• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

ksl0588

Reaction score
Just got 3 short sleeve shirts for the summer. They are Egyptian cotton from RK Textiles. The quaility of Egyptian cotton from RK is a bit better than from Nita Fashions. I showed the fabric bill to the baotou, the baotou explained, it's Indian cotton. Real Egyptian cotton is 10 times the price.

HK$170 (fabric cost) + HK$130 (workmanship, made in HK) = HK$300 / tailor made shirt.
I witnessed the sifu making my shirts in their Mirador workshop, it's real made in HK. Just ordinary shirts, nothing too fancy.

Is this the correct supplier you were referring to? RK Textiles

IMG_0572.png

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@ksl0588,

reputable fabric suppliers online, can purchase shirt cotton per yard:
1) https://www.albinigroup.com/en/
2) https://www.acornfabrics.com/

Local fabric shops (shirt cotton), retail in HK:
12B) shirt fabric shops

1) Top grade: https://www.albinigroup.com/en/

11) Indian cotton: R K Textiles.
#1,936: RK is located in the same building, forgot the unit number, could be the same unit.

4) China cotton: Regent Silk

3) Italian cotton: Lung Wah Hong

Last edited:

PocketJack

Reaction score
HK$300 labor + fabric is a good budget for me to start with. And Indian might be a good starting point for me for a work horse shirt collection. Could you recommend a reputable fabric supplier online where I can purchase per yard?
I think Wong Sifu charges 360+/shirt now

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Just got a few shirts for ordinary daily work, good for me to go a few days trip. This is another example of budget making shirts, around HK$300/shirt (fabric cost + labour cost). This is oxford cotton:

full

This is my list of shirt tailor, price tells quality:
1) Wong MH sifu
2) Mak sifu
3) Ma sifu
4) Lam sifu

1) & 2), they always make shirts for tailor shops that sell shirts for HK$1k+/shirt.
2), 3) & 4), they are good for ordinary daily work, nothing fancy.

For those without much experiences buying shirt fabrics, here's my tips:
Don't buy China or India "的確涼" "的確良" "Dacron", i.e. polyethylene terephthalate (PET), it's too plastic! If you don't know what to buy, try oxford cotton. Oxford cotton is very commonly seen in shirts, and don't buy too thin fabrics.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I planned to make this one, but I couldn't find this leather:

blazer1.jpg

I found this leather and Tang sifu made this leather blazer for me:

full

high grade Spanish lambskin (printed leather) from Daiwa leather: around HK$1.6k
Japanese lining: around HK$100
workmanship by retired Tang sifu at home: HK$1k
my total cost: around HK$2.7k

lining for leather jacket: Japanese lining Vs Japanese thick cotton
Japanese lining is light weight.
Japanese thick cotton is to keep warm in winter.

Last edited:

dygital

Reaction score
Has anyone made anything recently? Wanted to get something made since its been a while so wanted to see if anyone has an idea of the going price for Ng sifu or Lok sifu.

I would imagine pants Wong is out of the question seeing how much he is charging nowadays.

Any new insights as to who is the best sifu to get a teba/safari made? Still the kam ma/leather makers?

Sashidc

Reaction score
I planned to make this one, but I couldn't find this leather:

View attachment 2041235

I found this leather and Tang sifu made this leather blazer for me:

full

high grade Spanish lambskin (printed leather) from Daiwa leather: around HK$1.6k
Japanese lining: around HK$100
workmanship by retired Tang sifu at home: HK$1k
my total cost: around HK$2.7k

lining for leather jacket: Japanese lining Vs Japanese thick cotton
Japanese lining is light weight.
Japanese thick cotton is to keep warm in winter.
Hi - Do you know where I can source ribbing fabric in Hong Kong or online, similar to the attached picture that has a pattern on inside edge?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 11.19.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 11.19.04 PM.png
    882.9 KB · Views: 349

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@dygital

Good sifu are always busy. Ng sifu said he is always full.

Wong SY sifu is good in making trousers. He has shown me his trousers products a few times, I see they all got special designs. That's why his charge is higher than other sifu. When we are looking for trousers with ordinary designs, we go other sifu for lower cost.

Lok sifu is NOT recommended.

For safari jacket, Kam Ma is charging alot more for more details in workmanship. The retired Tang sifu is charging much less, he has shown me his safari jackets products, I see details in workmanship. Tang sifu is skillful but he does not understand fashion threads in mordern time, you need to show him more photos of what you need in details.

@Sashidc

My blog tells a few shops in SSP. Baotou and tailors in HK always go to the same SSP shops for accessories and ribbing fabrics. You need to show them your #1,943 photo, they will guide you which shop to buy. They are the supply chain: 14)

Last edited:

Sashidc

Reaction score
@dygital

Good sifu are always busy. Ng sifu said he is always full.

Wong SY sifu is good in making trousers. He has shown me his trousers products a few times, I see they all got special designs. That's why his charge is higher than other sifu. When we are looking for trousers with ordinary designs, we go other sifu for lower cost.

Lok sifu is NOT recommended.

For safari jacket, Kam Ma is charging alot more for more details in workmanship. The retired Tang sifu is charging much less, he has shown me his safari jackets products, I see details in workmanship. Tang sifu is skillful but he does not understand fashion threads in mordern time, you need to show him more photos of what you need in details.

@Sashidc

My blog tells a few shops in SSP. Baotou and tailors in HK always go to the same SSP shops for accessories and ribbing fabrics. You need to show them your #1,943 photo, they will guide you which shop to buy. They are the supply chain: 14)
Thanks for the advise!

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@Sashidc

A few months ago, I had my leather jacket fitting in Tang's home in Fanling. I saw he got loads of ribbing fabric in stock (including the same color of your #1,943), he said some factories closed, and he is keeping those stocks. You can ask him to sell some to you, if you cannot find your color in SSP retail.

My blog 14), SSP is the center area for those retail shops. They are the supply chain of accessory for all kinds of garment. Behind them, there are accessory factories supplying to all kinds of garment factories world-wide.

Sashidc

Reaction score
@Sashidc

A few months ago, I had my leather jacket fitting in Tang's home in Fanling. I saw he got loads of ribbing fabric in stock (including the same color of your #1,943), he said some factories closed, and he is keeping those stocks. You can ask him to sell some to you, if you cannot find your color in SSP retail.

My blog 14), SSP is the center area for those retail shops. They are the supply chain of accessory for all kinds of garment. Behind them, there are accessory factories supplying to all kinds of garment factories world-wide.

@Sashidc

Sure thanks. I actually ordered some rib knits online and having them shipped to Fanling. I am about to commission a suede jacket similar to your field jacket style. I think that looks very nice and also you figured out the exact pattern which would help in my case.

Could you share the pattern and measurements you might have used for your suede field jacket if you have them?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Sure thanks. I actually ordered some rib knits online and having them shipped to Fanling. I am about to commission a suede jacket similar to your field jacket style. I think that looks very nice and also you figured out the exact pattern which would help in my case.

Could you share the pattern and measurements you might have used for your suede field jacket if you have them?
google: suede field jacket

there are loaded of photos of many different suede field jackets from many brands. look into details and show them to your sifu, your sifu will make things right for you. Pay attention to your fitting, look at details and proportion of pocket size, lapel size, etc.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@jyu1415

read the blog, 10) C)
2) Tang sifu and 4) Kam Ma

they have been making casual jackets for decades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads