• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Thats my favorite of your watches you've posted. Very nice.
Thanks
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
GDL, are all those Panerais on OEM straps? They look very great.
The last two pictured are on OEM straps, although not the straps they came with out of the box. The Radiomir Base comes on a black calf strap.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Gdl, did you swap out the original black hands for gold ones?
Yes and no. I didn't swap them with another set of hands - I had the original hands stripped of the black paint and plated with 18k gold

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
^^^ Nice dial! Quite similar actually...

On the wrist today:

WAYWT_20nov_4.jpg

Great mix of textures. This pic shows the difference between how 99.9% of large watches are worn and how they are worn well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes and no. I didn't swap them with another set of hands - I had the original hands stripped of the black paint and plated with 18k gold

Is there a reason why you went that route instead of just getting another set?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is there a reason why you went that route instead of just getting another set?

Yes - I wanted it to be permanent. When the 210 came out, I instantly saw it as my "poor man's" PAM21 so I bought one with the specific intention of plating the hands and swapping the band to a brown alligator.

Also, most hands sold on eBay and other sources are not really OEM - some of them are parts from fake Panerai and I hate the idea of giving a cent of my money to counterfeiters

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes - I wanted it to be permanent. When the 210 came out, I instantly saw it as my "poor man's" PAM21 so I bought one with the specific intention of plating the hands and swapping the band to a brown alligator.

Also, most hands sold on eBay and other sources are not really OEM - some of them are parts from fake Panerai and I hate the idea of giving a cent of my money to counterfeiters

Gotcha. Looks good--probably should have come that way from the factory, in my opinion.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Sorry I was too lazy to turn on another light so I used my monitor.
Longines vintage 14k gold Mystery Dial
myst.jpg

I've post the lightbox pics from when I bought it; but, never a wrist shot.
I typically only wear it when I wear Thom Browne or Black Fleece...but, I'm looking at the Glashutte Original Senator 60s or the IWC Portifino slim in rose gold that will most likely "replace" it.

kali77

Reaction score
Just started getting in to watches. Still learning and finding out exactly what I like. Here is one of my new purchases, A Laco 42mm Pilot manual wind with Unitas movement. I also have a few different straps on order to try out with it
smile.gif

IMG_1093.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
GDL...that cognac strap looks great, really compliments the gold hands. Have you ever posted a complete list of your collection? I would love to see a "collection" photo a la Aportnoy's shoe pics.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
GDL...that cognac strap looks great, really compliments the gold hands. Have you ever posted a complete list of your collection? I would love to see a "collection" photo a la Aportnoy's shoe pics.

I think I've been posting most of them in this thread (haven't posted the cheaper ones, like my Hamilton Khaki or a couple of vinatge ones or my Suuntos), especially in the first pages. But I haven't taken a family picture, yet. I will when aportnoy posts one of his entire shoe collection!
devil.gif
laugh.gif

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
Just started getting in to watches. Still learning and finding out exactly what I like. Here is one of my new purchases, A Laco 42mm Pilot manual wind with Unitas movement. I also have a few different straps on order to try out with it
smile.gif

IMG_1093.jpg

Looks very 'Luftwaffe'. Nice.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kali - the watch looks very nice. How does it feel on the wrist? It looks a little too large for your wrist, no?

kali77

Reaction score
kali - the watch looks very nice. How does it feel on the wrist? It looks a little too large for your wrist, no?

It is a little large for sure, but it is already really growing on me after just last night and today's wear time. I have small wrists at a whopping 6.75" size. Plus the angle of the pic and the positioning of my hand on the table is pushing the watch off center. Surprisingly it actually feels very comfortable though and I barely notice it. Where as the "SAR" which is a much heftier piece, I notice much more.

Edit: I really wish my wrists were a little larger, atleast 7.25" because most of the watches that I am attracted to are on the larger side.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
It is a little large for sure, but it is already really growing on me after just last night and today's wear time. I have small wrists at a whopping 6.75" size. Surprisingly it actually feels very comfortable though and I barely notice it. Where as the "SAR" which is a much heftier piece, I notice much more.

Very cool. Enjoy it! Laco was one of the original manufacturer of the B-Uhr so they have a real claim on the design and are not jumping on the Big Pilot bandwagon like a lot of other brands.
thumbs-up.gif

kali77

Reaction score
Very cool. Enjoy it! Laco was one of the original manufacturer of the B-Uhr so they have a real claim on the design and are not jumping on the Big Pilot bandwagon like a lot of other brands.
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks! The heritage was part of the allure that I liked about the Laco. I hope to keep it for a long time, kind of my fisrt step into another costly hobby
laugh.gif

By the way your Panerai looks stellar on that strap. I always enjoy your posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics