• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
I'm going to replicate a Kamakura BD collar, but with hidden buttons. There are some working environments were ties cannot be worn 90% of the time, but button down collars are looked down upon as well. A hidden button down collar would be the perfect solution for such a conundrum.

At the risk of derailing, can you elaborate a little? I gather you're in the UK, where I had heard of some nebulous bias against BD collars as 'American', but I didn't realise that it was limited to or focussed on specific working environments: very interesting.

LuxireStudio

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

jchosko

Reaction score

For reference, I feel like this photo captures the differences between Luxire's Brembana Blue University Stripes and Blueish-Green University Stripe oxfords quite well. Though the representation of the 'actual' colors will be monitor-dependent, you can see here that the fabrics are quite different from one another. Though I like the Blueish-Green cloth quite a bit, I will say the fabric has a bit of a dirty/vintage coloration to it. It is very obviously an off-white almost cream-like color, whereas the white in the Blue University Stripes shirting is a truer white. Hope this information/pic may be of use to some folks on the fence about the two fabrics. To be honest, the best path to tread is probably to go ahead and get both... :D

lukejackson

Reaction score
Has anyone got the Cream Tan Stripes Chino?

@luxire
Do you guys have the weight (don't go to any trouble, just if you have it on hand).

Also, do you guys have the Brisbane Moss Canvas in Grape?

I couldn't see it listed but thought maybe it's just not up, given the extensive range you already have of their fabrics.

Last edited:

MacGuffen

Reaction score

You mentioned that you have a long neck. How do you think the collar would look on someone with a short/average neck?

It doesn't look great if the collar swallows your whole neck, but likely you would be fine. An extra 0.25 inches isn't much. Your best bet would be to look at your standard neck-bands and take it from there. Is there room for 0.25 inches more?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much would it cost to have the chambray shirt professionally faded?
Also, does anyone know if I get the same results if I wash it in the wash machine?

Turner

Reaction score

For reference, I feel like this photo captures the differences between Luxire's Brembana Blue University Stripes and Blueish-Green University Stripe oxfords quite well. Though the representation of the 'actual' colors will be monitor-dependent, you can see here that the fabrics are quite different from one another. Though I like the Blueish-Green cloth quite a bit, I will say the fabric has a bit of a dirty/vintage coloration to it. It is very obviously an off-white almost cream-like color, whereas the white in the Blue University Stripes shirting is a truer white. Hope this information/pic may be of use to some folks on the fence about the two fabrics. To be honest, the best path to tread is probably to go ahead and get both...
biggrin.gif

I've got the Blueish Green and like it's cream very much. In fact I was hoping the Blue University Stripes would also have cream as base color. But it is still not a bright white, more off-white or broken white.

Bonney

Reaction score
What type of fabric is the White Panama Weave? I mean, is this like an oxford cloth or similar? what´s the difference?

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the risk of derailing, can you elaborate a little?  I gather you're in the UK, where I had heard of some nebulous bias against BD collars as 'American', but I didn't realise that it was limited to or focussed on specific working environments: very interesting.

The rise of 'business casual' has caused people to wear suits without ties, even in the most conservative sectors. I'll be working in/have worked in finance, which used be one of the most formal sectors in the UK, with very little room to dress differently. Nowadays, people are wearing a navy suit, black cap toe oxfords, a white shirt with cufflinks, and no tie. It's basically the same outfit they wore before business casual became the norm, except the they got rid of the tie. It looks very odd, and is a huge mix of formalities.

Seniors will deride you if you wear a tie, but also if you wear a shirt with a BD collar. Those are seen as very informal and American. Most collars worn without a tie/jacket tend to look a bit weird, they'll be floppy and sag a bit throughout the day. You can get smaller collars, but they don't look good when you do have to wear a tie when meeting clients for example, which can happen at a moments notice. Sometimes you'll see people putting on and taking off their tie 4 times a day, which is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Just wear the damn thing all day long.

Anyway, a hidden button down collar will look great with and without a tie, and the buttons will be hidden, so (hopefully) it won't be looked down upon.

Last edited:

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
That *is* exceedingly odd-- I suppose the next step is tieless white-tie, or perhaps shoeless soft-shoeing... The constant removal and replacement of the ties is hilarious, and maybe just enough hassle to drive people into the region of hell reserved for those who wear zippers and Velcro around their necks; I think Dante put them in the eternal waiting-room outside the gates, along with the collaborators.

Derision aside, it really does seem like that set of preconceptions backs you into a corner where the hidden BD is the only viable option, or maybe some magnetic version as discussed above. That's unfortunate, but at least you have *some* options.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That *is* exceedingly odd-- I suppose the next step is tieless white-tie, or perhaps shoeless soft-shoeing... The constant removal and replacement of the ties is hilarious, and maybe just enough hassle to drive people into the region of hell reserved for those who wear zippers and Velcro around their necks; I think Dante put them in the eternal waiting-room outside the gates, along with the collaborators.

Derision aside, it really does seem like that set of preconceptions backs you into a corner where the hidden BD is the only viable option, or maybe some magnetic version as discussed above. That's unfortunate, but at least you have *some* options.

It's hilarious to watch. As soon as someone enters the office they start tugging incessantly on their tie in order to take it off as quickly as possible. It's like a tie is an evil thing that might just choke them if they don't remove it instantly. You won't have to wait long before they get up with a sigh and try to tie their tie again, only to remove it as soon as they come back again. It would be for the best if we all accept that business casual is a failed experiment in the UK and reinstate the 'business formal' dress code.

Wearing an odd jacket/trouser combination is also seen as inferior, even though it is infinitely more appropriate for business casual. It seems like Americans are much more adapted to the business casual dress code than the Brits. OCBDS, navy blazers, khakis, and brown shoes; it's a much more coherent outfit. Anyway, I doubt anyone outside of SF cares enough about this to actually make a change.

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Hoping someone here can offer some assistance. I'd like to order a pair of trousers through Luxire. Can anyone tell me what the waistband construction is like? In particular, are the waistbands stiff, soft, etc? One of my dislikes is when trousers have these stiff, fused waistbands that feel like cardboard. Thanks!
smile.gif

Waistband is sensual. Solid structure, but soft. Not stiff at all.

Will be ordering more trousers soon I reckon. At $100-$150 for MTM trousers I'm like a fat kid in candy store. Going bananas, and praying I don't get diabetes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads