• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 College Football Thread

?

• F

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • L

• O

• R

• I

• D

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A!

• S

• T

• A

• T

• E!

• FLORIDA STATE!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • FLORIDA STATE!

• FLORIDA STATE!

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LET'S

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • GO

• PANTHERS!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No one else is sad at the implosion of the Big 12? I like the regional rivalries. :(

I do, actually, but Texas took advantage of a situation that is unfair in a purist's sense but is par for how college football has been and becoming more dominated with. Because of that, the rest of the conference schools need to act quickly to maintain the strength of their position and not just become a ***** of Texas.

That being said, the most exciting prospect is Texas becoming a Pac-whatever team and I get to see them play at least once a year in person.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The conferences control the TV contracts already... that's a big part of it. Also why ND won't join a conference and why the Big 10 and SEC are attracting new teams (they each have a dedicated network plus a major TV deal w/ ABC and CBS, respectively). As far as I know, the bowl bids are owned by the TV networks and apportioned to the conferences with the TV deals. That's also why each team in a conference gets a portion of the money when one team makes a BCS bowl.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The money is ruining college football. Say what you will, but the sport used to have a sense of history and integrity. Now it's all a bunch of jerks chasing big bucks.

The Texas OU rivalry is a big deal to North Texas and is older by far than all this BCS nonsense. Now they are acting like breaking it up because UT wants to run a tv network that nobody watches.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they'll break that up regardless of what conference OU sits in. UF and FSU manage to play a rivalry game every year, despite being in different conferences.

That said, the money comes with good and bad. It's nice to be able to watch more than one college football game per Saturday.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think they'll break that up regardless of what conference OU sits in. UF and FSU manage to play a rivalry game every year, despite being in different conferences.

That said, the money comes with good and bad. It's nice to be able to watch more than one college football game per Saturday.

I'd hope not. There's been some talk about it but I'm hoping it's idle chatter.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what i don't get is why don't these schools form their own conference rather than trying to join another? I mean if you have UT, OU, BYU Arkansas, + a few other "legit" football schools, surely a BCS berth would come with that...

I want a Texas conference. UT, Tech, A and M, TCU. You've got 4 solid teams there. Add in the scrubs like Rice, Houston, SMU and you've got a conference that, at worst, is better than the ACC or Big East.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

IIRC though. FSU UF is mandated by law.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I want a Texas conference. UT, Tech, A and M, TCU. You've got 4 solid teams there. Add in the scrubs like Rice, Houston, SMU and you've got a conference that, at worst, is better than the ACC or Big East.

That was the old Southwest Conference, at least from '71 up to '96.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Texas won't go to the Pac 12 because the Pac 12 won't allow their Longhorn Network. It seems like these are the two most likely scenarios:

1) Nothing major happens. A&M leaves or stays, and BYU takes their place.

2) Everything breaks up:

-Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to Pac 12, UT/OU rivalry is preserved out of conference (This seems ideal for both, because they won't have to play each other in the de facto conference title game during mid-season, which means both schools will have an easier time getting BCS births in the same season).

-A&M to SEC

-Kansas and Missouri to Big East (BE is desperate for football programs because the BIG10 could still poach Pitt/Rutgers)

-Kansas State and Iowa State to either Big East or Mountain West (depends on Kansas Board of Regents and whether they tie K-State to Kansas)

-Texas tries to go to the ACC and tries to bring along Texas Tech and Notre Dame, (because the ACC is the only stable conference which is okay with the Longhorn Network.)

- I don't see the SEC or Big 10 getting involved with any Big 12 schools besides A&M, although Missouri to the SEC would be the next most likely.

-No conference would want to take Missouri without Kansas or vice versa, because their major appeal is that rivalry and I don't see the SEC taking on three schools, or the Big 10 taking on two schools in the western part of their geographic base. So they'll mostly likely follow each other to the Big East. They could potentially follow the Oklahoma schools to the Pac 12, but that's almost an absurd amount of geographic reach, and neither are good enough academically or in football to justify it.

-If the SEC falls through for A&M, they're kinda fucked. The Pac 12 won't touch them and the only reason the PAC 12 wanted Texas Tech was because it came packaged with Texas, which isn't happening.

-And Baylor. LOLZ. Sucks to be them.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Texas won't go to the Pac 12 because the Pac 12 won't allow their Longhorn Network. It seems like these are the two most likely scenarios:

1) Nothing major happens. A&M leaves or stays, and BYU takes their place.

2) Everything breaks up:

-Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to Pac 12, UT/OU rivalry is preserved out of conference (This seems ideal for both, because they won't have to play each other in the de facto conference title game during mid-season, which means both schools will have an easier time getting BCS births in the same season).

-A&M to SEC

-Kansas and Missouri to Big East (BE is desperate for football programs because the BIG10 could still poach Pitt/Rutgers)

-Kansas State and Iowa State to either Big East or Mountain West (depends on Kansas Board of Regents and whether they tie K-State to Kansas)

-Texas tries to go to the ACC and tries to bring along Texas Tech and Notre Dame, (because the ACC is the only stable conference which is okay with the Longhorn Network.)

- I don't see the SEC or Big 10 getting involved with any Big 12 schools besides A&M, although Missouri to the SEC would be the next most likely.

-No conference would want to take Missouri without Kansas or vice versa, because their major appeal is that rivalry and I don't see the SEC taking on three schools, or the Big 10 taking on two schools in the western part of their geographic base. So they'll mostly likely follow each other to the Big East. They could potentially follow the Oklahoma schools to the Pac 12, but that's almost an absurd amount of geographic reach, and neither are good enough academically or in football to justify it.

-If the SEC falls through for A&M, they're kinda fucked. The Pac 12 won't touch them and the only reason the PAC 12 wanted Texas Tech was because it came packaged with Texas, which isn't happening.

-And Baylor. LOLZ. Sucks to be them.

Ahhh, yes, interesting breakdown and I haven't considered the gilded cage Texas might have created with the Longhorn Network. I couldn't imagine them going to the ACC just for the sake of keeping the network.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Texas beats ******* Rice and moves into the top 25. I have no idea how good Texas is this year and might never find out if I don't figure out who will go through the trouble of getting the Longhorn Network.

LHN sucks ass.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOO PIG SOOOIEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads