• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AMERICAN TRENCH - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Styleforum!

I'm Jacob Hurwitz, long time Styleforum member and cofounder of American Trench, a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand. We make all of our products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. Our original product, launched in 2013, was a trench coat in Ventile, thus the name American Trench. We also launched with a small sock collection that quickly gained traction and led to more accessories, knit caps, ball caps, bucket hats, gloves and scarves. As a long time SF member, I'm excited to finally bring the brand to SF in a more formal way. SF members love to get into the details and this a great way for us to share, collaborate, and explore various aspects of what we are doing. I'm particularly excited to share photos of factory visits, product samples, and other deep dive content (like supply chain) that doesn't see much light beyond our company dropbox account.

With gratitude,
Jacob @americantrench

view from one of our partner sock factories in Hickory, North Carolina
h mills.jpg

SocialSculptures

Reaction score
Welcome - I love your products! I stock up every time you do a sample sale at Franklin and Poe.

A.T. Hamlin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
SF / AT Thread - I'm Brian, been a part of A.T. for about a year and a half. I write and work with our creative team to make ~cool~ assets. My background is in creative writing so if you ever read some of our copy and think it's a little too J. Peterman-y, send me your critiques. One time I wrote copy for a bomber jacket and used the phrase "ready to fly."

Oof.

But that was then and this is now.

A.T. Hamlin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
SF / AT Thread - I'm Brian, been a part of A.T. for about a year and a half. I write and work with our creative team to make ~cool~ assets. My background is in creative writing so if you ever read some of our copy and think it's a little too J. Peterman-y, send me your critiques. One time I wrote copy for a bomber jacket and used the phrase "ready to fly."

Oof.

But that was then and this is now.

While I'm here - let's talk AT SS22.

Okay. Cotton-Linen Shorts have been a hit. So have cotton-linen tees. Fabric imported from Japan but cut and sewn at NeoTex in Los Angeles.
cotton-linen-SF-line.jpg

We made ball caps and bucket hats in cornflower blue chambray that also make a splash.

chambray-line-SF.jpg

If you're looking to be a little loud, check out the floral set as well. 100% Cotton. Again, fabric imported from Japan/ C+S in LA. I'm especially keen on the bucket hat.

Tijmen-31_webhi.jpg

You can check out the full collection here. We also shot a pretty baller video (nice brag) on location at Taddeo's Greenhouse in Havertown, PA. You can watch the video here.

Feel free to DM me in SF/email me at [email protected] with any questions/comments.

Last edited:

kylepw

Reaction score
I have a cotton/linen bucket hat in olive by AT I picked up at a pop-up in Philly. Very nice shape/color/texture. Not as deep as other bucket hats I've handled, which I like.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a customer since 2016. Started off with a ventile raincoat (which I wore today), then a few orders of socks, then a ventile cap, and then a striped t-shirt.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been a customer since 2016. Started off with a ventile raincoat (which I wore today), then a few orders of socks, then a ventile cap, and then a striped t-shirt.

Thanks for your support! It's a good weekend for Ventile here in Philadelphia, it's been raining buckets for 3 days straight.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
One of the things that was most exciting to me about starting our affiliate thread on SF is the ability to share some of our behind the scenes journeys. On Friday May 6th, along with two members of my team, we traveled to Scranton, PA, about 2 hours north of Philadelphia to visit MTL weavers. I've been a lot of factories in the USA in various states, and MTL might be one of the more singular eye opening experiences. MTL defies pretty much every stereotype about US factories. It's not a dirty heritage factory that's been around for a hundred years, limping along with ancient equipment that now is suddenly considered "heirloom." It may be the only weaving mill in the USA that exports upholstery fabric to the EU.

The factory was clean, modern, full of new and custom equipment and totally mind blowing. MTL specializes in jacquard weaving. Most of their fabrics go to the furniture industry, but they also weave blankets and some apparel fabrics. The factory was started in 1988 when the founder Michael Hillebrand say an opportunity to weave technical fabrics needed in military and medical applications, specifically on jacquard looms. A different opportunity quickly emerged to weave high-end custom fabrics for the upholstery, home goods, and apparel industry.

They have 90 looms, and almost 100 people working there, 3 shifts a day. They run 24x7. One of the craziest things they make is super high-end velvet, which is purchased from them and sold by some of the most coveted luxury brands in the world from France and Italy. A lot of USA factories I visit have survived by being niche but not necessarily by having the latest equipment or the best practices. Some factories are so antiquated their methods of manufacture have now become "heritage", a kind of accidental title, but not an intended one. Not so with this place. MTL is operating at the highest level for the kind of product they make and they exhibit their wares in Italy at the furniture trade shows. The factory had some incredible custom machines made in Germany, Japan, and Italy that was all custom made for them. What left an impression on me was the level of craft and expertise, which felt on the same level as some of the best makers from Italy and Japan. You could tell, these people knew their ****. Perfection in the product is the expectation, and you can see it at each step and with every worker. Everyone there is aware that they are the best in the world at what they do and there is no room for anything less. It was awe-inspiring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads