Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Not a wedding or a funeral but a meeting with a one down from our CEO today qualified as an occasion to break out the Hopkinsons for their maiden voyage.

Kudos to my Scottsdale store for recommending them - these shoes fit me so much better than the Park Aves did. Absolutely love them.

[​IMG]

2. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Thanks - after seeing your picture I was thinking it would work well with spring palletes... definitely something to think about. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

3. Paniolo

Paniolo Member

Are those walnut or bourbon?

4. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Walnut.

Bourbon has black edging.

6. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

These pics make me think about how cool a boot based on the Rogue would be.

Bernie

7. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Chili PA's and cashmere/wool on a slightly chilly Thursday.

[​IMG]

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Took a cordovan family photo today. All but two of these are AE:

[​IMG]

9. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

So just an update on my fitting issues:

I called customer service today to ask about getting a return for my (worn) 11D PAs that do not work for my feet. The short answer is that they wanted me to contact the store where I purchased them as it will need to be handled on the store level. I said OK and called the sales rep up who was the one that fixed my fit issues. He said that I should bring the shoes in to see what they can do and that anything that can be done would be somewhat unusual for them to do, which I think is BS. You should not let people walk out the door with just saying "oh, those will break in, don't worry!" when in reality you are selling them a shoe that is a full size too short!

Anyway, looks like I'm off to the AE store to see what can be done! If it's not satisfactory, I plan to bring the issue back to customer service. One thing I did ask was if I could exchange them for a factory second. I guess we'll see what happens.

10. Paniolo

Paniolo Member

I'm a size 11 E on the Franciscans (my only AE shoes so far) and would like to get a pair of Daltons from the Shoe Bank. What size should I go with, given that I will be wearing thicker socks with the Daltons? Thanks

11. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

So my bourbon Daltons showed up today and I'm MORE than happy with them. Was a little apprehensive as the bourbon color seems to be a little more inconsistent, from what I can gather, than other AE colors, but these look great! They're 2nds, so a few small imperfections, but for $197 they're a steal IMO.

However.......these guys are squeaking like a mofo. Certainly, this will go away as they get broken in with time, but any suggestions in terms of treatments that might help push it along a little bit? Saphir Renovateur? Bick 4? I also have AE conditioner. I've heard some people say that the bourbon color is a little more sensitive to discoloration than other AE colors, so I'm trying to be extra cautious about not doing anything to screw the color up.

12. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Judging by the pics, these don't get much love around here but these are my absolute favorites..

[​IMG]

13. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

Finally decided to see for myself why people love their AEs. Now I know. Last month I got 2 pair of seconds. One was to be for khakis and slacks, the others, for jeans. I actually wear them both with slacks or jeans and find they both work for business casual. Interestingly, the McGregors were roomy and super comfy right out of the box. The McTavish, on the other hand, fit quite snug and rubbed a bit with thin dress socks. They loosened up now but being unlined, I still find MTs are not quite as comfortable as the MGs. Same size, same last. Go figure. Anyway, can't wait to go summer sockless with MTs. I've lost count how many compliments I've gotten from complete strangers but I'd say more the MTs. Maybe its the bold contrast stitching combined with the layered brogue look. Anyway, I'm loving them! Was considering a pair of Daltons but there were no sales. I snapped up a pair of Grenson Freds in calfskin. Completely different look and feel. Big, chunky, roomy. A bit more like a construction boot. I'm thinking, maybe I should have stuck with the Daltons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

[​IMG]
    My walnut First Avenues arrived. With a little snow on the ground, I had a good opportunity to wear them.
    I think they're great!

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

They look very nice. Does this walnut look darker than in the past like some folks have been reporting? I always imagine it being a much lighter color.

Sadly I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I have serious fit problems with mine. I just emailed my store about them, I'm hoping they have some suggestions. I think I've worn them a bit too much to return at this point. Sadly it usually takes me too long to realize when when my shoes don't fit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.