• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Cross post from the Ask Anything thread - might get a quicker response here!

Hi guys,

With sale season here, I was hoping to buy a briefcase for work - requirements:

* Can hold my 13" laptop and some documents, but otherwise slim (I don't need a thick messenger-like briefcase).
* Willing to consider both leather and canvas, slightly prefer the former.
* I wear a suit (usually navy) Monday to Thursday, and business casual (blazer + chinos) on Fridays.
* I would use a briefcase only for client meetings where laptop is required. Otherwise I don't carry enough stuff daily to justify a briefcase, would use a pouch instead.
* My budget is about USD400-700 (linked to above point, i.e. this is an occasional bag).

Two options I've been considering are the Mismo Morris leather and the Mismo Soft Work briefcases.

1) Any general comments on Mismo briefcases, if anyone has any experiences with them?

2) Any other recommendations from other brands?

Thanks!

Mismo Morris (in grey leather)

Mismo soft work (probably in khaki or black)

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the leather more assuming your suits aren't dressed down.

Conversely, I wouldn't go with the leather as I am never in a suit

trum01

Reaction score
Cross post from the Ask Anything thread - might get a quicker response here!

Hi guys,

With sale season here, I was hoping to buy a briefcase for work - requirements:

* Can hold my 13" laptop and some documents, but otherwise slim (I don't need a thick messenger-like briefcase).
* Willing to consider both leather and canvas, slightly prefer the former.
* I wear a suit (usually navy) Monday to Thursday, and business casual (blazer + chinos) on Fridays.
* I would use a briefcase only for client meetings where laptop is required. Otherwise I don't carry enough stuff daily to justify a briefcase, would use a pouch instead.
* My budget is about USD400-700 (linked to above point, i.e. this is an occasional bag).

Two options I've been considering are the Mismo Morris leather and the Mismo Soft Work briefcases.

1) Any general comments on Mismo briefcases, if anyone has any experiences with them?

2) Any other recommendations from other brands?

Thanks!

Mismo Morris (in grey leather)

Mismo soft work (probably in khaki or black)

How much is the Mismo Morris in grey leather?

Check out Linjer if you have not already.

ebayhtl

Reaction score

How much is the Mismo Morris in grey leather?

Check out Linjer if you have not already. 

Thanks. Checked out Linjer and it looks good too. The Mismo Morris on sale is about the same price so I might still go for that... but you've given me some food for thought!

marconovo

Reaction score
Hello, guys!

First time poster from Portugal here.
I was considering a Mismo shopper and was wondering what you guys think of the materials and quality/price ratio of the brand in general.

Thanks in advance.
Marco

ebayhtl

Reaction score

Hello, guys!

First time poster from Portugal here.
I was considering a Mismo shopper and was wondering what you guys think of the materials and quality/price ratio of the brand in general.

Thanks in advance.
Marco

I have three Mismo bags - the Soft Work and two pouches. All canvas, all excellent quality and construction (with thoughtful design), and bought them at reasonable prices (on sale) - very happy with them. With the Soft Work in particular, one of the few bags I can say I would buy at full price.

Big thumbs up from me.

Hypetrain

Reaction score

Here is my submission. It's not very expensive but it has served me well. I found this little bag behind a suitcase in a goodwill and i nursed it back to good health. since then it has been my bag for school and other things!

letsi

Reaction score

Point taken and thanks for the critique of the bag, I found the design intriguing although something a little off but couldn't put it in words, I guess it's the neither here nor there aspect of its design that stumped me a little.
The bag was actually selling at around USD300-400 depending on the size option.

The hermes plume unfortunately is way above my allowable budget.

May I know between these two bags belwo, which one would you prefer going for?

Just to follow up on my previous post, bought this as mentioned for my friend's birthday gift. My apologies for the pictures but they came from a samsung note 2 and the lighting in my apartment isn't exactly studio quality

Letter from shop as appreciation for the purchase and bag care details.

Bottom of the bag is studded with brass feet, the curvature at the bottom as seen in the original picture I posted is not observed in person

Zippers with the very un-obtrusive branding, note that the zipper is off center on purpose so that it can accommodate the strap D-rings right beside the zippers

Interior of the bag, has two leather side pockets. Note that there is no fabric lining which I thought is a good thing since in my experience fabric lining (bags of this price range) wears out faster than the exterior leather

Bag on my friend's back, he's 5'7 and bag's around 16 inches in width

Cost is around USD370 (ex. Japan consumption tax) and inclusive of global shipping. Am tempted to get the smaller sized one for myself... :slayer:

Last edited:

jmaudi0

Reaction score
any recommendations on where to purchase a Filson Original Briefcase to get the best deal? i'm looking to get one for my dad as a bday present . his current "briefcase" is in desperate need of replacement.

benjaminroy

Reaction score
any recommendations on where to purchase a Filson Original Briefcase to get the best deal? i'm looking to get one for my dad as a bday present . his current "briefcase" is in desperate need of replacement.

I bought mine at a store in Chicago and it was significantly cheaper there than online. That's the best deal afaik.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
I bought mine at a store in Chicago and it was significantly cheaper there than online. That's the best deal afaik.
...wanna tell me what store it was? lol.

I see $265 all over the place and lots of 10% off coupons. I'm fine with that pricing...just wondering if there is a better deal to be found.

I guess I didn't phrase my original question well. Is there a Styleforum Affiliated shop that sells the Filson Briefcase?

benjaminroy

Reaction score
...wanna tell me what store it was? lol.

I see $265 all over the place and lots of 10% off coupons. I'm fine with that pricing...just wondering if there is a better deal to be found.

I guess I didn't phrase my original question well. Is there a Styleforum Affiliated shop that sells the Filson Briefcase?

It was Mildblend on Milwaukee in Wicker Park.

Mine is actually the 257 (Computer briefcase) which online sells for $345 but I think I paid $300 in the store. Seems like that's the deal with most Filson bags, though.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a khaki green leather messenger bag from MMM last January. The leather was quite stiff but I thought it would age quite nicely. Sadly one of the side attachments where the shoulder straps are connected started to unravel after four days. I took a look underneath the leather wrap and found out that the piece itself was only attached with some flimsy stitches and then glued. I have to say the quality was appalling. I considered having it repaired here locally since I loved everything else about it but the tab on the other side also broke before I could get to the cobbler. Needless to say I sent it back right away. I wonder if I just got a bad one of if the quality has deteriorated since the company was sold to Diesel...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm mine has held up quite well, but I don't use the shoulder strap...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads