Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@danwatts2005 @[email protected] Thanks for all the pics and info - yeah this one really does seem like a "box of chocolates..." kind of thing. Might pull the trigger - I'd be ok with anything either a little lighter or with any kind of reddish hints. Only thing I didn't want was a solid brown. From the pics this is really all over the map. I looked at the tan a while back - high variation on that one too - I saw lots of extremely light pairs with lots of mismatched colors between left and right shoes (bad mismatch). I'm just concerned that one these are gone they'll pull a Randolph and re-release the same shoes at 395.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

2. Praneeth22

Praneeth22 Member

Love it. :)

3. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Senior member

Dark chili McAllisters heading to work
    [​IMG]

4. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Senior member

Bourbon strands maiden voyage
    [​IMG]

5. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Nice! But stand behind the yellow line until the train comes to a complete stop, before boarding.

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Rainy day here - one of the reasons I bought the Clark Street.
    [​IMG]

7. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

My cognac McTavishes are very close in color to my Walnut Jeffersons. If it wasn't for the reverse welt, I'd have a hard time figuring out which was which.

8. jexbrah

jexbrah Active Member

Wanted to get some sizing advice....

To start, I live in Canada so there aren't any AE stores I can go to and most of the stores that do have AE come with limited selection and widths (D and 3E typically only). I'm interested in purchasing a pair of the Mora 2.0 and possibly a Park Ave/Fifth Ave. I have fairly wide feet and a good sized instep. Now, I've printed out AE's shoe fit guide where you stand on a piece of paper and measure your foot and the size was 9.5 2e. In person I was able to try on the following:

Carlyle 108 last in the following sizes:
    -9.5 3e: seemed to be good at the middle and toe box but the heel area was loose bit loose
    -10D: seemed to be a good fit. snug all around but not tight (vamp had maybe about 0.25-3/8" opening). I think the balls of my feet may be about 0.25-0.5" behind where I think the balls of the foot should be (where the shoe starts curving into the taper). I'm not sure how important this is though.

Park Avenues:
    -9 3e: seemed to be good at the middle and toe box but the heel area was loose
    -10d: I think it was a decent fit but not the best, vamp had a bit of an opening maybe about 3/8"-0.5" at the top. Bit harder to get into than the Carlyle

Now my questions are, given that the last is the same on the Carlyle and Mora, Would say that its pretty safe to go with the 10d or should the 9.5 2e fit better based on the AE shoe fit guide?
    As for the Park Avenues, should I just skip those until I'm able to somehow get my hands on a 9.5 2e or a 10e?

9. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Warwick Tuesday. Laces are for chumps...(just kidding, my strands almost got the call today)
    [​IMG]

10. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Shell Cordovan Strands were just ordered. Now let the 8 weeks of misery commence! This will now be my 7th pair of AE shoes since i purchased my first pair back in January.

Next on my list is both a Black and Chili pair of 5th Avenues.

Edited: I miscounted. This will be 7th pair. I forgot i returned my Bourbon Strands that i bought from the Shoebank.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Damn I'm jealous.

I have the dark chilli park aves and they are beautiful.

12. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Bourbon Larchmonts maiden voyage
    [​IMG]

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Chili Ashtons, one of the many, many, many split-toes from AE

[​IMG]

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@jexbrah This is what id say -
    1) who cares about the PA? Because someone said its a must-own? If the Carlyle fits better, it certainly looks better, why not get both that and the Mora?
    2) The 108 is weird for me - it just isn't quite right. The 222 corrects everything I don't like. That aside, the Carlyle, Delray, Clark st and LaSalle fit me ok, just not optimal. Removing the laces, the Mora, sapienza, bellerive all felt overly roomy. Try to imagine the Carlyle but with more room/ volume, that's how I would describe it. Plus no ability to go tighter if necessary.
    3) Go with what you tried over the paper thing - absolutely.

15. gjdgjdgjd

gjdgjdgjd Active Member

I once again throw myself to the collective wisdom of the forum...I am in the market for a McGregor in another color. My issue is sizing. Here is a picture showing where my toe ends:

[​IMG]

This pic is of an 8D. An 8D fits me well on the sides and ball of my foot but is a bit long...I am worried about creasing in front of the wingtip. A 7.5D is shorter and fits very snug on the instep, almost too snug in the sides of my feet. Is it worth it to get a slightly smaller pair and work to stretch a bit or stick with the size that is already comfortable and have the possibility of bad creasing later?

I have been measured on the Brannock 3 times by AE and have gotten 3 different measurements - 7 EEE, 7.5D, and 8D. There are no 7.5E in the color I want.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.