• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMT1

Reaction score

Thanks....You just pushed me over the edge on deciding to purchase that exact shoe.  I'm calling my local AE Store now to place my order.  Would feel guilty ordering them online instead of letting my local guy get the credit he so rightly deserves.
I was just in the store about an hour ago purchasing the Sea Island loafers and almost ordered the Shell Strands when i was in there.  Will post pictures and impressions once i receive them in the mail.  I tried them on in size 10d, but the fit was too narrow.  My guy put me in a pair of 9EEE and said he believes that fit will be perfect. 

Happy to help my man! Congrats and good luck with nailing the fitment. Did they have a brown shell Strand to see in person? Pics are one thing, but the robust chocolately richness of the real color is awesome in person.

You are going to love them. :D

barto78

Reaction score
Happy to help my man! Congrats and good luck with nailing the fitment. Did they have a brown shell Strand to see in person? Pics are one thing, but the robust chocolately richness of the real color is awesome in person.

You are going to love them.
biggrin.gif

No, sadly they did not have them in the store. The pictures i've seen online have been good, but nothing as stunning as the ones you posted, so i've been back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger. The main reason i've been on the fence with them because i was sure how versatile they would be with my wardrobe, as i don't wear suits and usually wear Chinos/Button Down to work and Jeans w/ Polo or Button down on the weekends.

After seeing your photos i decided even if i only wear them once or twice a month, the investment is worth it.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion. Called them and the only pair left is a 10.5 and is on hold for a Canadian customer waiting to be sized
2639.png

Actually, I misspoke on this. The 10s were in a different store. It might be worth checking the site and making another call. Also a couple on ebay.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Thanks all for the interest in the cordovan Daltons!

I was also going to list on eBay a pair of new and unworn dark brown Strands size 10.5D. These have a leather sole, and I've replaced them with a dainite sole version.

Since the Daltons got a lot of interest, I'll post the Strands here too:

Let me know if you have questions!

CMT1

Reaction score

No, sadly they did not have them in the store.  The pictures i've seen online have been good, but nothing as stunning as the ones you posted, so i've been back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger.  The main reason i've been on the fence with them because i was sure how versatile they would be with my wardrobe, as i don't wear suits and usually wear Chinos/Button Down to work and Jeans w/ Polo or Button down on the weekends. 

After seeing your photos i decided even if i only wear them once or twice a month, the investment is worth it. 

Thanks for the good press on the pics! I seem to spring clean my shell at this time every year, and figured this time I'd take some shots.

I felt the same way once I started upgrading my shoe closet, and would always pause to wonder just how much wear I'd get out of the balmorals, but in the end I started putting together outfits that worked with them. My current daily wardrobe is also much more on the casual side with a closet filled with rarely-worn suits, but I will upgrade the pants to allow for Strands. I'll also sometimes dress them down with lighter laces:

Dress slacks, the right shirt/top and I'm good. I tell myself that, despite being a semi-brogue balmoral, it's less casual due to being shell and I can get away with the look. Whatever - [Insert rationalization du jour here]

I have also worn them with dark denim and a sportcoat to events where I didn't mind clowning it up a bit, and it wasn't even the most affronting outfit there. It hardly won me any classic style points, but I had a chuckle every time I looked in a mirror and it was one more occasion to wear the shoes. :cheers:

BL70

Reaction score
Shoebank has them

Sorry just saw others had replied already! Good luck it's a great shoe

Hello gentlemen,

New member here and I wanted to ask for your help. I recently learned about AE and am in desperate search of tan or cognac mctavish in size 10.5 or even 10. I hope I'm not too late but does anyone have any they are willing to sell?

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Green Baton Rouge with standard orange laces.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Love my first pair of Allen Edmonds.
Congratulations! Post pics in a month, when you're on your fourth or fifth pair, and also on the verge of bankruptcy and divorce.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RichieP

Reaction score

Can someone who has the cognac mct tell me how dark they are approximately? I've seem crazy variation on these - I'm considering picking up a pair if they look more like the pics online. Super dark brown wouldn't get much use in my wardrobe, plus I already have two mct already. Thanks in advance.

Neo, I think the cognac McT is quite literally like Forrest Gump's box o' chocolates- you never know what you're going to get. Mine looked nothing like the website pics nor are they as dark (nor reddish toned) as M635Guy's. I'd say they are most like my walnut Black Hills when I first got those. Two years later, my Black Hills are now darker than my new McT's, but I don't think either will naturally darken to be "super dark brown."

I actually had a hard time finding my own post (probably user error ;))
http://www.styleforum.net/t/518090/...ing-accessories-clothing-etc/495#post_8330073

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! For some reason these aren't showing many rolls despite being a year old. They were visibly flawless (to my admittedly untrained eye) $325 seconds and I could not be happier with them.

Mine dont really show their rolls either. I think its the placement of captoe and the brogueing that tends to "hide" the rolls

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with AE Customer Service, several things I can confirm now about the Brooks Brothers lines:

- Same leather quality, process as original AE lines
- Can be recrafted with options to change to original AE leather or rubber sole for additional $10
- The BB Captoes use the same 65 last as the Park Avenue. I still doubt this though because BB 8.5 D gives me a bit more width room than AE 8.5 D

Last edited:

BL70

Reaction score
Mine were a pretty dark reddish brown. I've found them to be very versatile.

Can someone who has the cognac mct tell me how dark they are approximately? I've seem crazy variation on these - I'm considering picking up a pair if they look more like the pics online. Super dark brown wouldn't get much use in my wardrobe, plus I already have two mct already. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads