• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget RTW Tailoring (UK based) Ideas and advice

cweeks91

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

Probably asking a question here that has been asked a thousand times in slightly different ways, but I have some quite specific conditions and I’m really struggling!

For one of my best friends’ wedding I am one of 4 groomsmen, because of my interest (obsession) with menswear and tailoring it’s my task to organise the outfits for all 4 of us.

Unfortunately I’m finding it really difficult to find anything that (in my opinion) looks good, and meets the budget. I’m not familiar with brands in this bracket. For reference I wear MTM and RTW from The Anthology, Anglo Italian, Drake’s, etc. and dabble in bespoke. Personally I consider Natalino to be a budget option, and I’m aware of Spier and Mckay and Suitsupply, but all are coming in over budget. I have also checked out YOOX but difficult to buy 4 of the same item. Same goes for items on sale, there are only random sizes left.

I’ve checked out the usual suspects like Moss, Next, M&S but I really hate the style. (Understand it’s not about me and tastes differ, but I’m feeling responsible for the 4 of us turning up looking great!).

I guess what I’m looking for are any recommendations for brands I may not have heard of that come close to the criteria below. Or perhaps a wake up call that I’m being unrealistic and what I’m looking for doesn’t exist! So I can reset my expectations.

I’d massively appreciate any suggestions from anyone kind enough to wade through this post. Cheers.

- Budget: £400 per person for jacket and trouser (can be suit or separates*), the guys will provide their own shirts and shoes, and I’m planning to gift each of them with a nice matching tie, white hank and socks to remember the day.

- Cloth: Any, summer wedding so cottons, linens will be ok and may save on cost. I’d like to avoid poly

- Style: Classic, desperately trying to avoid short jackets, low rise pants, and razor thin lapels. 😭 Prefer side adjusters if at all possible.

- Make: Happy to sacrifice finishing and I don’t care where the garment is manufactured

- Retailer: Any country, however if not U.K. taxes and duties would be a hit to the budget and would be a bit of a nightmare to return as I’m planning to order a couple of sizes each and return the rest.

*One idea I had was to stretch the budget by going for separates, spending more on the jacket and saving on the trouser, which I think would look better overall. I have checked with the bride and groom and they’re happy with this, and the event is casual enough. I’m confident in picking something harmonious with the right contrast in colour / texture to look good.

** Goes without saying I’ll be taking everyone to a local alterations tailor for sleeves, hems, waist tweaks etc.

KOz

Reaction score
Classic tailoring with natural materials within £400 is a bit unrealistic (at least in the UK). Even Natalino's on discount would total around £400.

EDIT: Just remembered - try Suitsupply.

Last edited:

Theodore768

Reaction score
For budget-friendly bespoke tailoring in the UK, consider several strategies to get the most value for your money. Firstly, research local tailors known for quality craftsmanship at reasonable prices. Opt for fabrics that balance affordability with durability, such as wool blends or polyester mixes. Keep designs simple to minimize labor costs while still achieving a polished look. Additionally, inquire about any ongoing promotions or discounts offered by tailoring shops. Collaborate closely with your tailor to ensure your measurements are accurate and alterations are minimal, reducing additional expenses. Lastly, don't underestimate the power of thrift and vintage stores for finding high-quality garments that can be tailored to fit you perfectly, often at a fraction of the cost of new bespoke pieces. With a bit of savvy shopping and strategic planning, you can achieve a tailored wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads