1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior Member

Anyone experimented with darkening Dark Chili closer to Dark Brown? Would some brown shoe cream to the trick?

2. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Changing the color of an AE shoe?
    Who would ever do that? Why?

3. mreams99

Are you just wanting to try a subtle change? If so, you could try brown shoe cream, and slowly darken them.
    If you want a permanent change (with no going back), you could try dying them. That is a bigger gamble.

I actually have a pair of dark chili Rogues that are more brown than I expected. I like having that little bit of a reddish tint in the chili, and wish that mine were a little more red.

4. texas9

texas9 Member

d

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

5. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior Member

Been talking with the wife. Would the misaligned toe drive any of you crazy enough to not want these boots at seconds sale pricing from last week?

Better put what would you do if you had the following choices?

Return and buy a pair of shell cordovan firsts

Keep and add a pair of non cordovan firsts

Appreciate the feedback as I grow my collection. Whoever said I was naive stopping at 6 pairs was absolutely right, lol.

Here's the toe again;

[​IMG]

6. mreams99

I would keep them.

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

That wouldn't bother me at all. What I would do is hem and haw about it to the wife, all the while wearing them and acting indecisive, until she tells you to go ahead and get the Shell, just to shut you up.

8. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think I agree. I'm leaning towards something else in Oxblood to match my Daltons. I just love the color.

Plenty of time for shell down the road.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

9. cc808314

cc808314 Senior Member

They look fine. Stop stressing and enjoy them. Redirect your energy towards convincing your wife on the next pair.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Senior Member

Not necessarily. I get undesirable sized v-gap and bulging on the sides caused by flat feet pushing on the sides (and I have low insteps).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

11. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

If you got those at a store, the SA certainly should have shown you 1) The Bartlett, 2) a Strand in 8.5EE or 8.5EEE. I don't know how much space you have in front of your toes, so going up in # may or may not be an option. The reason I bring up the 201 Bartlett, is because according to AE's info on lasts, it both has a higher cone and more room in the forefoot which might address both of @texas9's issues, and one of yours. Ultimately, if YOU are fine with the gap, and are happy with your Strands who am I (or anyone) to kill your buzz. But I still think the SA was a bit derelict, although with the way it seems they are stocking the stores, the SA may not have had options to show you. At the very least, next time you get a chance, you may want to try something a Balmoral in the 201 so you know for sure how it fits your feet and compares to the 65. The big drawback to the Bartlett and the Independence line is the higher cost, which gets you better leather.

[​IMG]

201 Last

The 201 last is the newest last introduction from the Product Development team. This last has a higher cone, providing more room for a higher instep and contemporary shelf appeal. The toe down has fuller forefoot width for more comfort and slight chisel to the toe profile, providing a sleek looking aesthetic which complements our iconic 65 last.

Shoes built on 201 last

12. Moose22

Moose22 Senior Member

I actually have a normal arch. High instep. My feet are just fat closer to the toes than most folks.

Anyway, I saw no Michael Carter model when I looked. I vaguely remember it from last fall, but it didn't exist when I was searching at the beginning of the year, and I just searched specifically and it didn't come up. I did find a couple of pictures of it on the google and they're all in black, so it would be a no-go anyway. Was that on the 201 last?

What was the deal with that? Just a sharkskin patch and a weird color eyelet, right? I don't know who Michael Carter is, but he must have some signature style thing for green or an 80s fetish from the days of Body Glove where everything was trimmed with bright green or yellow. Strange choice for someone to endorse a dress shoe, isn't it?

13. mreams99

He's a basketball player for Milwaukee, and green is the team's color.

14. Moose22

Moose22 Senior Member

Ah, ok.

Even weirder person to endorse a dress shoe. But it explains the strange eyelet.

15. mreams99

It is the "home team" for AE.
    You should see the basketball shoes AE made for him.
    Imagine a green sharkskin Cronmok, with the sole of the Eagle County.
    I wish I had a pair of those!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.