• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FOOTBALL • VOETBAL • FÚTBOL • CALCIO • FUTEBOL - 2013-2014 THREAD

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hull! And Liverpool controls its destiny :wow: good match yesterday. Hoping for Juve slip up this afternoon at the Friuli

Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Up the Hammers!

This fixture was my first exposure to English football! Family was visiting London in the early 70's. My dad got tickets and off we went to Highbury! :wow: Quite an experience for a young American whose exposure to English football were stories from teammates who had been at ASL, and an always tardy subscription to Shoot

For the Gunners -Bob Wilson in goal, Alan Ball, Liam Brady, Charlie George, Pat Rice, Sammy Nelson, etc.

For the Hammers I remember Mervyn Day was in goal, w/ Billy Bonds, Grahm Paddon, Trevor Brooking, Frank Lampard, Clyde Best...

Don't remember the outcome, but a fantastic atmosphere! :slayer:

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This fixture was my first exposure to English football! Family was visiting London in the early 70's. My dad got tickets and off we went to Highbury! :wow: Quite an experience for a young American whose exposure to English football were stories from teammates who had been at ASL, and an always tardy subscription to Shoot

For the Gunners -Bob Wilson in goal, Alan Ball, Liam Brady, Charlie George, Pat Rice, Sammy Nelson, etc.

For the Hammers I remember Mervyn Day was in goal, w/ Billy Bonds, Grahm Paddon, Trevor Brooking, Frank Lampard, Clyde Best...

Don't remember the outcome, but a fantastic atmosphere! :slayer:

Fantastic! I'm a Derby fan and the early 70's was our great era. Charlie was my hero, he came to Derby and lit up the Baseball ground. In particular his hat-trick against RM. I was there that night and will never forget the atmosphere.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I was lucky as my Dad was the Maintenance Manager of the ground so I got the inside track on everything spending time inside changing rooms etc. I still have a pair of Charlie's ankle guards somewhere he gave me.

I play golf nowadays and play with lots of that Derby team and others at our Club.

Might you recall some of these?

Roy McFarland, Colin Todd, Rod Thomas, Gerry Daly, Billy Hughes, Henry Newton. Regular visitors are Billy's mates from the Sunderland FA Cup winning team Montgomery, Tueart, et al.

It's great going over the old times, especially the atmosphere at the old grounds, the new ones are concrete jungles with no soul IMO

Happy days!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great stuff Cleav! What an experience for a young boy. I remember Gerry Daly from my Shoot 'pin-ups', but seem to recall him being w/ Utd back then. Bruce Rioch (the Englishman who captained Scotland!) & Franny Lee are the Derby names that stick out in my mind, and of course the name of their stadium - the Baseball Ground! Always liked the B/W kit....

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, Gerry came later as part of the decline. Ironic really how it happened. He fell out with Tommy Docherty at United and they sold him to derby for £300,000, he hated the Doc and was happy to get out. Three months later Derby sacked their boss and installed The Doc as manager! You couldn't write it!

Franny gets to come down a few times a year, he's big mates with Rod Thomas. I was there the time when he and Norman Hunter exchanged punches Derby v Leeds. What most people don't realise is that it kicked off in the tunnel off camera and pushing and shoving in the Player's Bar later too. Happy days indeed.

1973 saw Derby cheated out of the European Cup by Juve, or so they say...

Gunners 1 v 1 Hammers

Kallstrom is so poor it is beyond belief

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jabonator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Market has Barca as the favorite, which is surprising to me, even though Real doesn't have Ronaldo. Still, we're injury-ridden at the back, and haven't been performing well lately.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Market has Barca as the favorite, which is surprising to me, even though Real doesn't have Ronaldo. Still, we're injury-ridden at the back, and haven't been performing well lately.

I got Barca 7/5

Draw 13/5

RM 7/4

No fun bet there!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping that Barça's lack of defense outweighs RM's lack of Ronaldo. Given how Madrid have performed over the season, I'm not too worried, but their choke-job in Dortmund was rather alarming. Bale normally steps up when CR7 is gone.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All down to Bale?

RM to win, more than 4 goals in the game!

Bale and DiMaria are RM's difference makers. Messi is Barça's. Fortunately, Messi is out of form at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads