• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sosoma

Reaction score
Quick question--I searched the thread but didn't see much attention to sock choice. Do most use thin dress socks, or the cotton socks? I imagine you could do whichever you preferred, but providing you sized accordingly.

I wear a 11C AE Park Avenue, so was thinking about doing a 10E for the Comfort Craftsman per the sizing guide, but wasn't sure how to accomodate the thicker cotton socks I'd prefer to wear with the boots. Possibly a half size up to a 10.5 while keeping the same width, or maybe to an F width?

Great thread, thanks for the help.

Oh, and one note on their suitability for more formal attire -- had a meeting some time back with an Australian Minister of Transport, and noticed from across the room that he was wearing RM Williams boots.

sosoma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sosoma
Quick question--I searched the thread but didn't see much attention to sock choice. Do most use thin dress socks, or the cotton socks? I imagine you could do whichever you preferred, but providing you sized accordingly.

I wear a 11C AE Park Avenue, so was thinking about doing a 10E for the Comfort Craftsman per the sizing guide, but wasn't sure how to accomodate the thicker cotton socks I'd prefer to wear with the boots. Possibly a half size up to a 10.5 while keeping the same width, or maybe to an F width?

Great thread, thanks for the help.

Oh, and one note on their suitability for more formal attire -- had a meeting some time back with an Australian Minister of Transport, and noticed from across the room that he was wearing RM Williams boots.

Anyone still checking this thread? Buehler...Buehler?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone still checking this thread? Buehler...Buehler?

I'm not sure how to advise you size-wise, but I will say that my Craftsman have stretched a good bit with wear. They started out a bit too snug, so I used some stretching solution on them until they were comfortable. But today, several months later, I'm wearing fairly thick socks and they still feel fine.

sosoma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm not sure how to advise you size-wise, but I will say that my Craftsman have stretched a good bit with wear. They started out a bit too snug, so I used some stretching solution on them until they were comfortable. But today, several months later, I'm wearing fairly thick socks and they still feel fine.

thanks for the response. stretching solution?

I'm hopeful that the AE-based sizing charts on the front page will work out for me. I had originally gone with an even narrower version of the Park Avenue, but that was like a plaster mold of my feet - way too tight. The 11C is pretty comfortable, so whatever that converts into the Craftsman should work.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks for the response. stretching solution?

Yeah, it's a liquid you can buy that helps the leather stretch. You soak the tight area inside the shoe and use a shoe stretcher, or just wear the shoes around the house with extra-thick socks. It's really just a mixture of purified water and isopropyl alcohol, so you could mix up your own. But the premade stuff is pretty cheap on its own.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i'm normally an 8D in AE PA's...i'm thinking of ordering the jodhpur boot on the B529 last in their size 8E for a slimmer, more elegant toe...anyone have experience as to what this will cost? Steve hasn't responded to me in a few days, reckon he's busy with the ranch?

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I hate to throw more sizing data points into the mix and sow confusion and uncertainty, but I wear an 11.5EEE Park Avenue and have pretty much decided that I need an 11.5G RMW at least on the 543 last. I own Craftsmen in 11.5G and 11H, and both are a little cramped in the toe box for me. But I have weird feet and am probably an outlier.

I'm having the same problem with the carftsman narrow toe. I've tried on the 8G craftsman, which were a little too snug and short. 9Gs, which were nice tight fit but toe box was pinching my two leftmost toes, and 10G which were loose but still pinched my two leftmost toes so didn't end up buying. Does the toebox stretch at all with wear? From the hard feel of it I wouldn't guess it would.

Or as an alternative if anyone has both the forum special round toe last boot and the craftsman, does the round toe last widen sooner from the tip? The 10g already felt like it was large and loose enough that I wouldn't want to go another size up as per the forum special sizing guide so for me the special would be a 10e, as long as the toe box doesn't narrow too much along with the whole width when going from g to e.

atroopan

Reaction score
Try the Turnout - it solves the problem of the cramped toebox in the craftsmen. I bought the comfort turnout and it fits perfectly. I still like the craftsmen, but only for wearing for small periods of time not all day.

troop

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wewonit5times
Apologies if this is the wrong thing to do - I'm new to the forum - but I am selling a number of pairs of RM Williams boots in excellent condition as my feet seem to have expanded over the years. They're currently on ebay (link deleted)
but I will try and find how to post adverts on this forum

We have a buying and selling section for this.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
I'm having the same problem with the carftsman narrow toe. I've tried on the 8G craftsman, which were a little too snug and short. 9Gs, which were nice tight fit but toe box was pinching my two leftmost toes, and 10G which were loose but still pinched my two leftmost toes so didn't end up buying. Does the toebox stretch at all with wear? From the hard feel of it I wouldn't guess it would.

Or as an alternative if anyone has both the forum special round toe last boot and the craftsman, does the round toe last widen sooner from the tip? The 10g already felt like it was large and loose enough that I wouldn't want to go another size up as per the forum special sizing guide so for me the special would be a 10e, as long as the toe box doesn't narrow too much along with the whole width when going from g to e.

how a bout a 9.5?

laphroaig

Reaction score
Thanks atroopan, thats great to hear. It was only the outside toes where the shoe didn't fit so I'll give the turnout a try.

Originally Posted by kbuzz
how a bout a 9.5?

I gave it a thought but from what I've read in this thread a 9.5G would be the same as a 9H and the toes on my left (bigger) foot were uncomfortable even in a 10G so didn't bother. Not to mention the sales person was in a foul mood from the slight chaos in the DJs shoes department during the 30% sale and none of the RM's were discounted.

wewonit5times

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
We have a buying and selling section for this.

Yes - sorry I thought as I'd already put them on ebay given the number of posts and interest on this thread I might be actually helping members see something that may be of interest. As mine were being sold at minimal cost and I am re-ordering from the sites publicised on this thread in a bigger size I'm a little coinfused. Is it OK to lshow links to special deals/websites that sell new boots on this thread but not to highlight a link to nearly new boots ?
If so then I'll ask the mods to delete my post.
Happy to conform to a consistent process.
Got my first pair of RMW in 1989. Great boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads