• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5EP x Styleforum jean: poll and opinions

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
So basically, it's like a low down boot w/o bootcut, that is slightly slimmer? How much lower is the rise? This sounds like nearly the perfect jean to me
smile.gif
Is it going to fit like other 5EP raws, or be true to size?

Yes, the top block is actually based on the LDB. The rise will be about .25"-0.75" lower, depending on the size, and I've asked that the jeans be cut true to size. Note that this does not mean that a 32" will measure out to a 32". Jeans are not cut like this, because the waist size on the jean is based on where on the hips the jeans are supposed to sit. However, if you are a 32" waist, and have a body not completely disimilar to that of the fit model, the size 32" jean would be designed to fit you. To illustrate, I have a true 30 waist. However, my SPURR jeans (size 30) measure out to 34", and yet fit me perfectly, because the rise is under 10", and the jeans fit low on the hips.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well - it's helpfull if jeans measure out the same as the marked size, even if they sit low on the hips or high on the waist. My hips aren't any wider than my waist, so a true 34 fits me well whatever the rise. This won't really matter if we know what size to order vis a vis the marked size, and I'm sure we will.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Um, it's on. I just sent in the Styleforum P.O yesterday, and Mauro has his **** together. Specs are done, and ready to be sent off to Japan so that the sample can be made. We are on target.

Cool. Can't wait to order a pair.

phooi

Reaction score
So what about the really short guys like me (5'3")? Will getting the jeans hemmed throw off the proportions of the jeans? Thanks!

Godmother

Reaction score
Hey all you " Made Men " thanks for all the thoughts, insight, suggestions. Special thanks to LA GUY....my biggest fan...been great talking and working with you on this project. Thanks for Mauro for the order, and thanks to ALL the SF support of
5EP.

Back in 1999 when I met HITMAN ( he is my main made man ) he pushed me to start my company DENIMAFIA ( cause it is a mafia...people get made....jeans get made....once your made, you are made for life....just like denim ). It came to me and Hitman one champagne-fueled night. It was New Years Eve 1999, and we were hanging out with friends listening to Hank Williams country hit " Moanin the Blues ", listening to the song and looking at the album cover.

To quote my bio “The lightbulb went off. I just saw the picture perfectly,” says Rucci, a design veteran of 25 years. I saw was a vision for 5EP, a denim label so classic it would appeal to Tumer, a bike customizer (and now 5EP muse and house model), Hank Williams (were he still alive), and every soulful, meat-and-potatoes sort of man from way back when and that day forth. “I wanted to create a line of clothes that didn’t date,” explains Rucci.

We launched 5EP in Fall 2004 and never in my wildest dreams did I think that two pairs of jeans would make such an impact ( we also make shirts, indigo knits, chinos and jackets hence the five easy pieces ). However, it was during my time at RRL ( 2nd generation ) that I first went to Japan and went to Okayama & Kojima where we make 5EP jeans...it was like a spiritual experience ( like Mecca for a true denimhead such as myself ). Sadly I have not been back for years. I have a great kid...he is a total little dude and future rock star....loves AC/DC and he is 4...I can't wait to do Lil 5EP....a 5EP store...ohhh drifted off...dreaming again...okay sister....focus.

I am honored and flattered by the response to 5EP...from you all and doing this jean together is pretty friggin awesome...imagine you all have taken part in the designing of this jean. The new jean is called the LOW DOWN SLIM.....Low Rise
( but not too low ) Slimmer Seat & Thigh and Straight Knee and Leg Opening, Button - Fly. Each pair will be stamped " Got Made in Japan for StyleForum "
LOT 001.

The size spec will be pure as marked and you can wear them right away. However if you will wash them, size up...as they will shrink. 5EP denim stretches a bit with wear. I strongly urge you not to wash your jeans...wear them as long as you can. If you have to wash them ( wear them til they're stanky I say...and air em out ) do so in the tub...cold water and never in the dryer. I know soem of you dry clean your jeans...for shame...the chemicals change the indigo color ( more red ). If you must wash in machine...cold water inside out and hang to dry....I some times just rinse them in water and no detergent. Hitman wore one pair of DARK WORNS for a year without washing and I retired them...I like to take them out and look at them...they are just amazing...oh i went off there....ooopps....We sorta morphed the LDB with the SDZ and the BACK YOKE is contructed like our Straight Down Zip ( body up ).

The LDS will be offered in RIGID " Sanforized " 5EP custom Selvage. The 5EP selvage fabric is a PURE INDIGO mix which I personally blended with the dyer in Japan. It is woven on antique shuttle looms by one of the oldest weavers in Japan ( 113 year old company ). Each pair is hand cut and individually sewn by a single operator....all burrs ( technically only Levi's can call them rivets which was patented by Strauss to keep the gold nuggets from rippen the minors back pockets FYI ) and open top buttons ( doughnut hole ) are put on by hand. Jeans made the old fashioned way. It is my dream to bring back this " art " back to the USA... sadly there are few factories willing to do it and fewer still are skilled workers who know how to hand make jeans.

Lastly, I seen all the requests for SHORTER and LONGER INSEAMS. LA GUY can you take a poll to see how many people want 36" INSEAMS. The new jean is spec'd to be 34" and I know there are some people who want shorter inseams. As this jean is a true straight from KNEE to LEG OPENING....hemming should be easier then the LDB....Need to get 25 pcs per inseam and ask factory is they will do it. I want to realy make this jean for " all " to enjoy...so let me know ASAP. Need to know by end March latest.

I really enjoy reading the posts and glad I joined SF and please feel free to email. Can't always guarentee I will reply immediately... but I will do my best. Well Lil Hitman needs me...my other "gene " line. Hey are there any " made " ladies out there ?? Just got the first lots of 5EP Stretch Selvage ( ten years to develop ) and the first ever produced...the FIT is great. I have been rockin a pair and I am really psyched. They will be available at OAK, HTC, and Post in Miami and soon on line at 5EP.com.

Finally the DEAD STOCK sales end this month. Last orders must be rcvd by
March 25, 2007. Email to [email protected]. Please note, we had a crazy week with new shipments from Japan, so we are behind on orders...we will reply soon. Thanks for the " sit down " Okay basta....no more of my " jibba jabba "...oh I went all Mr. T just now.

" Less than is equal to greater than with five easy pieces "

Godmother

Reaction score
Okay this is absolutely the last post of the night...I can't stop...its like friggin crack...

About the weight of 5EP denim...It is 13.5oz...which a a very tradtional weight.

And the average size of jeans in contemporary jeans market is 32W x 32L. We sell the most in this size and suprisingly 33W. We need to know about INSEAMS ASAP. All jeans are fit on average 32W size.

LA GUY & MAURO will fit the first proto type with me & Hitman ( he serves as house model and he is the guy on 5EP.com.....the girl sadly is not me ).

I am trying to get the JAPAN factory to agree to cut two inseams.
I can swing 34 & 36 but it means at least 25 jeans in 36 Inseam.
* WE MUST HAVE THIS SETTLED by SIZE by END MARCH if you really
want this to happen. Sorry for the caps...but this is time sensative.

Due to the SANFORZING process...I fabric really only shrinks 1" maximum...
I did a lot of testing.

FYI 19oz denim would be so heavy you couldn't even wear it. Some selvages are
12+, 11+ and even as light as 8oz. The weight is based on per square yard. This is usually the RIGID ( raw ) weight and includes " sizing " ( starch used in the weaving process ).

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 1 for that 36 inch inseam. Thank you Godmother, you're awesome
smile.gif
I hope there are 24 more of me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd go for the 36" inseam as well, if the knees don't move too much on those ones. I think a lot of people would probably go for that as they can stack, cuff or hem them on their own.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GWHiZiTSPHiL
32" inseam please.

Yeah.. a 30W 32L would work perfectly!

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely purchase a 28/32, or hem a 34" inseam if you're not to go smaller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads