Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrance

barrance Member

I had 95% convinced myself to pick up the tan Freiburgs and then you had to go and post this...

It's crazy how the color varies between the 1st and 2nd picture. More red in the former, brown in the latter. What made you choose the brown over the tan? I'm looking for the color that would be the most versatile.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Wow. Their dark brown color for the past few years has been bordering on black. This color is 100x better.

3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

The most versatile option would be to buy both colors.

4. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Yeah, man, I've been drooling over the Jefferson 2.0s since they came out. Alas, not too much of a color selection, but I really like Merlot and don't have anything like it in my wardrobe. And I still don't have a shortwing.

@Neo1 remember, the 201 is MY last! I know it's a touch too much in the forefoot for you, but as I recall you're a little narrower as well. I got those Rogues last year and they fit so perfectly they felt broken in when I took a walk an hour later. I bet a bal in the same last will break in just like the 333 last.

As for quick breakin, the 333 bluchers were instantly comfortable, too, but the Rutledge was a close second. It started only the tiniest bit tight at the instep. The Rutledge eventually broke in to be my best fitting shoes, it just took a day or two wearing them, and they were never uncomfortable. Even with the "flaw" in my shoebankers (the tongue is slightly off on one shoe, making that one slightly tighter on the top) I can get the gaps closed perfectly and they fit like they were molded to my feet.

Rutledge are Independence line, of course. I'm convinced that the premium leather really is better leather.

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@barrance - Hard to argue with @mreams99 's sound logic.

The major deciding factors for me were 1) I was seeing poor leather quality out of the russet brown (both 1st and 2nds) and 2) I didn't like the black welt.

I love my tan ones!!

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I mentioned last week or so that I was wearing a different pair of AEs each day, in attempt to cycle through my collection and see what really fits, what I should keep, what should be sold off, etc. My collection is mostly on the casual side, though I have occasional needs to be in a suit (or suit sans tie). The ever changing weather and my varied work schedule/dress requirements have made it a fun adventure. I thought I would share a couple of screen grabs from my instagram account (@dapkicks).

Hopefully this can help people differentiate between models, lasts, and colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

And for the record... I blame all of you for this addiction. [​IMG]

8. manowar

manowar Senior member

I was just comparing stock photos of the original Jefferson and the Jefferson 2.0 and what a shock... I actually have the newer model on the 201 last! (no wonder they fit large) They are in black, so not a dead give-away. I got them on eBay for $150 shipped with only slight wear. The 2.0 has heavier broguing and very closely resembles the McAllister... I actually prefer the less bold design of the original, but am happy to have inadvertently acquired the latest model. Redundant for all you veterans I know, but I have pasted the photos here for your consideration.

Jefferson Original / Jefferson 2.0

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Yeah - I'm guessing it's direct vs. indirect light? Don't recall why I went for the russet vs. tan. Since all my shoes get wet frequently, darker works better at hiding any water issues. I tried a pair of tan Gobi boots - the color didn't thrill me. Based on how these look I may try to get the tan as well if they're still available.

Likely not news to you guys, but I just noticed McGregors are $137 on Shoebank. Too bad 65 last doesn't work for me. Seems like a great price.

10. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I've been holding off on purchasing another AE loafer (I own the Presidio) precisely because of the last situation. I loved the 606 in my normal size in the store, then when I bought a pair and had them shipped, it fit completely different and I returned them. Any size change and the heel would slip. I haven't gotten up the gumption to try again.

I'm 36, added a pair of tassels a couple years ago and some Weejuns last summer. As Matt mentioned, loafers seem to be a mainstay for casual wear during the warmer seasons in the South. Many a college student wear boat shoes and moccasins with chinos in the college town where I live. Its a casual shoe for people who dress casually.

Time for my weekly divergence into a rant. I made the same discovery about leather soled shoes a few years ago. 90% of my foot issues went away after switching, and vitamin supplements got rid of the rest. I understand that some people need orthopedics, but most of us don't. Eastland moccasins with Duckhead khaki shorts and a knit shirt were even the norm when I was in grade school (unless you were actually participating in athletic activity). Its really a shame that a couple of athletic wear companies were able to convince entire generations that "casual" equals "athletic wear," and that a shoe form, which completely ignores the natural way most people walk and run, is somehow superior. It isn't about age. It's about being mature enough to realize that athletic wear is appropriate for athletic activity, and that the basic human foot doesn't have soft pads, like many animal paws do, for a reason (and this remains true whether you believe in evolution or design).

If you haven't already, the next step is realizing that natural materials are usually far superior to manmade junk in every way but availability. And the last step is realizing that hand crafted items are almost always superior to heavily automated large-scale production. I remember picking up a pre-1995 Paul Reed Smith guitar for the first time and saying, "Oh! This is what all the fuss was about!"

11. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

How do these fit compared to the Strands or 65 lasted shoes? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

I take a 10E in the 65, 10D in the 201. The 201 still has a little more room in the toe for me. That could also be shoe design though. My Hopkinsons are slightly more snug than my first aves.

Keep in mind that while I've been properly fitted by my local store, I don't own any 65 last shoes yet. Just feedback based on my fitting experience.

I will be better equipped for more details when I get my strands next week.

13. coop23us

coop23us Member

I'm a 9.5 EEE in the 65 (Strand, McGregor, Fifths x 2). Got the same size for the Rogue's 201. Both work for me. The 65 points a bit inward when on my feet while the 201 points straighter. I figure it's a last shape thing for the wide widths in the 65. Maybe the 201 is better-balanced for wide feet. Only 65 issue for me is toe tip wear and minor outer toe irritation after a couple of NYC walking miles.

14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

What did you do to clean them? I beat mine to Hell last Summer. Also, are today's Brown the same as Golden Brown last year? I think my Golden are CXL,but not sure if they are still making them with that leather.

15. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

The ones currently still sold on the website are the golden brown ones. The darker brown ones have been discontinued.

As far as cleaning, what i do is wipe the uppers down with a damp cloth once or twice, and then let them dry. They I apply 1 or 2 coats of neatsfoot oil. It will slightly darken the shoes temporarily, but it helps the leather stay soft and oily; plus it helps hide scuffs and marks. Then, on the soles, the trick is to get a Mr. Clean magic eraser and go to town. They will literally go from a yellow/off-white to a brand new bleach white color. It really is impressive.

Also, I put shoe trees in mine when I am not wearing them.

Hope that is helpful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.