• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
hmm... okay... but would you really shoot ~300 $ at that?

By "first nice shoes" I didn't mean that I don't own any dress shoes - I do. They just aren't by brands known in this forum (or at least no one admits it
wink.gif
) and I have vastly different sizes in them - ranging from 9 1/2 to 10 1/2. I probably could just order a 10, but I'd like to take my narrow feet into account, a luxury I wasn't granted in my pre-SF shoe life...

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

If I remember right, there were some complex comparisons/calculations to figure out your RMW size based on a slew of other shoe brands located in the first few pages of this thread. Very useful!

Perhaps you can get somewhere to try on a shoe that is than mapped to a RMW size?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
Perhaps you can get somewhere to try on a shoe that is than mapped to a RMW size?

I'd suggest that, also...

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I'd suggest that, also...

Yeah, I guess that's the only way... now I only have to walk into a high-end store where they won't take me seriously at 20 anyway and then say: 'no, I don't want to buy anything actually, just put my stinky feet into some of your shoes if you don't mind."

Mr. Spike

Reaction score
Sand, inside the RM Williams catalog (email 'em and ask for one) you will find a boot chart form on which you can trace your foot and give various measurements. Send it back, they will tell you what size will fit your foot.

I've seen many calculations on this forum of how to figure out one's size in RM Williams boots, but little discussion of this option.

Tom Bell-Drier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Spike
Sand, inside the RM Williams catalog (email 'em and ask for one) you will find a boot chart form on which you can trace your foot and give various measurements. Send it back, they will tell you what size will fit your foot.

I've seen many calculations on this forum of how to figure out one's size in RM Williams boots, but little discussion of this option.

Well done Mr. Spike , the mans a genius.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sand, inside the RM Williams catalog (email 'em and ask for one) you will find a boot chart form on which you can trace your foot and give various measurements. Send it back, they will tell you what size will fit your foot. I've seen many calculations on this forum of how to figure out one's size in RM Williams boots, but little discussion of this option.
Wow, that sounds like a great idea, I didn't hope for such a good one anymore. Has anyone else experience with this kind of determining your size?

emptym

Reaction score
I visited the RMW store in Manhattan the other day and tried on two boots, the wentworth and the comfort turnout. AFAIK the comfort turnout is the replacement for the wentworth with the one change being a cushy, synthetic insole rather than a leather one.

Additionally, there were two important differences between the two pairs I tried. First, the comfort turnout was a bit more snug, probably because of the thicker insole, which I'm guessing will compress to some extent over time. Second, the leather quality of the comfort turnout was much better than the wentworth--tighter grain and far less prone to wrinkling. Both were the yearling leather.

I was wondering if this difference in leather is common to these models or if there's a large difference among individual RMW boots of all types. Anyone know? Makes me hesitant to buy something online...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
Wow, that sounds like a great idea, I didn't hope for such a good one anymore.

Has anyone else experience with this kind of determining your size?

I have never seen a catalogue so I never knew this was even an option.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... has anyone ever tried to contact them? I sent a mail to [email protected] three days ago and they haven't answered yet.
Or - has anyone ever tried to request a catalog from them? Do they just don't answer the mail but send a catalog?

Mr. Spike

Reaction score
Sand, I haven't found them to be all that prompt in responding to emails, but I have eventually received answers to specific questions. Not sure a catalog request needs an answer, they might just send it. Takes a while.

If you want to email an individual, I have received helpful responses from Rebekka Stubing in Customer Service, and Deb Howson in MTO Customer Service. Company email addresses are the person's first initial and last name (with no punctuation) at rmwilliams.com.au.

The RM Williams catalog is very slick and exhaustive, by the way, in contrast to the web site.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sand, I haven't found them to be all that prompt in responding to emails, but I have eventually received answers to specific questions. Not sure a catalog request needs an answer, they might just send it. Takes a while.

If you want to email an individual, I have received helpful responses from Rebekka Stubing in Customer Service, and Deb Howson in MTO Customer Service. Company email addresses are the person's first initial and last name (with no punctuation) at rmwilliams.com.au.

The RM Williams catalog is very slick and exhaustive, by the way, in contrast to the web site.

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess I'll just wait a certain period of time, then contact one (or both) of the above mentioned persons, if I don't get a catalog. Does anyone know how long it'd take to be shipped to Germany?

tonup277

Reaction score
has anyone ordered the Forum Special from nungar within the past few months?
i'm looking for pricing and timing info. feel free to PM me.

the configuration Sator has modeled is really nice - veal calf, brass screw sole, sleekest last, very close sole lip, flat heel.
hoping to get one in tan. will have to drop by the NY shop for sizing.

tonup277

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Well, even though no-one asked for them.....
smile.gif
I ended up returning the Gammon as they were too wide. I swapped them for the Yard boot as I preferred the fit when I really tried them both on. So I had two pairs and was happy. Then on my travels I saw a pair of special order Yearling boots. I like the shape of the Yearling but not the block heels but these have the flat heel, and they are in Whiskey, which I love. The last pic shows the different shapes of the toes - the chisel toe of the Craftsman, the "Narrow" toe (as they call it) of the Yearling, and the round toe of the Yard boots. I must say the narrow toe on the Yearling with the leather sole makes them very sleek. I love them! Yard boot
RM-Yard.jpg
Yearling Craftsman
RM-Craftsman.jpg
Yearling MTO
RM-Whiskey.jpg
All three together for comparison
RM-three.jpg

are these Yearling MTOs the same last used on the Forum Special? other than the difference of veal calf and brass screwed sole, i'm assuming there's no other difference in the shape and construction. i can't tell if i like the fact that the Special's lip is set so closely inward. the standard Yearling's lip seems just the right amount. btw, nice shoe!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads