• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlowdon

Reaction score
Greetings:

I own the Craftsman Yearling in chestnut and enjoy them very much. I'm considering purchasing the Stock Agent in black yearling with a flat heel. Does anyone have experience with this boot? Does the Stock Agent use the same last as the Yearling Craftsman? In other words, will the fit be the same? Seems to me this boot would look great with jeans and a sports coat.

Comments regarding soles, welting, leathers, etc all appreciated.

Many thanks, John

Carey

Reaction score
Today in Manhattan, I tried on the Craftsman Yearling in a 10.5 F. They were a great fit, but I really want the French Veal Calf, and they are not available any narrower than a G width. Would I drop to a 10 G? They didn't have that model for me to try and I prefer the Chisel toe to the rounded toe of the Turnout - which I tried in a 10G. The rounded toe was a bit too crowded for me.

I have read through Sator's guide several times, and I can't figure out the conversion from a Craftsamn Yearling to a Craftsman French Veal Calf. I measure an 11.5 C of a Brannock device.

Any sound advice is appreciated.

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yeah, it's a liquid you can buy that helps the leather stretch. You soak the tight area inside the shoe and use a shoe stretcher, or just wear the shoes around the house with extra-thick socks. It's really just a mixture of purified water and isopropyl alcohol, so you could mix up your own. But the premade stuff is pretty cheap on its own.

So would this work for the craftsmen toebox? I only want the toebox stretched a little so it doesn't rub against the outer toes and top of the toe too much. I like the look of the kangaroo craftsmen I got with the comfort soles, but the toebox is just a little too cramped for all day wear. I have tried pressure (yes squishing the toebox) , but don't know if this is bad or not. And obviously, the thinner the socks I wear the more comfortable around the toebox. I went to the extreme and wore it a couple hours with no socks even, and the toebox was great, but the ankle and above was way too loose.

Help appreciated,

troop

p.s. - I probably shoulda just gone with a turnout originally, but live and learn.

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
Thanks atroopan, thats great to hear. It was only the outside toes where the shoe didn't fit so I'll give the turnout a try.

Did you ever end up getting the turnout? Mine worked straight away. There is just more room in the toebox area in the turnout vs. the craftsmen and I guess I have narrow soles/middle, but semi-wide (normal) toes. I wonder how the forum special compares in the toebox area to either the turnout or craftsmen. It does look more like the turnout than the craftsmen, assuming you get the larger length and narrower size. Still pics can be deceiving. I hope it is larger in the toearea than the craftsmen though because it looks amazing with the lack of a prominent lip and I would love to order a pair in black.

troop

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
So would this work for the craftsmen toebox? I only want the toebox stretched a little so it doesn't rub against the outer toes and top of the toe too much.
This depends on where you need it stretched. For me, when I wear the Craftsman, my little toe is not inside of the stiffened toebox area. The reinforced toebox area will not stretch. If I remember correctly, there's a rubber-ish form placed in there. If your little toe is where mine is, then you could stretch it without any problems since it isn't inside the rubber-like form.

arossphoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blee017
I am already thinking about getting a second pair but I'm afraid that Seattle's wet winter will not be kind to leather soles.

Originally Posted by Sator
If you look carefully at one of the pages from the RMW catalogue I posted you will see a small picture hidden in the corner of a variant of the Craftsman with a non-slip composition sole called the Blaxland. The equivalent version of the Turnout is called the Wentworth.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of RMW's as well, but I'm also worried about leather soles in the Canadian winters. The Wentworths with the non-slip composition soles are the same price as the leather soled Turnouts, but would I be correct to assume the composition soles could not be resoled or repaired like a leather sole?

So I was thinking about getting the leather soled Turnouts and having Topys put on them. Any comments about this?

Thanks,

Andrew

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The rubber soles are welted on and have a stacked heel, just like the leather ones, so I see no reason why they couldn't be replaced as readily as the leather soles.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
I went to the store today and tried on an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoe in 9D and it fit me like a glove. No wiggle room, no nothing. A perfect fit. So would I order the forum specials in 9D or bump it up to 9E per the guide in the OP.

Don't they run a bit shorter than the Park Avenues?

kbuzz

Reaction score
was there ever any consensus as to an appropriate color polish for the rmw whiskey boots.

I have a tub of the sphair "beechnut" from rider/francos but not sure i want to experiment yet.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingTitle
I went to the store today and tried on an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoe in 9D and it fit me like a glove. No wiggle room, no nothing. A perfect fit. So would I order the forum specials in 9D or bump it up to 9E per the guide in the OP.

Don't they run a bit shorter than the Park Avenues?

Yes, a bit shorter.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Yes, a bit shorter.

So do you think I should keep it at 9D or bump it up to 9E, if the 9D was a perfect fit for the allen edmonds park avenues

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry; I'm the wrong person to ask.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
I've been through most pages of this thread but found no mention of the Simpson boot. Has anyone got information about or experience with them?

bruised_lee

Reaction score
My black Kangaroo Craftsman arrived from Nungar yesterday. They are GREAT - fit, leather, any everything. I want to thank everyone here for the education, and sharing their experiences. Thank you very VERY much.
smile.gif

atroopan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the comfort craftsmen 'feels' shorter than the regular craftsmen in the same size? I used the method of trying on RM Williams craftsmens at the Aussie Boot Company in Toronto, but my craftsmens in the comfort model just seem shorter for some reason? Also I tried on a G fitting and ordered the F fitting, but I didnt think this would decrease the length of the shoe.

So do the comfort craftsmen run shorter than regular craftsmens? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nato

ps. - my turnouts fit great, and I think I'm just not ment to wear craftsmens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads