• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello Neo1--

So you're saying that the fit of the Hamilton will depend on the type of leather used? I hadn't even considered that. The large-fitting pair I bought last year in size 13 was in fact the Cognac (how did you know?) with what I believe they called "tumbled leather." The style is great, but they feel like they are a full size too large when wearing anything but thick, itchy, woolen hiking socks: I lift my foot off the ground and wiggle back & forth at the ankle, and the boot slops around out of sync with my foot. This pair fits like I imagine a size 14 would, as opposed to a 13.5, if such a thing existed.

The pair I pulled the trigger on last night @20 minutes before the sale ended is this one:

They are calling it "European weatherproof leather" in the ad copy. Per the advice of the gentleman above, I went with a size 12.5 as that locks me into the sale price should the fit be too snug and I need a 13.

You're saying I should expect a different fit with the pair I ordered last night as compared to the fit I experience with the Cognac pair, solely based on the type of leather? I still can't figure out why the Hamilton in Cognac, size 13D, fits so enormous when my Strands & McAllisters are a perfect fit in a 13E...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going with Patton today.
EAF1CD67-E46F-42D1-92A7-7E181372AE98.jpeg

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, given I just mentioned shorts: Which AE shoes/boots do you think pair nicely with shorts? Preferably, not loafers, as I don't dig loafers, but any suggestions besides?

I rock Maritimes and sometimes my lone pair of Kirkwoods, although the Kirkwoods or mostly beater shoes by now.

I think I read somewhere that the Maritime is made on a different last name? I bought four pairs of them all at once during a Father’s Day sale back in 2015 or 2016. Each pair was $125 each and they were probably the best purchases I made that year. Almost wish I had stocked up on even more.

(also, lately I have been wearing a pair of low top Converse Chuck 70s - the much more comfortable/higher quality version of the classic Chuck Taylors), but they have a very different aesthetic and vibe. Since I am still a hair under 40 years old, I guess I can get away with it.)

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took a quick one at the shop and one when I got home with a dirty car from the rain.

Walnut Daltons should arrive tomorrow. I bought like 6 pairs during this sale. I have to be more careful no one to tell me no anymore.
looks good! I'm guessing it was a Euro shop you went to, all those VW's and Audi's in the backround, IIRC didn't you used to have a GTI?

I also have walnut daltons. I have a hard time with matching the color, I got AE's cream, but it's not the same shade, it's more yellow/orange and looks weird on the wing's and heel counter.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Nomad bucks seem like an obvious pairing with shorts.
Also, given I just mentioned shorts: Which AE shoes/boots do you think pair nicely with shorts? Preferably, not loafers, as I don't dig loafers, but any suggestions besides?

SumDude

Reaction score
looks good! I'm guessing it was a Euro shop you went to, all those VW's and Audi's in the backround, IIRC didn't you used to have a GTI?

The new Supra is a Euro car other than the Toyota steering wheel and suspension tuning. Just about everything else is by BMW. The Euro shop I take my Audi to was working/modifying one not to long ago. Such a cool car!

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also have walnut daltons. I have a hard time with matching the color, I got AE's cream, but it's not the same shade, it's more yellow/orange and looks weird on the wing's and heel counter.

Never had a VW; past couple of cars have been BMW and Subaru.

As to Walnut I have 3 other pairs in Walnut. I wear them mostly with Navy or any blue, green, rust, burgundy pretty much any earth tone and blue.

Some examples:
IMG_2494.JPG IMG_4433.jpg IMG_4557.jpg IMG_4571.jpg IMG_4819.jpg

The new Supra is a Euro car other than the Toyota steering wheel and suspension tuning. Just about everything else is by BMW. The Euro shop I take my Audi to was working/modifying one not to long ago. Such a cool car!

Other than the bodywork/design it's a BMW Z4 and I'm sure a few other bits and bob's.

The shop is primarily VW/AUDI but they handle most anything German. I'll add a catback in a few months once I pay off my recent shoe acquisitions, the mods to my R9T and taxes.

Wore Frosties today but didn't have time for a pick I'll snap one later today. I may change the laces again, I thought white would be better than the tinsel like silver they came with but perhaps a light gray would work better.

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember the name of this style. But I like it.
View attachment 1603670
Acheson. It is starting to come back now.

I like the Acheson a lot. Have a pair in Olive suede and they always bring a smile to my face!

I believe I have the exact same pair of Aldens. I haven't worn them for a few months, as sadly they are stranded back home in NY.

Model 9854... Real classics! Rats, you fled NY, aka Escape from New York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads