Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Funny you should post this. I just ordered my first pair of AE boots about 30 minutes ago when I saw that a pair of walnut dainite Daltons in my size on the bank. $197 just seemed to good to pass up. I probably would have still gone with the walnut even if I had a choice of black in my size.

I also have the same 3 color shoes in my lineup as you do and dress similarly for work. Walnut seems to show off the Dalton a bit better than black to me and it just works so well with denim. I've never seen them in person but based on pictures online they do both look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have worn these about 5 times since I got them Thanksgiving. But I have a lot of shoes, so none of my AE's get worn a lot. I have the Odenwald in black chromexcel and I wear them most weekends and they still look almost new. I really like the chromexcel for its durability.

I wear the Clark Streets to work with wool slacks and twills coupled with a sport shirt and sport coat and I like the look. I also wore them once with jeans and I really liked that combination.

I think if you keep them conditioned with AE Leather Lotion they will stay looking nice enough for slacks and a sport coat - maybe not dark grey slacks and dark solid sport coat, but definitely any other slacks and a lighter colored or patterned sport coat.

Chris

3. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

The Lexington for me does feel like there's a good amount of volume in the toe area, but the ball and instep fit very well for me. The heel is great too, no slip for me. I wish my Alden Barrie-last PTB's (7E) had a narrower heel like the 7EEE Lexingtons.

I should rephrase my statement. The overall length of my Bartletts seems appropriate for a 7EEE, but the H-B portion seems much longer (less toe area).

The 7EE Dundees I happily got from you are a close (but good) fit for me with thin socks, but I wouldn't be able to wear a medium weight sock with them. On the 65 last I can't wear 7EEE bals due to the instep being too tight. 7.5EEE I can just get away with (and wear thin or medium weight socks). My 7.5EE 65 last bals limit the ways I can lace them, otherwise they get painful on my instep. I can't wear medium weight socks with these or I get pain on my instep and the ball area doesn't feel wide enough.

4. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Sounds great. I think I'm going to love them then. Thanks.

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    A question for Rutledge owners. I have never tried the Rutledge or any other shoe on that last and I have poor fit with balmoral laces. Is the shoe similar to the 65 last or more roomy like the 97? Any insight would be helpful as I am not near any stores to try on similar shoes.

6. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I don't see EE as a width option for Dundees, was the 7EE a special order or was it an option at one time?

7. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I got lucky and cashed in on gatszu's spare shell SMU Dundees [​IMG]. You can get SMUs in non-standard sizes.

8. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Yeah, that's the stuff. Those look real sharp in burgundy.

9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I like the Clark Street. My pair in natural CXL gets some scratches on the sides. My brown pair doesn't seem to do that. It's not a big deal to me.

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

It's a little longer/roomier than the 65. I'm a 12B on the 65, but bought my Rutledges before I figured that out. They are an 11D and I have some cramping of my pinky toe, a sign that my toes have reached the end of the toe box. I think that an 11.5B would be my correct fit.

11. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

I'll echo what Chris is saying and add that what I love about this shoe is that the stitching really pops IMO. I also got the brown and my shoes are actually a tad darker than what it looks like in Chris' pic here. Because I like the stitching and dont want it to get tainted with brown wax polish, im treating them with Saphir Renovateur and their clear wax polish. Ive given them several coats and the stitching still looks great. Really sharp looking shoe, very comfortable and versatile. At $157 its a steal. Enjoy

EDIT: looks like theyre $137 now on Shoebank. Even better!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

12. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

The 333 last Rutledge is much better for high insteps than the 65 last IMO. The toe area is a bit longer and I find the ball of the foot to be a slight bit wider too.

13. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Member

Which store did you get the McGregors from? I have pair from Florida outlet on way - good success rate with them so far.

14. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

They were from Port Washington customer service

15. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

I love mine. I think they're a fantastic shoe for casual wear like jeans and chinos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.