• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Vintage Sport Coat

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking at buying a vintage late 1950s/early 60s Chipp sport coat. I normally wear a 40 to 42 long. This one is marked 43 Long but is not too far off in the shoulders (18 3/8" vs my normal 17.75"-18.25). I figure I can layer a sweater under it. However, I am bothered by the plaid stripes not lining up with the sleeve on the left side (suit right sleeve). I cannot imagine a maker like Chipp would have made this jacket this way and wonder if the sleeve head has been taken in? Should this misalignment be a deal breaker? Also, is the plaid pattern and elbow patches too loud?

Many thanks in advance!

il_1140xN.2721240518_pv67.jpg
il_1140xN.2721057858_jwx2.jpg

il_1140xN.2721057934_owjd.jpg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Too loud for what? Where will you wear it? Plaid and elbow patches look very collegiate to me. I think this coat could look good worn casually or in an academic setting, or for work if you're in a creative industry. In a more formal business setting it might look a bit costumey.

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Too loud for what? Where will you wear it? Plaid and elbow patches look very collegiate to me. I think this coat could look good worn casually or in an academic setting, or for work if you're in a creative industry. In a more formal business setting it might look a bit costumey.

Hi, Thanks so much. What are your thoughts on the mis aligned right sleeve stripes?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you indicate where you think the problem is? My understanding with pattern matching a check is that the goal is generally to line up the horizontal lines at the front of the sleevehead. However, the vertical lines and the rear of the sleeve cannot be matched with the body of the jacket. This is true of a Caruso checked sportcoat that I'm wearing today.
The actual jacket color is navy.

As for the elbow patches, I wonder whether they were added on later. You could swap them out for a darker brown if you want less contrast.

0A6E6C4F-B664-4E7E-BCF3-C042D82BE28D.jpeg
DD76856D-5A2F-41F2-A9A0-B3809BA78E59.jpeg

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
can you indicate where you think the problem is? My understanding with pattern matching a check is that the goal is generally to line up the horizontal lines at the front of the sleevehead. However, the vertical lines and the rear of the sleeve cannot be matched with the body of the jacket. This is true of a Caruso checked sportcoat that I'm wearing today.
The actual jacket color is navy.

As for the elbow patches, I wonder whether they were added on later. You could swap them out for a darker brown if you want less contrast.
Hi, Great jacket! Right, the back of the jacket I understand but it is the front right sleeve (on the left of the picture) where the horizontal stripes do not line up with the body while the other sleeve does; it gets more pronounced further down the sleeve.

I know it is a minor detail and I should not be so fussed but I always associate misaligned horizontal front stripes as being a sign of cheapness (and creates a busier looking pattern for the jacket front with the broken line). Maybe while worn it won't be so apparent.

il_1140xN.2768739159_j7ro.jpg

Again, please forgive me, as I hate using this show as an example of period looks, but here from Mad Men, we see "Pete", aka Vincent Kartheiser, wearing a vintage madras jacket (it was sold at auction a few years later: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...beba98-9071-4749-b02a-a54500adab8d#lotDetails) and you can see the mismatch and just how chaotic the pattern becomes. Again, I know, tiny detail, but it makes a "loud" pattern, even louder. Of course, the designer choose this vintage jacket for the color and its over all style rather than the quality of its manufacturing.

2c692357-aec8-47c2-aaf4-bc0c567f6d91.jpg
134c4d86-67e5-461f-d60c-4852f1d63a20.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. Yes. Personally it wouldn’t bother me. I think a good tailor could fix that but detaching and resewing the sleeve, but it probably wouldn’t be worth it.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks so much. What are your thoughts on the mis aligned right sleeve stripes?
I can see what you mean in the picture but not sure whether it would ever be noticeable when the jacket is worn, I kind of suspect not! The stripes are never going to line up once they are on a body, I wouldn't have thought. If this is an economically priced thrift find it would not bother me at all.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not geometrically possible to line up plaid patterns all the way around a sleeve, because the sleeve meets the jacket at an angle. On my patterned jackets, my tailor generally makes a decent match on the front, but that comes at the expense of the back which will then necessarily be out of alignment. The same issue exists with pinstripes, and really any patterned fabric.

Looks like your jacket has been constructed similarly; don’t exhaust yourself arguing with Ptolemy.

Where patterns can and should line up is on patch pockets which your jacket doesn’t have.

Looks like a fun jacket. If it ends up fitting, enjoy it.

Last edited:

pwbower

Reaction score
I used to have this one in my Etsy "favorites," in fact. Did you notice from the pictures the crease where the sleeve seems to have been taken out? The pattern matching doesn't bother me, but I didn't like the looks of the cuffs for that reason. Of course, the price is fantastic for a Chipp sportcoat of that era, so it may be worth it!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally don't like the leather elbow patches, so I would pass for that reason.

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
I used to have this one in my Etsy "favorites," in fact. Did you notice from the pictures the crease where the sleeve seems to have been taken out? The pattern matching doesn't bother me, but I didn't like the looks of the cuffs for that reason. Of course, the price is fantastic for a Chipp sportcoat of that era, so it may be worth it!

Hi, yes, it has been sitting for a while. The sleeves have been let out rather poorly and cuff buttons have been moved too close to each other for the era (they should be about an inch apart). The actual current measurements are 27", so they can be repositioned to a less "extra long" position. The seller believes the elbow patches are decorative and not there due to wear, though that then begs the question of fading if the area underneath them is darker from less exposure. Between the one size too large, the elbow patches, sleeves length, and the slight weirdness with the right sleeve, I think best to let sleeping dogs lie. Real shame, as it is a great example Chipp in that period, has a great hidden throat latch, and lovely material, but it will be a bit of a money project and it will still be a size big on me and the elbow patches just feel too much.

Thanks everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads