Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitandkaboodle

kitandkaboodle New Member

Just got my chili macgregors firsts that I picked up from the the clearance sale last week and they look amazing!

I love the color but I've noticed some strange creasing in the leather on the uppers. I've never seen anything like this before. Am I being nit picky or is this a construction flaw that warrants returning?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Had a busy day working from yesterday, so I wasn't able to post pics. Dark brown Kirkwoods in 9D, my 5-last size. Picked up for $77 a week or two before they dropped to $57. They are a little loose compared to the blue 9Bs I own but still fit well.
    [​IMG]

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

From the middle picture, MAYBE. But you can't even see it in the bottom pic. Unless it bothers you that much, I'd keep them. You won't even notice in a week.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

4. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

Bourbon Lexingtons with a bunch of other colors (they match the shirt, I promise).

I haven't been able to find a shoe cream or wax that precisely matches, so I'm polishing with all the medium brown things I can find.

[​IMG]

5. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I use the AE bourbon cream polish for a couple coats then a thin layer of black to bring depth to the color.

6. BillyMcGee

BillyMcGee Well-Known Member

For anyone who missed out on the Brogue Suede Strands, check my flair for a pair of new firsts, size 10 D.

7. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

I've seen other use the AE bourbon cream and brush with their black brush. I tried that and it worked well.

These were really inexpensive from the shoe bank, so I want to play with the color!

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I was in the some-what close AE Outlet earlier this week, and there was a pair of boots that had a funny crease in the toe (far more noticeable than that btw). When I reached inside the toe, the crease could be clearly felt through the lining - almost felt like the leather on the other side was cut. I put them back.

If you don't have something like that going on, I'd say those look fine - wear and time in trees will probably make that minimally noticeable at worst. My $0.02

9. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Senior member

I have had 3 different SAs measure me and they all reached the same conclusion as to sizing. I will stop by and see how the other sizes fit.

10. robster35

robster35 Senior member

i didnt have luck with the mcgregors. one pair i ordered one shoe was 1/4 inch wider than the other so i returned em. also ordered an E just to try and probably could have worn those but there was some crazy creasing all over the area above the laces right before the toebox. maybe i could have made it go away somehow. ended up ordering a pair of madison parks from nordstrom to try. they look similar to the mcgregors.....those in your photo dont look too bad id probably keep em

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Moose22 Sorry, didn't realize the MCW was gone. Yeah, it was on the 201. The Harry R stuff on the shoe bank might be good (201) but there's no 1sts for that stuff. You mentioned the Jefferson - I wanted to throw this out there. You know how I said the PA killed me forever while breaking them in? The Jefferson took much shorter- the independence lining really "dampens" that pain at the top. I think it might be worth your consideration.

12. manowar

manowar Senior member

I only just noticed the Jefferson 2.0 is on the 201 last. I have not seen them in person side by side, but it seems that the last difference would distinguish it favorably from the McAllister. I have some original Jeffersons and the leather is amazing, making the fit slightly roomier than other balmorals on the 65 last.

Speaking of Allen Edmonds for Harry Rosen, I was curious when I found the Bloor Street listed on the main AE website for an incredible price awhile back. A balmoral on the 201 last would fit like a dream compared to the PA or Strand. I prefer the less "stubbed" cap toe on this model compared to the PA. But my main hesitation to buy them was the type of grain leather used - on the AE website they looked like a matte medium brown similar to the football leather, which would look awful on a Park Avenue style shoe. But looking at the Harry R website the grain appears to be less pronounced and has a high sheen to it. Compare: AE photo HR photo Curiously, Bloor Street seconds are now twice the price that firsts were previously offered for.

Any Bloor Streets in the wild?

13. coop23us

coop23us Member

My clearance Rogues ($181 is stealing) with a lame copycat attempt of Watchidiot's pose. I wasn't sure if I'd go for these shoes given the exaggerated features, but I really like this as a smart casual alternative. My style would stay away from business suits for these, but I can easily work these into a Friday business casual jacket/slacks rotation or weekend denim. A really solid shoe in my opinion. Interesting that the dark chili versions live on with no price break; probably because they look so dang sweet.

[​IMG]

14. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

I bought them in Walnut and in Black. Great fitting shoe and great for biz casual.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

OK - a couple quick pix before I escape for the weekend...

The McTavish Army

Cognac (4045) --> "Tan Cognac" (also 4045, but seconds presumably due to color - looked like antiqued tan IMHO) --> Tan (4035)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The color accuracy here isn't 100%, but it is pretty darn close. The tan toness are a little less orange in real life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.