• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newberry

Reaction score

I just got my Clark Street shoes in the mail today and I'll have to return them because the split toe on the left shoe is not straight like the right one. Sadly I dont think they have anymore my size. It's a shame too because I really wanted to like these shoes.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look very nice. Does this walnut look darker than in the past like some folks have been reporting? I always imagine it being a much lighter color.

Sadly I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I have serious fit problems with mine. I just emailed my store about them, I'm hoping they have some suggestions. I think I've worn them a bit too much to return at this point. Sadly it usually takes me too long to realize when when my shoes don't fit.

These looked lighter before I added some brown polish.

Jaded Hedonist

Reaction score
Just receibef an email about a brand new AE outlet store opening in Paramus,NJ, today.

The announcement says grand opening savings on any full priced AE branded shoes, belts or accessoriesat the new store.

Anyone know what this discount is?

sruchris

Reaction score
A few days ago a became excited when a pair of like-new black Bayfields in my size hit ebay. As a boot fan, of course I bid and won. The boots arrived today. Unlike my Daltons, which pinch, these fit perfectly. As I was celebrating, it hit me...... I don't have anything to wear with them and don't know how to wear these without looking like a 13yr old dressing up for Easter Sunday. My workplace dress code is casual; jeans, chinos, sweaters, dress shirts, etc.... Any ideas?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A question for Rutledge owners. I have never tried the Rutledge or any other shoe on that last and I have poor fit with balmoral laces. Is the shoe similar to the 65 last or more roomy like the 97? Any insight would be helpful as I am not near any stores to try on similar shoes.

If you're able to get a Rutledge, jump on it!
In my experience, the 333 is longer than the 65, has more width across the ball of the foot and the toes, has less volume above the toes, but has more volume overall. An 11D in the 333 is perfect for me, as is the 108. I have to go up to 11E in the 65, which gives me too much room in the heel and too much volume above the toes. Curiously, I still have a bit more v-gap in the wider 65s than in the 333.

Aesthetically, I think the 333 is sleeker, but is still a better fit anatomically than the 65. YMMV.

Hope this helps ...

Scarlet

Reaction score
A few days ago a became excited when a pair of like-new black Bayfields in my size hit ebay. As a boot fan, of course I bid and won. The boots arrived today. Unlike my Daltons, which pinch, these fit perfectly. As I was celebrating, it hit me...... I don't have anything to wear with them and don't know how to wear these without looking like a 13yr old dressing up for Easter Sunday. My workplace dress code is casual; jeans, chinos, sweaters, dress shirts, etc.... Any ideas?

My immediate thought is olive chinos or wool pants... not sure where I'd go from there. Maybe a gray tweed jacket.

sruchris

Reaction score
My immediate thought is olive chinos or wool pants... not sure where I'd go from there. Maybe a gray tweed jacket.

Thanks. Olive chinos, black jeans and gray wool pants. I forgot how hard it is to wear black shoes casually!

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Badass black boots can be worn with jeans or chinos and a sweater. I'd avoid dress shirts without a sweater or jacket. And I wouldn't wear wool trousers with them, but that's me. Black and white herringbone jacket if you want to dress it up.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My walnut First Avenues arrived. With a little snow on the ground, I had a good opportunity to wear them.
I think they're great!

This was probably the best $38.50 (plus shipping) that I've ever spent.
Hypothetically.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my bourbon Daltons showed up today and I'm MORE than happy with them. Was a little apprehensive as the bourbon color seems to be a little more inconsistent, from what I can gather, than other AE colors, but these look great! They're 2nds, so a few small imperfections, but for $197 they're a steal IMO.

However.......these guys are squeaking like a mofo. Certainly, this will go away as they get broken in with time, but any suggestions in terms of treatments that might help push it along a little bit? Saphir Renovateur? Bick 4? I also have AE conditioner. I've heard some people say that the bourbon color is a little more sensitive to discoloration than other AE colors, so I'm trying to be extra cautious about not doing anything to screw the color up. 

Bick 4 worked for me with the exact same issue. A couple of coats inside and out after the first couple of wears. Love the bourbon color! I haven't had any discoloration with Bick, but black or bourbon polish will work to restore if needed.

Bonus tip: tie the laces very tight when you're not wearing them to train the side panels to lay flat.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for Rutledge owners. I have never tried the Rutledge or any other shoe on that last and I have poor fit with balmoral laces. Is the shoe similar to the 65 last or more roomy like the 97? Any insight would be helpful as I am not near any stores to try on similar shoes.

More roomy than the 97 - holy cow. Based on that I have to say my answer is either 1.) I have no idea or 2.) A balmoral on the 333 will probably bother you just as much. The 97 toebox is significantly narrower than the 65 or 333 so the fact that you like it more means it's just a better shaped last for you all around, making it difficult to either recommend or not recommend the 333.

In the absence of the 97 comment, the 333 definitely runs roomier than the 65 (comparing same size, apples to apples). As far as balmoral 333 (vamp / arch fit) - I found it better than the 65, but if you hate the 65 bal fit, my guess is you won't like the 333 bal fit either.

K2793

Reaction score
Hi All,

New college grad to the workforce, entering public accounting. Big fan of AEs and was wondering if anyone could give me input on what models to go for next.

I have Black PAs, Dark Brown PAs, and Bourbon Strands. Only wearing the Black PAs for formal events - have been rotating the Dark Brown PAs and Strands, however the Dark Browns are somewhat formal imo and maybe a bit darker than I originally preferred, after thinking about them now that I've owned for a while and been wearing them to work.

My dress code is professional business casual, dress shirt and a slacks - don't need a suit or tie. I typically wear nice navy/charcoal slacks for bottoms.

I was thinking of going for Fifth Aves - but can't decide between Brown, Bourbon, or Chili. Not sure if the Fifth Ave Brown is just as dark as the Dark Brown PAs. Also not sure if I should get two pairs of shoes in Bourbon, and then for Chili I just don't know if it's versatile enough as some of the pictures I have seen look quite red.

Definitely want to throw another pair into my rotation, just looking for a versatile suggestion. Is the Fifth Ave the way to go, and if so what color do you think? Open to any other recommendations as well. Cheers

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was probably the best $38.50 (plus shipping) that I've ever spent.
Hypothetically.

While you're on the subject of the 1st ave - would you be able to compare the fit against a blucher on the 65 & 201? I have the Freiburg and Sauk Drive - the Freiburg isn't bad if I use heavy socks and lace it as tight as possible but it's a little loose still. The Sauk, with more eyelets and more ability to go tighter, is obviously better. The 1st ave uses speedhooks towards the top, so I was thinking fewer eyelets would mean a looser fit - was looking for a yay or nay.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a size 11 E on the Franciscans (my only AE shoes so far) and would like to get a pair of Daltons from the Shoe Bank. What size should I go with, given that I will be wearing thicker socks with the Daltons? Thanks

I'm an 11D on the Franciscan last (333) and for the Dalton. The Dalton fit is fine but close to being too short - the toe has relatively little taper from the widest point and is a bit shorter than some of the other lasts. If I wanted to wear thick socks, I'd go up a half size to 11.5D. Based on that, I'd guess 11.5E would be a good starting point.

Disclaimers: your feet are probably different than mine, and comparing single monks to blucher boots is an inexact science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads