• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth suit

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you got to give me some tips on finding these bad boys on ebay for so cheap too. 42R

Luck, and constant searching. I will sometimes spend an entire weekend searching e-bay for scores. Yes, I am a bit obsessive. Thing is, down here you can't find alot of this stuff, period. I would not even know where to find a RLPL suit. Saks doesn't carry it, maybe Rubenstein Brothers. I don't know. My E-Bay philosophy is that I buy what I like. If it appeals to me and falls within my comfort zone on spending, I will go for it. I have also made bad purchases and I have a few in the closet that I should move back out. But, all in all, I am satisfied. I have also scored great watches, guitars and other things on E-Bay. BTW, I am also a 42, so you are competing with me....and I am also watching that houndstooth Polo.
lookaround.gif

Mike

originalskin

Reaction score
We call it "dog tooth" in the UK, not that that's a big deal. Very popolar in the late 60's early 70's but not such a tweedy fabric. A suit in this fabric would make you look like Sherlock Holmes, assuming that is not your intent, then it has to be a black pair of trousers, sorry pants...

The patch breast pocket looks a bit out of place. Fabric looks a good wool, but with modern weaving techniques who knows.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Luck, and constant searching. I will sometimes spend an entire weekend searching e-bay for scores. Yes, I am a bit obsessive. Thing is, down here you can't find alot of this stuff, period. I would not even know where to find a RLPL suit. Saks doesn't carry it, maybe Rubenstein Brothers. I don't know. My E-Bay philosophy is that I buy what I like. If it appeals to me and falls within my comfort zone on spending, I will go for it. I have also made bad purchases and I have a few in the closet that I should move back out. But, all in all, I am satisfied. I have also scored great watches, guitars and other things on E-Bay. BTW, I am also a 42, so you are competing with me....and I am also watching that houndstooth Polo.
lookaround.gif
Mike

Did you buy the t-shirt?

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
HoundstoothMike.jpg

Circa 1975. Most were beltless. RL supposedly left Norman Hilton mfg. over those shoulders/sleeveheads. Made by Lanham Ltd. in Lowell, Mass., later PRL Tailored Clothing till circa '92. There's almost as much hand sewing in the jacket as the current RLPL SA jacket (excluding buttonholes), more than the earlier Chester Barrie RLPL.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Been done- looks cool:

shepherdcheck3pccopyso2.jpg

Agreed it'd look even better as a DB.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Looks great, if you're 100 years old.

I had a suit like this (though a slightly smaller check) when I was 21 though with lapels on the waistcoat. It was the 60's/70's and I thought at the time a cross between Mod and Country.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Circa 1975. Most were beltless. RL supposedly left Norman Hilton mfg. over those shoulders/sleeveheads. Made by Lanham Ltd. in Lowell, Mass., later PRL Tailored Clothing till circa '92. There's almost as much hand sewing in the jacket as the current RLPL SA jacket (excluding buttonholes), more than the earlier Chester Barrie RLPL.

So, I guess I got a fair deal for $40 shipped then? I really do like the fit, especially the pants. The jacket could be a little more roomy, but I am working on dropping a little so I can start wearing a 40 in lieu of a 42. We will see.

Mike

wetnose

Reaction score
Next time you're at a fine restaurant, try to see if you can talk to the chefs...I've noticed that a fine houndstooth in cotton is the preferred choice for a lot of chefs. Somehow stains don't show as easily....something about the pattern just scrambles the perception of the fabric.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
I had a suit like this (though a slightly smaller check) when I was 21 though with lapels on the waistcoat. It was the 60's/70's and I thought at the time a cross between Mod and Country.

Ahh! that is critical. The smaller (tighter) check would look nice indeed. What colour was yours?
In the grey or brown spectrum? My comment was influenced on that artwork by the way.
smile.gif

Winot

Reaction score
Finally got round to taking my length of Minnis Rangoon black/white houndstooth into Graham Brown. After much agonising over the last few months, have gone for:

2B SB peak lapel with side vents; buggy lined in lilac; black buttons
5 button show 6 SB waistcoat with four welt pockets with black back lining
Brace top trousers with fishtail back; double pleats and 2" turn-ups

First fitting in 2/3 weeks; should be finished for the Christmas party season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads