• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the white suede Nomads again today since it was around 89F and I was going to be walking around outside for about three hours. The last the Nomad is made on is very comfortable for my size 8.5 EEEE foot when wearing size 9 EEE Nomads with A-E orthotic insoles in them.

View attachment 1604603

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, a picture showing how well white suede Nomads go with white Angel's Trumpets.

View attachment 1604605

This picture also shows once again my belt does not match my shoes. Am wearing a Darcy Clothing Company snake belt. The most famous snake belt wearer was probably Rangi Ram on the British television series. "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum". He wore his snake belt on his turban.

Here's a picture of Battery Sergeant Major Williams and Rangi Ram wearing his snake belt on his turban.

View attachment 1604606

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a Chicken Curry Salad sandwich and me at Lemonade. Didn't think the sandwich was very good. It seemed to be around 95% apple, 3% chicken, and 2% cucumber. Have no idea why it came in a bowl instead of on a plate.

View attachment 1604615

The sandwich in the Lemonade advertisements on Facebook looks like it has more chicken in it as well as something orange color in it.

View attachment 1604618

For fans of car pictures in shoe threads, a picture I took on Friday when I went to the barber shop. It's the current version of the Bijan car, a yellow Rolls-Royce, parked in front of the Bijan store on Rodeo Drive. There are usually swarms of tourists taking their pictures with the Bijan car. For the last year there haven't been many tourists and many hotels are still closed or have recently reopened on the off chance anyone wants to stay in them. Yes, Bijan also has a special yellow Bijan parking meter. As Don King would say, "Only in Beverly Hills".

View attachment 1604622
My favourite post of the week.

Do you ask strangers to take pictures of you? Or do you have a friend who goes on these jaunts with you?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And why it literally pained me to return a Leeds 2.0 in Tan Calfskin F2 (with no visible defects) because it was much too tight even though I really wanted it because AE no longer makes the Leed's in anything other than "boring black" and "cigar".
to be fair, cigar is awesome

Do you ask strangers to take pictures of you? Or do you have a friend who goes on these jaunts with you?
He uses a selfie-pod kind of tripod thing. He posted a picture of it before

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Neo1--

So you're saying that the fit of the Hamilton will depend on the type of leather used? I hadn't even considered that. The large-fitting pair I bought last year in size 13 was in fact the Cognac (how did you know?) with what I believe they called "tumbled leather." The style is great, but they feel like they are a full size too large when wearing anything but thick, itchy, woolen hiking socks: I lift my foot off the ground and wiggle back & forth at the ankle, and the boot slops around out of sync with my foot. This pair fits like I imagine a size 14 would, as opposed to a 13.5, if such a thing existed.

The pair I pulled the trigger on last night @20 minutes before the sale ended is this one:

They are calling it "European weatherproof leather" in the ad copy. Per the advice of the gentleman above, I went with a size 12.5 as that locks me into the sale price should the fit be too snug and I need a 13.

You're saying I should expect a different fit with the pair I ordered last night as compared to the fit I experience with the Cognac pair, solely based on the type of leather? I still can't figure out why the Hamilton in Cognac, size 13D, fits so enormous when my Strands & McAllisters are a perfect fit in a 13E...
So please bear in mind I'm no expert and never claimed to be - we have shoenut for that. However, given that I own over 110 pairs of AE alone and have tried over that amount, I can comment on my own experience / observations.

The Strands & McAllisters are dress calf styles which I've consistently found to run tighter and more snug than the casual styles, right off the bat. As a follow-up, I have definitely found that when they do the same platform in suede or kudu, it definitely seems to run lower volume / tighter than cxl or grain (or sometimes even calf). Finally, even though I've never tried anything with the "weatherproof" designation my hunch is that the last is the last, meaning they aren't accomodating to an insole like with the 42N or 511G. If that is true, then the 65 with poron, or with a weatherproof membrane lining the inside will necessarily feel tighter, since the addition of the poron or lining must serve to reduce the volume. With all these things taken into account, the 65-last (or any other last) may feel quite different across different styles. Not necessarily enough to change sizes, but definitely a different fit.

Going back to personal experience, I literally couldn't wear the Neumok 2.0 in the cxl - it just felt like at least a full width too wide and maybe a quarter size too long. I tried the kudu later - much better, fit very well. I later tried the Surrey captoe & chelsea in the tan sonoma calf - both felt large and voluminous. Picked up the nubuck chelsea - that not only fits tighter all-around but is borderline too short for me.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks tassel Tuesday

PXL_20210504_133829706.jpg
PXL_20210504_205714491.jpg
PXL_20210504_205725411.jpg

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rock Maritimes and sometimes my lone pair of Kirkwoods, although the Kirkwoods or mostly beater shoes by now.

I think I read somewhere that the Maritime is made on a different last name? I bought four pairs of them all at once during a Father’s Day sale back in 2015 or 2016. Each pair was $125 each and they were probably the best purchases I made that year. Almost wish I had stocked up on even more.

(also, lately I have been wearing a pair of low top Converse Chuck 70s - the much more comfortable/higher quality version of the classic Chuck Taylors), but they have a very different aesthetic and vibe. Since I am still a hair under 40 years old, I guess I can get away with it.)
Wait just a gotdang minute. Are Maritimes discontinued?? Why??

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gimme a break - now that I have 4 pairs of Aldens, 8 Grant Stone, 3 from Quoddy, 1 Red Wing and finally two pairs of western boots, we can at least say I'm finally trying to branch out a little beyond AE.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait just a gotdang minute. Are Maritimes discontinued?? Why??
With 4 Maritimes & 2 Kirkwoods I think I was in the same boat as yourself - until I tried the Quoddy boat shoe. The Maritime is good, don't get me wrong. The Quoddy is just plain better. And I'm sure the Rancourt is too.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With 4 Maritimes & 2 Kirkwoods I think I was in the same boat as yourself - until I tried the Quoddy boat shoe. The Maritime is good, don't get me wrong. The Quoddy is just plain better. And I'm sure the Rancourt is too.
If you like Quoddy then you'll love Rancourt.

Actually, the more apt comment is that you should get both. In this case they actually are pretty different. While the quality is similar, I find Rancourt to be a significantly more structured shoe whereas my pair of Quoddy are pretty floppy and unsupportive (in part due to having chromepak soles). I have several pairs of Rancourts and one pair of Quoddy.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very excited to post my newest addition to the wardrobe... No spoiler for the goodies!

I've been after one of these for a long time, but it was never in the cards. When the opportunity presented itself, and with a few milestones approaching, including the birth of my first child I decided now was the time.

I keep eyeing my wrist during the day and I've momentarily stopped shoe gazing. Datejust on Super Jubilee, and this one has really knocked it out of the park; it's even better than photos suggest. I've certainly done some serious damage to the shoe budget for the foreseeable future!!

Without further ado...

PXL_20210503_213148217.jpg
PXL_20210503_213154164.jpg
PXL_20210504_012009470.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. Glad you like the pictures. Used to ask random people or whoever I was with to take the pictures.

Then I began taking the pictures myself using some combination of the things in this picture and in addition, sometimes also using a light weight portable Amazon tripod.

P1140810.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very excited to post my newest addition to the wardrobe... No spoiler for the goodies!

I've been after one of these for a long time, but it was never in the cards. When the opportunity presented itself, and with a few milestones approaching, including the birth of my first child I decided now was the time.

I keep eyeing my wrist during the day and I've momentarily stopped shoe gazing. Datejust on Super Jubilee, and this one has really knocked it out of the park; it's even better than photos suggest. I've certainly done some serious damage to the shoe budget for the foreseeable future!!

Without further ado...

View attachment 1604832View attachment 1604833View attachment 1604834
Sorry, but all I see is 15 to 20 lost pairs of footwear. If I could walk around naked with just awesome shoes, I would! There, I said it!

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score

Without further ado...

View attachment 1604832View attachment 1604833View attachment 1604834
Love it. Congrats!

happypebble

Reaction score
Hey AE experts: I was looking at their loafers and was wondering if folks had a favorite model. Is there any one that stands out above the rest, or one to avoid?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Glad you like the pictures. Used to ask random people or whoever I was with to take the pictures.

Then I began taking the pictures myself using some combination of the things in this picture and in addition, sometimes also using a light weight portable Amazon tripod.

View attachment 1604843
That is a great little trick. I'll have to get one!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.