• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

newbiealden

Reaction score
I love the shell on Ramsey; I was wondering how the Ramsey compares to the J Crew Double Monk in terms of construction? (outside of the obvious shell difference)

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the shell on Ramsey;  I was wondering how the Ramsey compares to the J Crew Double Monk in terms of construction?  (outside of the obvious shell difference)

The AS Ramsey have a higher grade sole that is oak bark tanned in England, then closed channelled stitched giving a finer finish with superior materials. The calf leather is polished and burnished by hand.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The AS Ramsey have a higher grade sole that is oak bark tanned in England, then closed channelled stitched giving a finer finish with superior materials. The calf leather is polished and burnished by hand.

Does this comparison also work for the Herring by AS line vs AS Exclusive?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does this comparison also work for the Herring by AS line vs AS Exclusive?

I think this question might be better directed to Herring since they are distributing the shoes and could comment on the quality but the sole work looks similar just from pictures (note I do not own any of AS by Herring).

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score

After three years and many wear, average once every two weeks, and lots of shinning sessions they still look pretty sharp
Moore MTO on 106 last chestnut calf.
I am very happy with the fitting and the leather quality.

Those have aged beautifully.

Would anyone be interested in a limited run of the Carroll loafer made to exclusive standards but without the tassels? I have a pair in brown that I wear often. Great w/ jeans, sport coat, or suit:

I'm interested in a black pair but without the medallion too. It would mainly be used w/ a tux, but would be good w/ a suit too, particularly when traveling.

And, if others are interested, I might also be willing to go in on a run in dark brown suede with a bit of a gray cast, particularly the suede used for the Herrick . I think it was called "mink." Would prefer to have a medallion for the suede pair.

Ideally, to me, it'd be on the 19 last, which is what the one above was made on. But that's a handgrade last, so I'm not sure they'd allow it.

Send me a pm or post here if you're interested, pls.

Last edited:

FosterandSon

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cross post from Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Affiliate Thread

Hope this is the right place, please let me know if we need to delete.

Special Offer – Alfred Sargent for Foster & Son

Our second Styleforum member’s offer

As we develop our new Foster & Son Heritage Collection we have a small number of shoes made for us by Alfred Sargent (a maker who we hold in the highest regard) that we can make available to Styleforum members at a reasonable discount. This is part of necessary consolidation around our new and existing lines for which we need to free up some space in our shop at 83 Jermyn Street.

We currently have 23 pairs in the following styles, colours and sizes (all UK sizes and F width). Please give us your Styleforum ID when ordering. Customers are limited to a maximum of two pairs each. The price is £299 a pair including UK VAT and delivery, compared with the usual £385 ticket price.

Style: 6.5F 7.0F 7.5F 8.0F 8.5F 9.0F 10.0F 10.5F 11.0F 11.5F
Adelaide Brogue: Black (99) x x xx
Adelaide Brogue: Mahogany (99) xx xxx xx
Armfield Black Cap Oxford (109) xx x
Armfield Mahogany Cap Oxford (109) x
Hunt Brogue Black (109) x x x x
Hunt Brogue Mahogany (109) x x x x

From left to right: Hunt Brogue Black, Adelaide Brogue Black, Adelaide Brogue Mahogany, Hunt Brogue Mahogany, Armfield Cap Oxford Mahogany

109 last sole

LL

99 last sole

Hunt, Mahogany and Black

Armfield, Mahogany

Adelaide, Black

Adelaide, Mahogany

Waist detail 109 last

Waist detail 99 last

Please contact us by email at [email protected], each email will be answered in order of receipt when the shop opens at 10.00 (GMT) tomorrow. Please be sure of your size and fit as we will not be accepting returns.

Foster & Son

Onur Arslan

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a pair of AS Appleby wingtip derbies and i was wondering if they're worth it. The price is 250 dollars and 50 dollars for shipping.

Onur Arslan

Reaction score
Very good price, take it.
Another question; I wear US 12D size Ralph Lauren(i guess made by Allen Edmonds) loafers bare feet and that fits perfectly. These AS shoes are UK 11.5 FX but i will wear them with very thick socks in winter. So if you or anyone who has both can compare the fitting, what would you say ? That would be very sad if i make an international purchase, wait for them 2-3 weeks, deal with the all customs thing and then they don't fit properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads