• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
I think I might be a bit dense, but no matter how many times I read the OP I still can't figure out how to order the forum special lol.

If I am an Allen Edmonds 9D, and I want the "Relaxed fit" forumula for a bit more room, I order a 9E?

Can someone hold my hand through the process?

Froude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
Does anyone know if the comfort craftsmen 'feels' shorter than the regular craftsmen in the same size? I used the method of trying on RM Williams craftsmens at the Aussie Boot Company in Toronto, but my craftsmens in the comfort model just seem shorter for some reason? Also I tried on a G fitting and ordered the F fitting, but I didnt think this would decrease the length of the shoe.

So do the comfort craftsmen run shorter than regular craftsmens? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nato

ps. - my turnouts fit great, and I think I'm just not ment to wear craftsmens.

I have had many pairs of RMW over the last 16 years or so, in various styles, and I have come to the same conclusion. Craftsman do not fit me as well as the Turnout. Some of my friends will wear Craftsman only, while others wear Turnout only; and I have a theory - not based on fact mind you - just anecdotally.

It is my theory that the Craftsman "feel" shorter than the Turnout because they have a smaller toebox. The height of the toebox is the problem and if you have a larger than average big toe (I do) the Craftsman will appear shorter because your big toe runs out of room.

Now as to the question of Comfort vs Regular - I have no idea.

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froude
I have had many pairs of RMW over the last 16 years or so, in various styles, and I have come to the same conclusion. Craftsman do not fit me as well as the Turnout. Some of my friends will wear Craftsman only, while others wear Turnout only; and I have a theory - not based on fact mind you - just anecdotally.

It is my theory that the Craftsman "feel" shorter than the Turnout because they have a smaller toebox. The height of the toebox is the problem and if you have a larger than average big toe (I do) the Craftsman will appear shorter because your big toe runs out of room.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the turnout vs. craftsmen debate. The toes just run out of room quickly from the lower toebox on the craftsmen. Honestly I don't want to sell my pair of kangaroo comfort craftsmens, but I can only wear them for maybe three hours at a time with not much walking before they become 'uncomfortable'. It's not just the big toe that suffers from the cramped toebox, but also the 'ring toe' and middle toe to some extent. I don't know how I missed this when I tried on the craftsmen, but it is really only apparent after a some walking in them (not enough in the shop). There is just the feeling that the big toe is constantly banging into the front when walking (very bad when walking downhill for instance) and the ring toe and little toe just feel a cramped for space. I didn't notice it so much on the regular craftsmen which I tried on in the store, but it felt more so on the comfort craftsmen (which was also F versus G in the store btw). So only a round-toe model for me from now on, and I will for sure no be buying any pointy toe lasts on any shoes without first trying on somewhere, somehow - lesson learned !

troop

bootsnbraces

Reaction score
I've been wearing a pair of RMW Trail top-boots for about three years now, and they've been great. They look good, resist water really well, and they're very comfortable. I discovered more than a month ago while putting some saddle-dressing on that there's a very small hole in one boot. It's obviously been scratched by something, but these boots are made of oiled-kip leather and are made to put up with hard use; and they aren't old enough to need a resoling yet. Upon close investigation, I see that the leather is worn paper-thin where the hole has occurred. Maybe the boots aren't right for my feet (but they were recommended by Pat Macri of RMW after I submitted a foot-measurement chart to him); maybe the hide that these boots were made from was a bad one. I just need to hear Pat's opinion before I decide to send them back to Salisbury or have a local bootmaker do what he can. The problem is, that I can't seem to get a response from Pat: or anyone else from RMW. I've sent five or six emails about the matter to his address and to their enquiries address, and I haven't heard a peep.

I know that Pat is receiving my emails, because Steve (of Nungar) told me that he said he'd be answering me "shortly" about a month ago. On the subject of Steve, I ordered two pairs of boots from him about 10 weeks ago, and my wife is really enjoying her oiled-kip Yard boots. Unfortunately, the MTO X-fit oiled-kip Tambo boots I ordered with treaded soles (as per the Yard boots) came with composition soles: an error on the part of the factory, I assume; but now Steve hasn't been answering my emails for a week, so I don't know what to do about it.

The Canadian RMW retailer suggests to me that RMW is extremely backlogged, as it sometimes takes him a week to get an answer about something. I think it's time they expanded their customer-service department. In fact, I'm sure it is: I've been waiting nine months for an answer to a question I asked about the Buckle Boots!

timmo

Reaction score
So do the comfort craftsmen run shorter than regular craftsmens? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nato

I was advised by a saleman in an RMW store here in Melbourne this week that Comfort soles can be replaced with, say, leather brass screwed when they need to be. Which would mean they should be the same length.

Cheers,
tim

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
THat's true, but it's possible that the padding acts like an insert, reducing the volume inside the shoe and making it feel a little shorter. I don't know.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froude

Agreed. I bought a pair of both the Wentworth (Turnout with rubber sole) and Yearling (Craftsman with block heel) from Shoe Mart on Ebay. They were both the same size, but my toes were rubbing the toebox in the Yearling, while the Wentworth fit perfectly.

BTW, the heel on the Yearling was a little too Cowboy for me. I would have sent them back even if they fit.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Did you ever end up getting the turnout? Mine worked straight away. There is just more room in the toebox area in the turnout vs. the craftsmen and I guess I have narrow soles/middle, but semi-wide (normal) toes. I wonder how the forum special compares in the toebox area to either the turnout or craftsmen. It does look more like the turnout than the craftsmen, assuming you get the larger length and narrower size. Still pics can be deceiving. I hope it is larger in the toearea than the craftsmen though because it looks amazing with the lack of a prominent lip and I would love to order a pair in black.

troop

Thanks for your advice and thanks to Sartor for the special and sizing guide. As I mentioned I had some width issues with the craftsman toe box. I ordered the styleforum special in 10e chestnut based on trying the craftsman (9g nice and tight, good fit but outside toes rubbing) and they fit a lot better. Even when narrowed by 2 the round last provides more room for my toes than the wider craftsmen. I'll have to wear them a few times to see how comfortable they are in the toe area. They are hard to put on but take some real effort to take off.

Sorry about the late reply but the boots just arrived today. It's been 4 weeks so I almost forgot I ordered them. The boots look great and they are fairly sleek but I'm used to a toe box that isn't as high, althought the lack of lip is nice. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

atroopan

Reaction score
Let us know your experiences with the Forum Specials. I am anxious to find out how they will fit in comparison to the turnout (sounds like they will be very similar - considering they are both round-toe as opposed to narrow-toe craftsmen). I am eager to order a pair of forum specials in the black veal colour for sure. RM Williams boots definitely go well with all sorts of attire from jeans to business casual, but I haven't the guts to wear em with a suit just yet. Maybe the forum specials will change my mind, however.

troop

Carts

Reaction score
Hi,

I have owned RM's all my life. I have 5 pairs that I rotate so they last - I have two problems.

I no longer live in Australia I have been in the UK for several years. I usually order from bootsonline as Barry is very reliable - I will certainly look into Nungar so instore is not easy for me since the London store closed down.

I have always bought the Tambo orginally developed for men from PNG with wide feet as they come in width X. I buy these as 1. I have a wide foot and 2. I like wearing the holeproof 'Explorer' socks which are thick.

My issue is I want to branch out from the Tambo into different boot varieties but no other boot style comes in width X.

Can I get them in X or is this classified as a custom order, or should I consider an H with a thinner sock?

I hope someone on this forum knows as I will wear RM's till the day I die but some variety would be nice to..

Thanks in advance
Paul

Gavin

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just a few questions before I order my first pair:

With winter is on its way, I will need a pair that can withstand snow, slush, and salt. I assume that I'll need the rubber sole for that, but will it be waterproof or will I need the storm welt? And can I get that sole screwed or will it need to be welted?

Given those concerns, what combination would you recommend for a sleek look (in black) that's also winter-appropriate in Toronto?

Gav

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gavin
Hey everyone, just a few questions before I order my first pair: With winter is on its way, I will need a pair that can withstand snow, slush, and salt. I assume that I'll need the rubber sole for that, but will it be waterproof or will I need the storm welt? And can I get that sole screwed or will it need to be welted? Given those concerns, what combination would you recommend for a sleek look (in black) that's also winter-appropriate in Toronto? Gav
Either welted or screwed - cannot do both as they are different construction methods. Maybe a Blaxland with a storm welt, if that combination is possible. Edit: Maybe the Comfort Craftsman instead as it seems to have replaced the Blaxland...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the rubber sole cannot be screwed.

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Either welted or screwed - cannot do both as they are different construction methods.

Oh, sorry, what I meant was can the rubber sole be screwed or does it have to be welted? Probably a stupid question now that I think about it, though...

Obviously they can't be screwed and welted
smile.gif

I need a new pair of boots ASAP, so I'm trying to figure out the best sole/last/leather combination that is both stylish and winter-appropriate.

Gav

arossphoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gavin
I need a new pair of boots ASAP, so I'm trying to figure out the best sole/last/leather combination that is both stylish and winter-appropriate. Gav
If you need something ASAP, that probably means you will have to buy something from the Toronto store. Unfortunately, when I was there they had a pretty limited selection available. Special orders can take a couple of months, so you might not have too many options. Good luck and let us know how you make out. I live in Toronto as well and really wanted a pair of RMWs, but have been very disappointed with the service and selection available here, not to mention the high prices. Cheers, Andrew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads