1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Special orders?

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

How do Herring's 1966 last compare to the 724? I find the 724 to be more angular since it feels like it has a higher heel (I honestly haven't measured it but it just feels like it when I walk on them); I have no experience with the 1966.

3. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Nope - All RTW

Heel height is the same.
    724 last is definitely more angular. It is also slightly wider (but slightly shallower) in the toe box, compared to the 1966 last.

I personally like 1966 last better since it looks sleeker (and the lines smoother) in my opinion. For me, fit is almost the same. I do not notice any difference

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks for the info. The last shape looks very similar so I wonder if the 1966 was based on the 724. Congrats on your stuff!

5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Ohhhh...beautiful shoes and beautiful model...

6. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

+1. Thanks for your input

7. agedashidofu

Thanks Gianni !!!

8. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Wow, I seriously never even considered Alfred Sargent or knew AFPOS existed until yesterday. Now I'm sad I missed out! Price seems like a great value compared to Carmina. Not sure how the quality compares but the soles look a lot nicer than C&J benchgrade at least. Now I'll have to wait until the next sale to buy a Moore and an Armfield. Do the sales happen regularly? Like once a year?

9. europrep

europrep Senior member

^ sign up for the emails. I believe you will see more than once a year, but different types of sales.

Also, do the math on a total order and even their normal prices aren't bad at all if you live in States...ex-vat, free international shipping, free lasted shoe trees.

10. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Thanks ep, I signed up. They are a good deal regardless and I would purchase them if they had a style I had to have right now. However, I'd mainly be purchasing them because as a lover of shoes, at the price they were going for, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Yes, I have a problem :p.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  11. europrep

europrep Senior member

Been there, done that. Own two pair of double monk Ramsey ( suede and whiskey cord) because I couldn't let a good sale from AFPOS go without my participation.

12. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I have both C&J handgrade and benchgrade. The Exclusive range of AS is much nicer in terms of finish than the handgrade. I'd say the soles are nicer on the AS Exclusive than even the benchgrade C&J. The leather is pretty comparable. Lasts are really personal fit, so they're hard to compare, but both have a variety available.

I've got 3 pairs of AS in heavy rotation, plus two in light rotation - a light colored slip on that I only wear in summer and a patent leather formal oxford. They are great deals, in or out of sales, in terms of quality to price. While you can wait for the next sale, you could also order today and get them within 48 hours to the US, which is incredible. The service from AFPOS is top notch.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Do you mean: The Exclusive range of AS is much nicer in terms of finish than the benchgrade. I'd say the soles are nicer on the AS Exclusive than even the handgrade C&J.

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

I rate AS Exclusive higher to CJ handgrade too. Best value shoe out there.

1 person likes this.
  15. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Any of the AS exclusive last that fits a semi-wide foot? C&J 348 fits pretty well, and Carmina's Forest last is like bespoke.

16. wurger

wurger Senior member

I find them both tight, so all of AS lasts would fit you fine.

1 person likes this.
  17. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Not sure it would help but I fit a 348 10F (wide) just fine and the AS 724 last fits good width-wise too.

1 person likes this.
  18. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Thanks to you both!

19. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Yes.

20. agedashidofu

AS 724 would be wider than C&J 348

I can attest to that. The sole work and the waist on AS is really exquisite (tight waist, fiddleback.) Definitely much better than C&J handgrade even. On the leather upper, they're quite comparable.

AS is good value w/o the promo, and definitely fantastic value with the promo