• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:

201 Last

The 201 last is the newest last introduction from the Product Development team. This last has a higher cone, providing more room for a higher instep and contemporary shelf appeal. The toe down has fuller forefoot width for more comfort and slight chisel to the toe profile, providing a sleek looking aesthetic which complements our iconic 65 last.

Shoes built on 201 last

I have had 3 different SAs measure me and they all reached the same conclusion as to sizing.

I will stop by and see how the other sizes fit.[/COLOR]
BTW, the Rogue, currently on closeout prices, is also built on the 201 last.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK - a couple quick pix before I escape for the weekend...

The McTavish Army

Cognac (4045) --> "Tan Cognac" (also 4045, but seconds presumably due to color - looked like antiqued tan IMHO) --> Tan (4035)

The color accuracy here isn't 100%, but it is pretty darn close. The tan toness are a little less orange in real life.
Looking at these again on my notebook screen (which is newer and better than the desktop I edited these on), I'd say they're actually really, really close...

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clark Street today. These are usually reserved for no-show socks in late spring/summer, but it seems we skipped winter and spring this year in Texas. Decided to try them with socks today, with hopes of playing off the red dainite.

22busy

Reaction score

My clearance Rogues ($181 is stealing) with a lame copycat attempt of Watchidiot's pose. I wasn't sure if I'd go for these shoes given the exaggerated features, but I really like this as a smart casual alternative. My style would stay away from business suits for these, but I can easily work these into a Friday business casual jacket/slacks rotation or weekend denim. A really solid shoe in my opinion. Interesting that the dark chili versions live on with no price break; probably because they look so dang sweet.
I wish I had gotten these instead of the walnut strands. I think last would have been a better fit, and it would have been a better option for how a would wear a walnut shoe. Like you, dress pants and dress shirt with maybe odd jacket. I find it hard to wear the strands any dressier than that anyway.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still enjoying my McGregor seconds. Slightly sad that the price dropped $20? Almost. I snagged a Dainite model which was my preference, so the cost is justified. The alignment of the shoes is slightly off but I really don't mind. Tried several different lacing set-ups and arrived at this variant on bar lacing for a cleaner look.

Dario65

Reaction score
EDIT: Added a 2nd pic that better represents how the boots look indoors. They can look reddish outside.

Freiburgs arrived the other day. Hard shoe to photograph - I can't capture the richness of the color. After they arrived I was wearing them around the house. The wife saw them and said "those aren't going back." These are her 2nd favorite shoes for me behind my cordovan Dundees. These look much better in person. I'll work on getting a better pic.

Saw Odenwalds in person yesterday. Not the best looking boot to me, but much nice than I expected based on the AE pics. They had a natural edge. You never know until you get your hands on them.

(One more comment since I'm here editing - really just venting. In line for espresso at work today. Guy behind me in line was wearing running shoes, worn out camo shorts, and a t-shirt. I work at a casual company where jeans are acceptable every day, but for Pert's sake - old, ripped camo shorts at work? How the hell does somebody consider that acceptable?)

Last edited:

Dario65

Reaction score
BTW, the Rogue, currently on closeout prices, is also built on the 201 last.
201 is odd last for me. I'm an EEE. They are tight in the wide part, not unacceptably so, and loose everywhere else. They look longer on the foot relative to other lasts.

alexnb

Reaction score
Had a busy day working from yesterday, so I wasn't able to post pics. Dark brown Kirkwoods in 9D, my 5-last size. Picked up for $77 a week or two before they dropped to $57. They are a little loose compared to the blue 9Bs I own but still fit well.
Great looking shoes! I just got giving mine a huge cleaning. Probably worn them 75 times since I got them.

robster35

Reaction score

I am still enjoying my McGregor seconds. Slightly sad that the price dropped $20? Almost. I snagged a Dainite model which was my preference, so the cost is justified. The alignment of the shoes is slightly off but I really don't mind. Tried several different lacing set-ups and arrived at this variant on bar lacing for a cleaner look.

r those chili ?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add my experience to the 1943 vs. 65 lasts debate, I direct compared a Strand and a Yorktown in store last week and I found the 1943 to run narrower in the toes, maybe as a result of being shorter overall.
r those chili ?
Dark brown. I haven't added an ounce of polish, the finish was good from the factory. The photo makes them look lighter than they are.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes! I just got giving mine a huge cleaning. Probably worn them 75 times since I got them.

I bought the navy Kirkwoods and light brown Maritimes when they first came out. Great excuse to pick up quality firsts for $125 and connect with the folks at the new store that opened in my area. I remember either Earl (from Leads store) or Paul G (maybe during an AMA) saying the first thing he would do is get them wet and wear em. Well, first wear of the Mari's I had to walk thru a set of rogue sprinklers. Man did those shoes fit great after that!

My house shoes were breaking down, so I thought the Kirkwood 2nds might work. Didn't want to pay the upcharge for the light brown so I went with the dark brown. They are so nice, that I haven't wanted to delegate them to house shoes - and the color matches almost identically to the lighter brown that I liked so much.

Nolaman

Reaction score
My clearance Rogues ($181 is stealing) with a lame copycat attempt of Watchidiot's pose. I wasn't sure if I'd go for these shoes given the exaggerated features, but I really like this as a smart casual alternative. My style would stay away from business suits for these, but I can easily work these into a Friday business casual jacket/slacks rotation or weekend denim. A really solid shoe in my opinion. Interesting that the dark chili versions live on with no price break; probably because they look so dang sweet.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fairgate shell Friday.

barrance

Reaction score
EDIT: added a 2nd pic that shows the color and real look of the boot better.

Freiburgs arrived the other day. Hard shoe to photograph - I can't capture the richness of the color. After they arrived I was wearing them around the house. The wife saw them and said "those aren't going back." These are her 2nd favorite shoes for me behind my cordovan Dundees. These look much better in person. I'll work on getting a better pic.

Saw Odenwalds in person yesterday. Not the best looking boot to me, but much nice than I expected based on the AE pics. They had a natural edge. You never know until you get your hands on them.

(One more comment since I'm here editing - really just venting. In line for espresso at work today. Guy behind me in line was wearing running shoes, worn out camo shorts, and a t-shirt. I work at a casual company where jeans are acceptable every day, but for Pert's sake - old, ripped camo shorts at work? How the hell does somebody consider that acceptable?)

I had 95% convinced myself to pick up the tan Freiburgs and then you had to go and post this...

It's crazy how the color varies between the 1st and 2nd picture. More red in the former, brown in the latter. What made you choose the brown over the tan? I'm looking for the color that would be the most versatile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads