucks. Looked in great shape to me.

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

So is this sale on the 7th for seconds, or for first quality shoes as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.