• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans fitting

hssspoks

Reaction score
Hey Forum. I've been wanting to get more intentional about my style for a while now. Today I had to go shop new jeans to replace my old broken ones and I thought I'm going to ask and find advice before I buy anything. I've always just bought jeans that feel good and look reasonable.

I tried out dozen of pairs and if I honestly valuate my knowledge about jean fit, it's not that good. Even if the pair looks good to me, I can't say if it's correct or my eyes are just used to wrong fit.

Here's few photos of different fits. First one is Lee's Luke model. Slim and tapered. Feels good, but is bit too tight on my calf. Might also be too tight, but is this a personal question rather than fashion question?

Näyttökuva 2024-05-03 kello 16.07.55.png

Second one is Lee's Rider. Regular slim. Feels and looks good to me, but there's some extra fabric at the bottom which feels excessive. Also gives that lumpy feeling under knees. Size is 33/30 and I couldn't find anything under 30 in store.
Näyttökuva 2024-05-03 kello 16.09.50.png

Third one is Jack & Jones' Mike, tapered fit. It's 32 length. Again, store didn't have anything shorter. This feels obviously too long for me, with that baggy feeling all the way.

Näyttökuva 2024-05-03 kello 16.10.18.png

Any advice you can give me finding a right size jeans I will highly appreciate!

rjc149

Reaction score
Don't worry about the inseam (length). This is a quick, cheap alteration at the tailor's, or you can simply cuff them.

The angle of your photos are not ideal for assessing fit, but they all look fine. Sounds like the Lee's Rider is the best for you.

KOz

Reaction score
It's hard to give advice without knowing how you dress or what aesthetics you're going for. There's no such thing as the "right" fit for jeans.

That being said, the first pair is basically denim leggings. Third pair is okay, but I would personally go with a slightly wider fit still. Try and see how your entire outfit silhouette flows - if you look like a box on stilts, your jeans might be too skinny for your top half.

Last edited:

hssspoks

Reaction score
It's hard to give advice without knowing how you dress or what aesthetics you're going for. There's no such thing as the "right" fit for jeans.

That being said, the first pair is basically denim leggings. Third pair is okay, but I would personally go with a slightly wider fit still. Try and see how your entire outfit silhouette flows - if you look like a box on stilts, your jeans might be too skinny for your top half.
Is it always situational how you're jeans can fit or are there some rules? What I think is that the size needs to be correct, waist needs to fit in a certain way (high rise, low rise). Thanks for that box on stilts image. I got the first pair as it felt the best for me on the second try. Third one was very baggy, but then again my friend who has more relaxed style said he prefers jeans to have some extra

KOz

Reaction score
Is it always situational how you're jeans can fit or are there some rules? What I think is that the size needs to be correct, waist needs to fit in a certain way (high rise, low rise). Thanks for that box on stilts image. I got the first pair as it felt the best for me on the second try. Third one was very baggy, but then again my friend who has more relaxed style said he prefers jeans to have some extra
It's based on the aesthetics you're going for. If you're going for a sort of average joe take, then go for a middle-of-the-road approach. Make sure the waist fits (get it altered if needed). Don't go for either skin-tight or super baggy. Length-wise it depends if you like cuffs or not.

If you've always worn tighter jeans, going looser fit will take getting used to. That doesn't make it a wrong choice.

I've attached two pictures of folks wearing jeans. Both are completely valid fits.

Attachments

• SAMURAI-S710XX19OZII-back-best-mens-seveldge-jeans-guide-edited-scaled~2.jpg
    SAMURAI-S710XX19OZII-back-best-mens-seveldge-jeans-guide-edited-scaled~2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 39
  • tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co9_r2_1280.png
    tumblr_ou725nA80p1qa2j8co9_r2_1280.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

hssspoks

Reaction score
It's based on the aesthetics you're going for. If you're going for a sort of average joe take, then go for a middle-of-the-road approach. Make sure the waist fits (get it altered if needed). Don't go for either skin-tight or super baggy. Length-wise it depends if you like cuffs or not.

If you've always worn tighter jeans, going looser fit will take getting used to. That doesn't make it a wrong choice.

I've attached two pictures of folks wearing jeans. Both are completely valid fits.
Ok that's interesting. I see the first one probably wears a print shirt or band shirt or something that goes with the bottom style.

If you were skinny jeans, can those fit with an oversized shirt or do you always have to follow the same "tightness" for all the pieces?

KOz

Reaction score
Ok that's interesting. I see the first one probably wears a print shirt or band shirt or something that goes with the bottom style.

If you were skinny jeans, can those fit with an oversized shirt or do you always have to follow the same "tightness" for all the pieces?
I suggest researching an aesthetic you like for silhouette and inspiration. For example, workwear. There are so many different style cultures to use as a reference.

Personally I'd try to match the fit so all the pieces match.

rjc149

Reaction score
At the end of the day, the way your clothing fits is going to be a matter of personal preference -- some sort of marriage between comfort and flattery of your body within the prevailing paradigm of contemporary fashion sense.

When it comes to jeans, I believe they should fit a little more closely than dress trousers or chinos, without being skinny. If you're looking for a general "rule" for good fit, you want to be able to pinch off about 1-2 inches of loose fabric at mid-thigh. The higher the rise, the more room in the crotch and the better it will look when you're tucking a shirt in (although I never tuck shirts into jeans). Slimmer cuts will have lower rises, generally. Most men look good with a slim-straight or straight fit jean. I think you need a certain body type and a certain alternative fashion sense to pull off 'skinny' fits and even then, I don't it looks good.

hssspoks

Reaction score
At the end of the day, the way your clothing fits is going to be a matter of personal preference -- some sort of marriage between comfort and flattery of your body within the prevailing paradigm of contemporary fashion sense.

When it comes to jeans, I believe they should fit a little more closely than dress trousers or chinos, without being skinny. If you're looking for a general "rule" for good fit, you want to be able to pinch off about 1-2 inches of loose fabric at mid-thigh. The higher the rise, the more room in the crotch and the better it will look when you're tucking a shirt in (although I never tuck shirts into jeans). Slimmer cuts will have lower rises, generally. Most men look good with a slim-straight or straight fit jean. I think you need a certain body type and a certain alternative fashion sense to pull off 'skinny' fits and even then, I don't it looks good.
Thanks for this. I’ve heard now couple of times that skinnier fits are out of fashion and after reading extensively about style I feel like obeying to macro trends isn’t such a bad thing. I’m looking to get bit baggier jeans.

How would you say these fit on that skinny-baggy scale? I believe they are slim fit with tapered leg.

Are the jeans too slim compared to my oversized shirt here?
Don’t mind the hole in the pants, that’s the ones I’m replacing

IMG_2742.jpeg

KOz

Reaction score
You can safely go looser fit than that. To me that is on the tighter side. Here are two cuts that would work well.

Attachments

• 101003903_02.jpg
    101003903_02.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 39
  • NYC067021_02.jpg
    NYC067021_02.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 38

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them