• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth suit

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not getting my brown and tan Polo houndstooth suit. The guy ripped me off. First time in 10 years of E-Bay use that someone took my money and then never communicated again. Too bad, I really wanted that suit and it was a good deal.

Mike

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I am not getting my brown and tan Polo houndstooth suit. The guy ripped me off. First time in 10 years of E-Bay use that someone took my money and then never communicated again. Too bad, I really wanted that suit and it was a good deal. Mike
Where did you expect to wear this suit?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Where did you expect to wear this suit?

In the country, to shoot tower thrown Chukar.

In all sincerity, I would wear it to court or a to deposition. I am not afraid to wear something a little out there. It was not that crazy though, really. I live in New Orleans, we are pretty laid back here. Of course, I would have to wait until the dead of winter to wear it...for fear of melting. So, I would not get much use out of it.

Mike

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the country, to shoot tower thrown Chukar. In all sincerity, I would wear it to court or a to deposition. I am not afraid to wear something a little out there. It was not that crazy though, really. I live in New Orleans, we are pretty laid back here. Of course, I would have to wait until the dead of winter to wear it...for fear of melting. So, I would not get much use out of it. Mike
I don't see much use for a suit like this myself.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see much use for a suit like this myself.

Why not? It is a classic pattern. What about it renders it useless in your book?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? It is a classic pattern. What about it renders it useless in your book?
By classic, you mean it has existed for a long time? Like a Victorian Egyptologist might have worn this in a movie and it looked great? It isn't so much the pattern but the use. If it's true that fewer men wear suits which is the reason I often see cited as a reason to wear what one will, then it seems there is little use to choose a suit to stand out in. Thus, I could understand the believe that armies of navy pinstriped men might drive people to choose fringe suit colors and patterns but in the absence of this condition, I hardly see the need and do not consider it sartorially sound. I suppose the black and white or brown and white houndstooth is an acceptable jacket pattern and you could just get the pants as an extra. But I don't like odd jackets with a lot of white in them. I don't believe elegance for men exists without an attendant purpose. Which means that although an item should have some intrinsic aesthetic beauty it should also have an intrinsic purpose and therefore validity. People who choose fabrics because the fabrics look "beautiful" or some such similar notion are not considering how it will look made up and what use/effect it will have. This is where the discipline, thought, taste, talent etc. come into play. It's easy to look at a fabric and think it is nice, so many fabrics are nice as a bolt but it is difficult to imagine their place in your life.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Huh?

What "use" is there for glen plaid? or herringbone? or chalkstripes? or any pattern for that matter?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By classic, you mean it has existed for a long time? Like a Victorian Egyptologist might have worn this in a movie and it looked great?

It isn't so much the pattern but the use. If it's true that fewer men wear suits which is the reason I often see cited as a reason to wear what one will, then it seems there is little use to choose a suit to stand out in. Thus, I could understand the believe that armies of navy pinstriped men might drive people to choose fringe suit colors and patterns but in the absence of this condition, I hardly see the need and do not consider it sartorially sound.

I suppose the black and white or brown and white houndstooth is an acceptable jacket pattern and you could just get the pants as an extra. But I don't like odd jackets with a lot of white in them.

I don't believe elegance for men exists without an attendant purpose. Which means that although an item should have some intrinsic aesthetic beauty it should also have an intrinsic purpose and therefore validity. People who choose fabrics because the fabrics look "beautiful" or some such similar notion are not considering how it will look made up and what use/effect it will have. This is where the discipline, thought, taste, talent etc. come into play. It's easy to look at a fabric and think it is nice, so many fabrics are nice as a bolt but it is difficult to imagine their place in your life.

Well, it was Ralph Lauren...so the Egyptologist reference is probably spot on. Although it was more of Ralph using that as an inspiration. I thought the suit was relatively tame, but I admit that I bought it BECAUSE it was a houndstooth SUIT and not an odd jacket. And, sure, I may have some romantic notion of bygone eras floating through my mind when I envision myself wearing it, but that is why I love Ralph Lauren. I know we have discussed this before. Plus, nothing bores me more to tears than a plain blue suit, or the Security Guard look of a blue blazer and chracoal pants. So, yes, I am a bit of a peacock when it comes to clothes...but that seems pretty common around here. And, I can get away with that type of thing down here because this is a very laid back place. Would I wear a houndstooth suit to federal court in NY, for example? Hell no. But to go see a Magistrate judge in the Eastern District of La? Why not? Why wear clothes that you find boring? Is it all about conforming to what others think the norm is from a sartorial perspective?

Just curious.

Mike

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Huh?

What "use" is there for glen plaid? or herringbone? or chalkstripes? or any pattern for that matter?

9780446614283_388X586.jpg

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it was Ralph Lauren...so the Egyptologist reference is probably spot on. Although it was more of Ralph using that as an inspiration. I thought the suit was relatively tame, but I admit that I bought it BECAUSE it was a houndstooth SUIT and not an odd jacket. And, sure, I may have some romantic notion of bygone eras floating through my mind when I envision myself wearing it, but that is why I love Ralph Lauren. I know we have discussed this before. Plus, nothing bores me more to tears than a plain blue suit, or the Security Guard look of a blue blazer and chracoal pants. So, yes, I am a bit of a peacock when it comes to clothes...but that seems pretty common around here. And, I can get away with that type of thing down here because this is a very laid back place. Would I wear a houndstooth suit to federal court in NY, for example? Hell no. But to go see a Magistrate judge in the Eastern District of La? Why not? Why wear clothes that you find boring? Is it all about conforming to what others think the norm is from a sartorial perspective? Just curious. Mike
Inspirations are great for so many things, clothes included but the literal adaptations are often unwise. I realize there are quite a few who cannot understand this but then there is quite a lot of autism going around these days too. At least your suit was rtw which works for me better than frittering money on a custom jobby of this pattern. At least part of the purpose of custom suits is the idea that you will wear the item a lot and be comfortable in it. There are times when this does not apply but the exceptions constantly become the rule around here and then we end up with this "anything goes" belief, which is even held by people who feel there exists a formula. And this bit about conformity. By definition, mens suits are a conformist gesture. And I rather wonder about people who find wearing a navy suit boring. I would think the cut, the fit, the material, the workmanship, the lining, the details are what make it exciting. I think mens clothes are sometimes conforming to what others think but the absence of bright line rules does not mean anything goes; does not mean one can rationalize anything they feel like. The talent lies in figuring out what bits need to conform and what bits can be individualized to get the response one wants. Part of the literal approach lies with the belief that because it is in a fabric book by a certain merchant, it must have a stamp of approval. For intance, I get the sense here that H. Lesser is held to be "Old skool" and thus superior to Scabal's offerings. But H. Lesser may also be making fabrics which are in demand in a market they do represent in people's minds. This in turn leads to selection of some of these fringe fabrics because after the initial vetting the only job left is to select whatever tickles ones fancy. And, I think it isnt just suits but all articles of clothes that this gets done with. This Kitchen sink approach to dressing is more akin to dancing vigorously without music than it is to an interest in clothes. It reminds me of a horror film where people discover an old book of spells and thinking it's all mubo jumbo, recite incatations that place them in serious peril.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a black and white houndstooth (tiny teeth) suit in linen.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not getting my brown and tan Polo houndstooth suit. The guy ripped me off. First time in 10 years of E-Bay use that someone took my money and then never communicated again. Too bad, I really wanted that suit and it was a good deal. Mike
I think I own this very suit, but I wear it as separates, since I rarely wear suits. I also work in a casual environment (a university), where any suit is likely to generate comments. The houndstooth pattern is very small and the colors are low-contrast, so it's fairly conservative when worn as separates. Sorry to hear about your ebay experience. Edit: Since I do work in a casual environment, I could see myself wearing it as a suit occasionally, though I am by nature a conservative fellow.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least your suit was rtw which works for me better than frittering money on a custom jobby of this pattern. At least part of the purpose of custom suits is the idea that you will wear the item a lot and be comfortable in it. There are times when this does not apply but the exceptions constantly become the rule around here and then we end up with this "anything goes" belief, which is even held by people who feel there exists a formula.

Well, yeah. It was RTW and it was $50.
fing02[1].gif
I would not spend thousands on a custom houndstooth suit because I would not get enough wear out of it. I would have to get the conservative blue suit in that instance, because you can always wear it. However, if I were more well off and already had a wardrobe full of "essentials" I could see having one made, since it would be fun to wear. There was a also a black and white houndstooth RLPL on the bay last week. It was a three piece, complete with hacking pockets and the obligatory ticket pocket. And, yes, I had the droolies for it..but I was not willing to risk the money since it was probably a little on the small side, being a 40. Still, I almost snagged it since I am trying to get down to a 40. And, yeah, I know well and good that it is as practical as a paper asshole.
tongue.gif

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I think I own this very suit, but I wear it as separates, since I rarely wear suits. I also work in a casual environment (a university), where any suit is likely to generate comments. The houndstooth pattern is very small and the colors are low-contrast, so it's fairly conservative when worn as separates.

Sorry to hear about your ebay experience.

Edit: Since I do work in a casual environment, I could see myself wearing it as a suit occasionally, though I am by nature a conservative fellow.

I would say this one had a decent size to the pattern, but certainly not traveling minstrel show size. It also was a 3 button.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member