• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about the post from @Buster Brown. All of my shoes in 9D are too small now. Will I end up a 10.5D? My only saving grace is that my foot print has always resembled a right triangle. I don’t think my foot could get any flatter.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, not in my size at all. :/ Boo urns.
I am thinking that the textured PA had to be made for another retailer.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

222.jpeg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you, if a girl calls you daddy, she likes the old man shoes.

There ain't nothin' wrong with wearing classic style.
I love it when you call me big Pappa!

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Dalton:

or Hamilton:

No... both is not an option

Jimmy R

Reaction score
Dalton:

or Hamilton:

Dalton. I had those brown Hamiltons. The piping wore away where the laces rubbed exposing what looked like faux-leather beneath after only wearing two days. I sent them back and am waiting on shell Hamiltons because I love the style. A good alternative is the new pair of Chili Hamiltons. They look like they're made better.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone mind listing the loafers in terms of most formal to business casual? There are so many options I don't know wtf is what.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dalton:

or Hamilton:

Hamilton.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celebrating everyone's favorite day, Wingtip Wednesday, by wearing walnut Lombards and waiting to cross to the street to get to the shady side of Sunset Blvd.

View attachment 1473210

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, aboard the Metro Red Line subway enroute to the Vermont/Sunset station and demonstrating my advanced mask wearing skills by getting my blue face mask to coordinate with the blue graphic on the wall behind me.

View attachment 1473212

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a slice of pumpkin spice bundt cake and me at the Alcove Cafe & Bakery on Hillhurst Avenue in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles. (Got a slice with a little pumpkin on it.)

Wore a silk blend jacket, a silk tie, and a silk pocket square since both silk and spice are made by worms.

View attachment 1473213

Recently unicorns were once again mentioned in this group. However no one has clarified if any of these unicorns are reckless unicorns. (One of the unicorns in his group looked like a frog.)

View attachment 1473216

Was that a Dune reference in a Roycru post?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would someone mind listing the loafers in terms of most formal to business casual? There are so many options I don't know wtf is what.
What a can of worms this question opens. I don’t think any two guys would have the same style for style answer. But here are some basics. Welted is more formal than non-welted. No tassels are more formal than tassels. Full strap is more formal than half strap and half strap is more formal than a beef roll. Monocromática stitching is more formal than contrast stitching. Leather sole is more formal than rubber soles. There are so many loafer combinations that pure ranking is difficult. One more twist, what is a loafer? Would you consider a loafer a shoe that has no closure attachments or any shoe that you can slip into with a shoehorn. I am talking about monks. Then again are we talking about traditional formal or a modern formal? I can see this going sideways quick.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frankenloafer is the best loafer.
6E93A63F-C916-4AB0-A930-AEAE8B68D7CF.jpeg

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Thinking about the post from @Buster Brown. All of my shoes in 9D are too small now. Will I end up a 10.5D? My only saving grace is that my foot print has always resembled a right triangle. I don’t think my foot could get any flatter.

You may be in luck. For me, it was collapsing of my arches and rotation of my large toes (bunions). The prescription was orthotic inserts that push the interior sides of my feet up and provide some arch support. I'm honestly not sure what accounts for me needing a longer shoe. As best I can figure it, the positioning of my forefoot is different and the volume of the insert necessitates a larger shoe all around.

The worst part is the inserts cost as much as shoes and you need multiple sets. I never knew someone made a Teva style sandal designed to accept orthotics - but I'm damn glad they do!

To turn this back toward AE, I really appreciate the Nomad collection. Much more interesting than the old Road Warriors. Two opportunities for improvement though:

1) The Nomad shoe heel cup is lower than the Road Warrior. If you're using your own inserts, this can be just enough difference to 'unseat' the heel and make the shoe unwearable.

2) The Noman chukkas become painfully tight across the vamp if you're using an insert larger than the removable one provided by AE.

I suppose some (most?) buyers wear the Nomads as is but for those of us with custom inserts, they're practically our only choice and a little more volume would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads