• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
No experience, but I love it! Is this new? Very retro looking.
It's a reissue of the early 60's watches designed by Max Bill, an artist. This one has a ETA/VJ 7750 inside. There's also a non-chrono version. Edit: oops. didn't see speedster's response.

sammy

Reaction score
What do you all think of this Bregeut (Ref 5907, Manual Movement, 34mm)?.
I'm considering pulling the trigger on this one, except I would get it in rose gold with a brown strap. I really like the reserve indicator on the back. Anyone own this model or can comment on its movement?:
01571B53-D550-BF7D-538A874E8E5C88E5.jpg

01572301-0A03-122F-6F256992E4599C7C.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I really like Breguet. I own a Type XX; but, do plan to purchase a classic model.

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
Whats the consensus on JLCs Reverso Classique watch? Never considered JLC as a serious watch as its reversible feature seemed a bit gimmicky to me. But my AD said that its a great watch for the money and tends to be under appreciated by the market. He also told me that JLC makes all their movements in-house.

I am buying a used Reverso Classique in 2 weeks (the seller is on vacation). Always wanted one... They are very nice watches in my eyes and the size is just "right" for my wrist. JLC makes their own movements I think and they even started out as a manufacturer of movements for Patek etc. a century ago.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
Whats the consensus on JLCs Reverso Classique watch? Never considered JLC as a serious watch as its reversible feature seemed a bit gimmicky to me. But my AD said that its a great watch for the money and tends to be under appreciated by the market. He also told me that JLC makes all their movements in-house.

Beautiful watch, one of my two favs, along with the Lange 1.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Good spot...I do indeed have small wrists. 6.5" in fact. My wife likes to tease me about this.

The Sinn 556's case is 38.5 mm in diameter. This is about as big as I'd like to go. I think 39 max. I don't feel comfortable with the mega huge watch phenomenon that is going on right now. The Sinn feels just right.

About the same size as mine! However, just the other day I tried on a 39mm IWC Pilot Mark 16. Looked all right!

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for this watch for years....still haven't found it. Does anyone here own a rattrapante? It'd be a nice complication to have.
jlc_image.337502.jpg
There's also another Girard rattrapante that I've been looking at for the last 2 years, Ref. 90140.0.11.1111 I'd appreciate any info or owner's opinion on this watch. It's a couple of watches down. http://www.ikada.de/ratt-pic-1.htm

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee lin
what watch would look great on a black/navy solid bond/ nato strap? i remember seeing a pic of a 1960's rolex sub in the dream watch thread that looked amazing. is there anything else that can look equally good? i was thinking sinn but the u series are huge.

Enjoy:

Rolex SS GMT Master IIc
L1020571.jpg

L1020577.jpg

L1020597.jpg

L1020655.jpg

Rolex SS GMT Master II
L1020666.jpg

L1020695.jpg

L1020670.jpg

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's a question: I've gotten the impression that Stowa is a lower-priced watchmaker held in high regard. True or false?

Also, if this is the case, what other brands are categorized like this?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't go by the opinions on TZ. For me, here are a few great lower-priced makers that I hold in high esteem: 1. Breitling 2. Universal Geneve 3. Ernest Borel 4. Tutima 5. Omega 6. Movado 7. Epos 8. Baume Mercier 9. Tissot 10.Concord 11. Zenith 12. Rolex 13.Hamilton 14.Oris 15.Longines 16.....the list goes on forever.....
Originally Posted by breakz
So here's a question: I've gotten the impression that Stowa is a lower-priced watchmaker held in high regard. True or false? Also, if this is the case, what other brands are categorized like this?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for the best bang under 500 dollars:

1. Jean Marcel
2. Ernest Borel
3. Movado Kingmatic Series( 1881 series, which employs modified ETA movements; huge discounts can be had)
There are certainly a lot more but you can PM me if you have questions.
Originally Posted by breakz
Thanks for the list, Coho.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl
I am buying a used Reverso Classique in 2 weeks (the seller is on vacation). Always wanted one... They are very nice watches in my eyes and the size is just "right" for my wrist. JLC makes their own movements I think and they even started out as a manufacturer of movements for Patek etc. a century ago.
I've got a Reverso Duo - I love it, but I've found that I mostly wear it on the white-faced side instead of the black-faced side with the smaller dial and the "day night" indicator.

It is a great watch. Very high quality - the reverso mechanism is gapless and smooth as silk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics