• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I Agree. I own two pairs of Ramsey DBs and they can look bulbous from my top down view when wearing them. Although when ever I look at them in the mirror or catch a reflection of them in the window, the shape looks very elegant ( at least for DBs).

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i totally get what you are saying. its bizarre to say the least. how are the shell ramseys? :slayer:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if you can send a pair of AS's in for toe taps? I have sole guards on mine but the toe portion of the soles were damaged previously and while I've had them filled and refinished, it's becoming clear to me that it is a temporary fix. Short of getting them resoled I think metal taps would be a good fix. It doesn't appear to have damaged the welt.
I put metal (toe) taps on all my shoes. Everyone has varying opinions about them but the rubber ones wear out too quickly for me and I never had problems with noise with the metal (which others hvae complained about). When I lived in NYC, lots of cobblers could add them for $3-$4. Now in MI, I just add them myself (I went to a couple of cobblers and they didn't do a good a job as I wanted). If you want flushed taps Nick V. (B. Nelson/VIP) is the place to go; you can ship your shoes to him in NYC.

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I put metal (toe) taps on all my shoes. Everyone has varying opinions about them but the rubber ones wear out too quickly for me and I never had problems with noise with the metal (which others hvae complained about).

When I lived in NYC, lots of cobblers could add them for $3-$4. Now in MI, I just add them myself (I went to a couple of cobblers and they didn't do a good a job as I wanted). If you want flushed taps Nick V. (B. Nelson/VIP) is the place to go; you can ship your shoes to him in NYC.

You can send these back to AS for resoling, approx. $150, and ask for metal toe tips to be cut in or they will add metal toe tips for approx $50 plus shipping. Always recommend resoling with the original maker as they put the shoes on the original lasts and finish to a very high standard.

Itsuo

Reaction score
I put metal (toe) taps on all my shoes. Everyone has varying opinions about them but the rubber ones wear out too quickly for me and I never had problems with noise with the metal (which others hvae complained about).

When I lived in NYC, lots of cobblers could add them for $3-$4. Now in MI, I just add them myself (I went to a couple of cobblers and they didn't do a good a job as I wanted). If you want flushed taps Nick V. (B. Nelson/VIP) is the place to go; you can ship your shoes to him in NYC.
This is a great idea, I sent B.Nelson a note through their website about the service. Thank you very much.

You can send these back to AS for resoling, approx. $150, and ask for metal toe tips to be cut in or they will add metal toe tips for approx $50 plus shipping. Always recommend resoling with the original maker as they put the shoes on the original lasts and finish to a very high standard.
I would only consider AS for a complete resole. However I use sole guards on these so the soles are in very good shape (protected under the guards) they don't protect the toe very well and the toes can take a bit of a beating over time so I would like to try to do more to protect them. Thank you for the information about pricing directly from AS!

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from Cool Shoes thread ...

NYC folks, it appears there are some Alfred Sargent plain toe bals at the Surface to Air sample sale for $90!!!
http://ny.racked.com/archives/2014/...le_offers_french_chic_at_modest_discounts.php
See the pic in the second to last row, second from the right. A guy on another forum bought a pair for $90 yesterday and he said there were maybe 3 left. There's a Sargent side zip boot too.

I don't think he's on SF, so here's a pic of the shoes he bought:

Last edited:

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question on the Peale and Co boots sold at Brooks Brothers. Through reading this site I figured the 7wkmarked inside is the last they are built on by AS. Does Brooks Bothers size the Made in England shoes ( whats marked in the boots) - in US or UK sizes? It read 9 1/2 and didnt know if that was 9/12 US or 10 1/2 US . They look to be 2-3 years old. I saw them at a thrift store in great condition but didnt have time to try them on, I may go back

thanks for the help for a AS noobie

DuckOB

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question on the Peale and Co boots sold at Brooks Brothers. Through reading this site I figured the 7wkmarked inside is the last they are built on by AS. Does Brooks Bothers size the Made in England shoes ( whats marked in the boots) - in US or UK sizes? It read 9 1/2 and didnt know if that was 9/12 US or 10 1/2 US . They look to be 2-3 years old. I saw them at a thrift store in great condition but didnt have time to try them on, I may go back

thanks for the help for a AS noobie

DuckOB

AS for BB were typically marked US sizes.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DpprDR - thanks for the quick reply, they may be worth going back for another look. I appreciate the info

Have a great week

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got these suede Cambridge boots on the 724 last from No Man Walks Alone today. Fits the same as my Radwells, as expected, and I'm very pleased with them. Should be ready to take on the snow after some Nano Protector spray.

Nice model and very nice colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads