RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

2. Mugnut

Mugnut Member

Yes, I do.

I was a little worried that they would too closely duplicate the role that my Blundstone's already fill, but pleased to see that this a more refined expression of the Australian gusset-sided work boot. Ideal to wear with cords and a sweater to work on a frigid New England day.

3. Sator

Sator Senior member

I went with 8G Australian, utilizing the quick and dirty "drop one full size from AUS to US." Much has been made of the width of the RMW - but I will add this: these boots, worn with thinnish dress socks in width "G" do not feel in the slightest bit wide. If anything, they feel pretty narrow. The Blundstones are significantly wider, and were from the get-go.

Fair enough if you compare RMWs to Blundstones. But an RMW G is a bit wider than an Allen Edmonds D width, especially when you use the AE Nr 5 last as a yardstick for comparison. Ditto for the AE Nr 4 and 8 last. It all depends on the maker and the last you use for comparison.

4. Mugnut

Mugnut Member

You're correct Sator - and the 8G basically fits snugly as I would expect a new size 9D US dress shoe to - though to me it does not feel wider than a "D" width.

The data I wanted to add to the mix is for those who are looking at the Yard Boot (or Gammon) as a work boot, frequently meaning heavier socks etc. etc. Those people likely have Blundstones in mind when considering the Yard boot - because as first blush they seem relatively similar.

My experience is that a Blundstone 500 will fit and wear "bigger" than the same sized RMW Yard boot, or you could say that the RMW will wear "smaller" than the same-sized Blunnie.

As I said, I wear a US 9D in most normal dress shoes (incl. AE Park Aves.) and I find the RMW to be a nice snug fit for me in 8G. Assuming that the sizing holds up across the line (at least for the most part) I will be ordering 8G again when I get some Craftsman (sometime soon I hope).

5. fabius

fabius Member

I've just bought a pair of RMW Comfort Craftsmans but am unsure if I have the right size... maybe you guys can help?

I first bought a pair in 11G but when I got them home they seemed a bit short - the end of my right big toe (usually my shortest foot) was close to the end of the boot, and it felt very snug on the side of my big toe and around the little toe.

So today I took them back. The shop doesn't stock half-sizes, so I got a pair of 12G, as they seemed OK. But now I'm home... they feel OK length-wise, but are baggy around the middle - I can pinch the spare leather around the instep.

Having read here that they should be a snug fit, I'm unsure what to do. Maybe the 11 will be OK once worn in (I'm not used to boots, so it's hard for me to be sure)? Maybe I should ask them to order an 11.5G?

If it helps, my only other pair of decent shoes is a C&J Onslow (Last 325) in 11E, which seem OK. Many thanks.

6. Mugnut

Mugnut Member

How're the whiskey-owners finding the wearability of the whiskey color? Having settled down with yard boots some comfort craftsman are up next and I am teetering between dark tan, whiskey, or maybe a Vesta MTO. Whiskey is the most alluring but perhaps least wearable color for me - dark tan is perhaps the most sensible. Vesta is just kinda cool seeming.

As an aside, my wife was so smitten with my Yard boots that she just ordered an MTO pair of turnouts for herself (and kids blunnies for my 5 y.o.) Best of all, she told me "now I see why you said you need more than one pair of these . . . " Sounds like a green light special to me.

Big thanks to Sator and this thread for the warehouse's worth of useful information.[​IMG]

7. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

I just got a pair of whiskey and they are hugely wearable to me. They look awesome with jeans. They look terrific with slim gray wool trousers with no break and big cuffs. I've had more compliments on these than any other shoe I've worn yet.

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the B529, B530, or B531 lasts?

The Alden Barrie last, which has a narrow heel and wide toes, is a good fit for me; I'd like a roo boot in a shape like I would get in an Alden Barrie last chukka.

I'm a 10E, snug in the toes, in the AE Macneil. The OP suggests that AE size 10E = RMW size 9H. I would not drop down a width for roo since there is no looseness in that AE fit.

Two questions:
    1. Should I drop down a width for one of the wide-toe lasts in 'roo?

2. Are the heels the same size on the B529, B530, and B531 lasts, or are they progressively wider not just in the toes but also in the heel?

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

How're the whiskey-owners finding the wearability of the whiskey color? Having settled down with yard boots some comfort craftsman are up next and I am teetering between dark tan, whiskey, or maybe a Vesta MTO. Whiskey is the most alluring but perhaps least wearable color for me - dark tan is perhaps the most sensible. Vesta is just kinda cool seeming.

I love them and find them wearable. But a chick in my office recently looked down at them and said, "Those are a little light for a suit, no? Maybe with jeans, but..."

FWTW.

10. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I think I'm going to take the plunge for Kangeroo Craftsman (not the F/S).

The only thing holding me back now is fitting issues.
    I don't think I have access to any store with RM Williams.

I do have a pair of PA's @ 8 EEE that are a little long (I'm probably really a 7.5) but the width is right (4 inches).

I'm thinking, following the conversion chart on the OP (g'bless Sator)

PA - 8 EEE (US)
    Forum Special - 8F (AUS)
    Craftsman - 7H (AUS)

I want a snug fit - is this the right conversion?

Another thing, is this still the best site to order (for Canadians)?
    http://www.nungar.com.au/shop/descri...206.116.54.153

Shipping is aprox. $30?

11. Mugnut

Mugnut Member

A final fit point based on my experience with the yard boots: arch height may be one of the big- x-factors in achieving the right fit. I have very high arches, which might account for why a G width feels snug, even though I am a "D" width in US shoes.

Shoes, unlike chelsea boots, account for arch height through lacing (given my arches, I have always found open-laced oxfords more comfortable than closed laced shoes, for example). With wholecut boots, only streching of the top line and overall stretching in width can account for increased foot volume due to high arches. Thus, a flat footed US D-width foot may well find an RMW G-width too wide, where a high-arched "D" width like me could find that width snug . . .

12. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

A final fit point based on my experience with the yard boots: arch height may be one of the big- x-factors in achieving the right fit. I have very high arches, which might account for why a G width feels snug, even though I am a "D" width in US shoes.

Shoes, unlike chelsea boots, account for arch height through lacing (given my arches, I have always found open-laced oxfords more comfortable than closed laced shoes, for example). With wholecut boots, only streching of the top line and overall stretching in width can account for increased foot volume due to high arches. Thus, a flat footed US D-width foot may well find an RMW G-width too wide, where a high-arched "D" width like me could find that width snug . . .

Awesome info, Mugnut. Thanks for the information.

13. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

Im not that into the whiskey myself. I feel they are an odd color. cant put my finger on it but its almost like i feel they are loud and shouting.

Id go with the regular brown myself.

14. shawndo

shawndo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I read through this whole freakin' thread! Sator, you are a gentleman and a scholar! I don't understand how you have the endurance to keep up with this thread after all this time!

On to business.....

I went to the NYC store today and tried on the craftsman. The 8.5G fit me snug all around. I vaguely remembered something about going up 1 and down a width, and I found the 9F fit me as well. This was snug only on the widest part of my foot, and if I had bought them today, I would have bought those.

So now Im back and I reread the thread and the +1length and -1 width was supposed to be for the B529 last. Question is, which size should I use as the starting point?

I'm looking to get a whiskey B529 on a composite sole. With the "comfort" padding, if possible.

Also, is there a chisel last as sleek as the B529 that I missed in the thread?

15. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I've been on the fence about these for a long time,
    since I'm concerned about the support they give while walking all day.

How do people find them when spending several hours at a museum, or touring a city, etc?