• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Soupy Have to say this is one thing with which I have no interest in whatsoever....but I've looked at so I'll comment. They look very nice in person, like a clean summer casual shoe. The 1757 is supposedly a derivative of the b34, so think big, full toe box, lots of room up front. Gumlite sole, so very comfortable, but lacking in support. If you're in the market for this type of shoe they looked good - probably wouldn't work if you're a narrow width.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful day, so a perfect opportunity to pull the Strawfut out of storage:

Would love to see these in an all-calf variant.

BG 7

Reaction score
Have a few new pairs of AE coming in this week, so wearing the AE Westchester today until they arrive.

Newberry

Reaction score

I was so excited to receive my Fifth Avenues but when I opened the box up, everything changed when I saw all these creases. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
@Soupy Have to say this is one thing with which I have no interest in whatsoever....but I've looked at so I'll comment. They look very nice in person, like a clean summer casual shoe. The 1757 is supposedly a derivative of the b34, so think big, full toe box, lots of room up front. Gumlite sole, so very comfortable, but lacking in support. If you're in the market for this type of shoe they looked good - probably wouldn't work if you're a narrow width.

Thank you--that is great to hear. I'm a 12 EEE in the 65/108/511 and have a wide forefoot. It sounds like the last may be right up my alley.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was so excited to receive my Fifth Avenues but when I opened the box up, everything changed when I saw all these creases. What do you guys think?
First or seconds? If the rest of the shoes look good, I'd probably keep them. That's going to happen after the first wear or two anyways and those particularly creases seem like normal break points to me.

Newberry

Reaction score

First or seconds?  If the rest of the shoes look good, I'd probably keep them.  That's going to happen after the first wear or two anyways and those particularly creases seem like normal break points to me.

Thanks. They're firsts. But those creases really got me down

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. They're firsts. But those creases really got me down
I'm impatient, so I'd rather have my shoes instead of worrying about minor creasing like that. If you can wait on them, send them back and ask for another pair. If they were seconds and that was the only issue I'd be ecstatic

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I also concur. The creases should not be there for a new shoe. With that said, they will be there the first afternoon you wear a new shoe. Even the very best calf leather will crease. So, the real question is if you wish to return the shoes and make your own creases? As long as they are fine in all other respects, I would personally keep them and avoid the aggravation of the return and wait for the replacement.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you--that is great to hear. I'm a 12 EEE in the 65/108/511 and have a wide forefoot. It sounds like the last may be right up my alley.

A kindred spirit! When you see pics of my shoes, just think to yourself, "man, I could be wearing those."

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

now that it's warming up, any recommendations for what no show socks I can wear with my AE Cavanaughs? I also have a pair of Maxfields.

I just ordered a pair of Ninja Socks for the sockless look. I've worn them twice now and will order a few more. They haven't had a problem falling and bunching inside my shoes.

angelescrest

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Ninja Socks for the sockless look. I've worn them twice now and will order a few more. They haven't had a problem falling and bunching inside my shoes.
As I write here, my "no show" socks are bunched up under my feet. Ugh. Ninja Socks? I'm willing to give those a try, too. What size shoe do you wear?

gwshearing

Reaction score
Hello all.

I decided to go on a limb and order some Dainite Walnut Strands seconds.

I'm thinking the Tiger stripe and dark coloring would be the reason they were seconds.

My question is: Can I 'fix' the leather by using some Leather cleaner and stripping them deeply, then use some AE or Saphir Cream to get the color straightened out?

I don't mind the work....in hindsight should have paid $100 more but Seconds can be golden.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Soupy

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm thinking the Tiger stripe and dark coloring would be the reason they were seconds.

My question is: Can I 'fix' the leather by using some Leather cleaner and stripping them deeply, then use some AE or Saphir Cream to get the color straightened out?

I don't mind the work....in hindsight should have paid $100 more but Seconds can be golden.

[/QUOTE]

Does the other shoe resemble this one or do you have one "standard" walnut and one with this striping? If they both look like this I'd keep them and wear the heck out of them. It looks like a very natural years-old patina to me. Of course, if they aren't a match I wouldn't be nearly so thrilled.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

[/URL]

1) I don't think those look bad at all. You should've seen the striping on my bourbon McAllisters.
2) Yes, you can strip it and start over if you are comfortable doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads