• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airline travel warning

jmatt

Reaction score
I never thought about this before, so I thought I'd write a brief story.

Yesterday, I returned from a 3 day very formal business meeting. The meetings required clothes from full suits to sportcoats to sweaters to jeans depending on what time of day it was.

The Airline "mishandled" my luggage.

Good news is, they found it and it was delivered to me today.

BUT - what if it really was lost?

Here's what I had checked:

Custom suit - $1500
Zanella pants - $300
Luciano Barbera pants - $450
Brioni Cashmere sport coat - $4100
Brioni Cashmere sweater - $1000
Men's store label cashmere sweater -$300
3 Jantzentailor shirts - $150
Edward Green shoes - $1000
Allen Edmunds shoes - $300
casual shoes - $100
2 leather belts - $160
3 pair Pantheralla socks - $100
Electric Razor - $150
3 ties - $300
Levis vintage 501 Jeans - $200
the luggage itself - $400
TOTAL $10,810
not counting misc. toiletries, underwear, t-shirts. cell phone charger, shoe trees, shoe polish, etc.

Grand total probably hit just over $11,000

Airline liability limit - $3,000

Can you imagine how glad I am my luggage was found?

Now, the truth is that like many here, I didn't pay that much. But I did pay about $5500, and many of the items I could not replace for my original purchase price. For example - Edward Green sale shoes. Sure - I can get a different pair, but to find exactly what I lost on sale again could literally take years. I'd be forced to replace them at retail. Repeat that example for most of the items on my list.

Next time, I think I'll either buy extra coverage, travel with cheap clothing, or try to carry more on. I use a wide, rolling hardsided garmet bag style luggage though, to try to keep my clothes looking better.

Anyway - I know this was long-winded, but I'm betting many people here travel without thinking about the total replacement cost of their clothes.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to spread things out and keep some in my checked luggage and as much as I can in my carry on. But yeah, it would suck big time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have Chubb insurance, you can be insured against loss or theft when you travel. You pay for it though.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think the solution is either leave the Brioni cashmere and EGs at home or put them in carry-on. I'd probably vote for taking something else, but if it was a special meeting I can understand the temptation.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I carry everything on with me

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You know what sucks? With all the advances the airline industry has made regarding handling, securities and all that, it seems to me that they have not really gave much consideration regarding lost luggages or pilferages as much as we the passengers want.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I think the solution is either leave the Brioni cashmere and EGs at home or put them in carry-on. I'd probably vote for taking something else, but if it was a special meeting I can understand the temptation.
In the future I'll do that. The point was - I never even thought about the replacement cost in case my luggage were to get lost.

Oh - and the meetings included the highest level, most significant meetings of my life.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt
Oh - and the meetings included the highest level, most significant meetings of my life.

what would you have done if the bags were lost on the way to the meetings?

that is why I never check bags - I have been in meetings where somebody had to wear a cheap suit that they bought at the last minute because their bags were lost.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
what would you have done if the bags were lost on the way to the meetings?

that is why I never check bags - I have been in meetings where somebody had to wear a cheap suit that they bought at the last minute because their bags were lost.

trip there was nonstop. (and on a small regional jet with limited carry-on size rules). Trip home required plane change.

Anyway - the point is yes. I would do things differently next time. I'm hoping someone else learns from my experience and avoids the problem.

If I save just one Brioni Cashmere Jacket and pair of EG shoes, my job here is done!!!
crackup[1].gif

Jl24

Reaction score
I try to have as much carry-on as I can. I have one of those carry-on duffel bags (not strictly a suit bag) that expands to carry 2 suits, and a few outfits - that should be enough to get by for a 3-day trip by mixing it up.

I know you said your meetings required a variety of clothes, but for business trips I try to bring just enough for the trip plus a day or two extra (depending) in case a trip gets extended.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, i never check the expensive stuff. always carry that on.
however if you are going for a few weeks somewhere, you can always mail it to where you are going and have it insured ..i know it sounds crazy but some poeple i know do thaat

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jmatt - I'm glad the luggage was found.

It's a sobering thought. I think I'm going to check my travel insurance policy carefully, to see exactly what it covers. Keeping as much as possible in carry-on is also a good idea.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
Well after reading the list of contents and the values. Made me glad I was a poor librarian on a merger budget.
smile.gif

Glad you got the things back.

Robert

darin_arrick

Reaction score
Don't fly. Take the train, take a bus, or drive (even if you have to rent a car). I know it takes longer, but, honestly, flying in "the post-9/11 world(tm)" is often more hassle than it's worth. I would only fly if: I'm only taking a carry-on, and I'm in an incredible hurry and didn't have time to plan for other options (for example, my mother's funeral 2 BIG states away).

On both the bus (Greyhound) and train (Amtrak), you can basically handle your own luggage, or at least watch it get stowed away underneath, or carry it on with you. Frankly, if I had $11K worth of things in my bags, I'd chain them to my body and not let go until I was at my destination.

Basically, I wouldn't trust others with my stuff unless it was disposable. No one will take care of your stuff like you will. Besides, riding the train, at least, is often quite nice, and you see the countryside from 100 yards instead of 40,000 feet. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics