• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ModernTailor Shirt Review

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, let me say that this is my 1000th post. At this rate of posting I will reach 10,000 by the time I retire. Woohoo!!

So in August I was one of the lucky members to have the opportunity to place an order for a free shirt through Moderntailor.com in exchange for a review on this forum. I will try to provide a fair review despite the fact that I received it free of charge.

Those of you who follow the threads on the online MTM shirt options know that I am a regular user of a different service so this was a welcome change of pace for me

Bottom Line

Pros: nailed the measurements (fit errors are mine), decent price, good service, quick delivery, love the collar

Cons: shipping charges, limited fabrics

Recommended: Yes, I intend to make my next order from them to see how I like their fabrics and dial in the measurements.

Website

The website is pretty easy to use, though nothing overly fancy. The options and the order form were pretty self-explanatory. I had one little glitch when entering the armhole measurement and I was able to resolve this through the online chat function. Pretty nifty!

Entering Measurements and Options

There are 2 options for entering measurements: providing body measurements or providing shirt measurements. I looked through each and was impressed with the photos that clarify exactly how you should be measuring to ensure a proper fit. I chose to go with the shirt measurement option, though as you will see later I was a little aggressive in slimming it down for which I paid the price. I highly recommend the shirt measurement option as they nailed it for me. Your profile is saved with a password which is useful.

The other options were just as easy to work through - pocket options, contrast cuffs/collars, button choice, etc. The usual. The biggest downside that I can point out about Moderntailor is the lack of fabric choices. I struggled with the decision as there are only 119 fabric choices available at the moment if I am reading the site correctly. Then again I have a lot of shirts so I don't have a need for many of the color or pattern options. More fabric choices would be a wonderful addition.

Delivery and Price

I chose a $49.99 fabric and added the MOP buttons for an additional $2; I would recommend adding them for this price after seeing other posts showing the less-than-stellar plastic buttons (though they same to have been improved lately). Shipping was an added $10, which is unfortunately reported to be a per-shirt price rather than a per-order price. So this would have been $61.99 delivered.

After entering my order I quickly received an order confirmation and then about 1-2 weeks later I received a shipping confirmation. Less than a week after that (4 days to be exact) this arrived:

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Quality

I will let my crappy photos do most of the speaking here. The fabric is thinner than I had expected, though for a pattern and color such as this I think that it works. It leaves me wondering what the other fabrics are like, however. I wore this for a full day and found it to be of good quality without excessive wrinkling or polyester-like resistance to the same.

The MOP buttons are decent, though they seem to lack the luster I prefer in such buttons. Stitching is decent enough as is shown in the photos and the pattern matching (for those who care about such things) is good.

I chose the spread collar and absolutely love it. The roll on this collar, even after 2 washes, is rather impressive for a $50 internet-order shirt. Even with the stiff liner, though, I wouldn't consider this a very stiff collar (which is fine by me if it keeps this roll).

(sorry for the mix of overpowering daylight and inadequate indoor lighting)

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Fit

This is more for me as the fit is purely a reflection of the measurements provided. As you can see, the scye and chest measurements, at a minimum, are on the slim side leading to an issue if I want to move my arms at all. Suggestions on corrections are welcome as I would like to tweak my measurements and order again.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

wearing your zipper down is the new popping your collar:
IMG_1157.jpg

Checking my watch is easy - just move my arms a little and the sleeves ride up

IMG_1158.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good for a $61.99 shirt. Just checked their website: fabric selection is rather uninspiring.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad at all.

csulli13

Reaction score
I've ordered 9 shirts from them so far and you hit upon my two pet peeves, the thin fabric and high shipping cost. Despite that the fit and price are right, so I keep coming back. I'm planning on getting one of the $59.99 140s/2 ply fabrics next to see if that will have some heft to it.

I highly recommend the blue twill, great fabric and amazingly soft. Current fabric available is a different model then the one I got so your milage may vary.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csulli13
I highly recommend the blue twill, great fabric and amazingly soft. Current fabric available is a different model then the one I got so your milage may vary.

+10

Regards.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not aware of the per shirt shipping charge. I am generally happy with the one I just received, but the fabric is quite thin.

chip2chip

Reaction score
Which fabric is this? Is it 2PKWC978? That's listed as "pure cotton" which means it's one ply. I would stick to the 2-ply fabrics after the three shirts that I ordered. My latest one is a white herringbone that doesn't feel too bad. It's not that thin. It's listed as "pure cotton two ply 80s". Next, I intend to try one of those 2-ply 140s fabrics.

One thing, for some reason not all of their 2-ply fabrics are listed in the "2-ply" section of the website, so you have to hunt around all the sections to find them.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
I know - I commented on that when I posted. I quickly (and poorly) tucked the shirt in for these and forgot the zipper. Spezzatura!

Hah, you sprezzed your pants :p

The shirt looks good, but as you've said, some room round the shoulders might be good.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chip2chip
Which fabric is this? Is it 2PKWC978? That's listed as "pure cotton" which means it's one ply. I would stick to the 2-ply fabrics after the three shirts that I ordered. My latest one is a white herringbone that doesn't feel too bad. It's not that thin. It's listed as "pure cotton two ply 80s". Next, I intend to try one of those 2-ply 140s fabrics.

One thing, for some reason not all of their 2-ply fabrics are listed in the "2-ply" section of the website, so you have to hunt around all the sections to find them.

Correct, this is the fabric in question. Despite being thin I think the cotton is of good quality and the thinness of the shirt 'works' with such a summery pattern. I am looking at some of the 2-plys for my next order.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HPB, you mentionned that you're a regular user of another service. Is it Hemrajani(mytailor.com)? If not, have you considered giving them a try? I'm asking because I'm waiting for delivery of my first order...

Btw, congrats on #1000.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member