Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

More importantly, can we get a thorough review from you? :nodding:

2. JubeiSpiegel

The AE website has some good videos on the subject of their shoe maintenance products. Regarding the options stated, you really need to use a combination using all of them.

Simply version: wipe with damp cloth, conditioner/cleaner, Premium shoe polish in matching color (since it is a combination wax & cream polish), brush, and buff.

Thorough version: wipe with damp cloth, conditioner/cleaner, alternate between cream one session (which feeds the leather nutrients) & wax polish another session (which addresses leather appearance), layering the wax polish to desired shine level, brush, and buff.

Everyone has different systems, but as long as you understand what each tool is used for, you should be ok. Enjoy.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Use the conditioner/cleaner and the AE shoe polish to protect your investment. Some also like to use the wax to get more of a mirror shine. I find the AE shoe polish is a sufficient shine for most of my shoes and only use the wax on the black pair I wear with suits. YMMV.

When getting a new pair, I use the conditioner/cleaner and shoe polish immediately before wearing and then use the polish on a weekly basis for the first few weeks. This helps protect the shoes and makes it easier to break them in. After that, how often you polish depends on how often you wear the shoes, the conditions and your preferences.

4. REguy

REguy Senior member

Details and do you own a pair? I saw them in the store and thought they looked really nice by AE standards. I was actually considering grabbing a pair when they go on sale. Should I rethink that?

5. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Well this is my first pair of AE's , so not being a connoisseur there is a limited amount of information I am aware of. The biggest difference between the Jefferson's and others such as the McAllister or Players was how soft and comfortable they are. Comfort is close to a pair of Santoni's (Blake/Bologna) I also got.

I really like the walnut color, nor sure though if the color attracts too much attention.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing a "made in the USA" stamp on my Aldens. I'm sure they are though, so I wouldn't worry about your pair.

7. JubeiSpiegel

I was told the only AE's not made in the US are from their "ae for Allen Edmonds" collection, recognized by the large "ae" logo on the insole. I believe those are made in the Dominican Republic.

Addendum: The Italian collection shoes are obviously made in Italy :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Is this them? http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7605_1_40000000001_-1

Made in the USA, I think.

9. rostov

rostov Senior member

I think I may finally be over the problems I have been having with my black AE Strands. Previously, I wrote about how my first pair developed a split/cracked heel in less than a month, and how the replacements had a patch of bad leather which was apparent after a single wearing. Finally, I went back to the San Francisco store and spoke to the manager...

He acknowledged both problems, but seeing me in the shoes and upon my complaints of toe-compression, decided to re-measure my size and we found that I was badly measured.

The store had sized me at 11EEE and put me into a 10EEE. Upon re-measuring, I was an 11E... for which the 5-last Strand was TTS. Interestingly, they fit almost identically, but the EEE was less snug around the ankle and was wrinkling the leather. Also, the curvature/closeness of the toe-box was just different enough to cause pain during long-term wear.

I now have a brand-new pair of AE Strands in Walnut!

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The toe box in a EEE would be 1/2" larger than in an E so I'm a little confused at that last sentence.

11. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

That is strange. But here is what it says on that webpage: "Proudly made in the USA at our Port Washington, Wisconsin factory". So should be from Wisconsin. I wonder if you emailed them if they would have an explanation for why they didn't write that in your shoe.

13. facet

facet Senior member

Hate to break up the AE love in. But I was wondering if any of you have had any problems with the heel coming off? I had bought my parliaments off Amazon last August and, yesterday, noticed that part of the heel was coming detached off one of the shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anybody else experienced this? I only wear them 2x/week, three if I wear them out, and I'm only walking around an office in them; so it's not hard wear. I was quite surprised, and more than a little disappointed, to see this as they had been my favourite shoe to wear.

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Give AE a call - they will fix it no problem. I think they had a few issues with the glue holding on some shoes made last summer.

15. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

+1 I had bought some Bayfields off Amazon around the same time and the heel completely came off. I called AE and they sent me a UPS label to ship 'em back to be resoled for free. Great customer service! I think the CEO even commented on this problem over on AAAC.

Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.