• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gavin
Forgive my ignorance, but are the composition soles inappropriate for winter use too?

Gav

The composite soles would be great for winter wear.

bootsnbraces

Reaction score
For a Haligonian, absolutely. They're stickier, but there's no deep tread to pack with snow (which then grips other snow, and gives some security).

Forgive my ignorance, but are the composition soles inappropriate for winter use too?

Gav

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Maybe a Blaxland with a storm welt, if that combination is possible.

A month and a half ago, I asked Barry this very question. He informed me that neither the Blaxland nor the Comfort Craftsman is available with a stormwelt...

arossphoto

Reaction score
Will leather soles be completely useless for Toronto winters (snow, slush, salt, etc...)?

I've been wondering about leather soles with rubber Topys applied to them. I know it wouldn't be as good as the composite sole if you were trudging through the snow and slush every day, but if the boots are getting moderate exposure to the elements maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

I've never had shoes with Topys, so I can't speak from experience and I don't know how much better the traction is. What do you guys think?

Cheers.

bootsnbraces

Reaction score
RMW's site specifically warns against the use of rubber oversoles. Apparently, they stop the leather sole from drying properly.

Originally Posted by arossphoto
I've been wondering about leather soles with rubber Topys applied to them.

arossphoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bootsnbraces
RMW's site specifically warns against the use of rubber oversoles. Apparently, they stop the leather sole from drying properly.
Thanks for the tip. I just went to their site to see what they had to say about this. If anyone else is interested here's what I found: "If our customers do their part, we'll do ours when it comes to repairing R.M.Williams boots. Our first main guideline is that synthetic top soles should never be used on the boots. This is the bootmakers equivalent of an electronics company's rule - no modifications. Synthetic top soles affect the balance and comfort of handmade, all-leather boots."

bootsnbraces

Reaction score
One would just love to believe them, but since I can't get an answer to my emails and fax, I'm forced to believe they've had a change of heart.

I guess it isn't about drying the soles after all.

Originally Posted by arossphoto
"If our customers do their part, we'll do ours when it comes to repairing R.M.Williams boots."

kmaTexas

Reaction score
My wife ordered a pair of Comfort Craftsmen in the G width for me and I find that they are a bit narrow in the toe box. I am planning to send them back and get the Comfort Turnout but am debating on the width. I have a problem with one of my big toes and I like to have a bit of room for comfort. I've been wearing bludstones for a couple years and they are plenty wide but are not really comparable to the RMW boots. Would the turnout be wider by the nature of the toe shape or should I get the H width in the turnout and hope it still fits well in the ankle. I prefer the turnout because it is a bit more casual imo and I wear Khaki pants nearly every day to work and would like to wear the boots with jeans as well. I usually wear a 9.5 or 10 D (US) Thanks...Kevin

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know know if I believe that... but I recently wore my (not-topied) RM boots for 4-5 consecutive days, doing a lot of walking, in sometimes heavy rain and occasionally walking through mud, with no shoe-trees overnight.

After letting them dry over a few days with regular shoe trees in and then giving them a heavy dose of shoe cream (including some to the midsole), they're in fighting fit shape again.

Great boots.

kbuzz

Reaction score

So topys should not be used because:

a) the failure to dry out or
B) they upset the balanace of the boot

Personally im no expert but I go with B

FYi- i put topys on my leather soled Comfort Craftsmn. I indend to wear them through the winter this way and try and have them removed in the spring. Jeez hope i didnt void the warranty. LOL

bootsnbraces

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry, since they don't answer any enquiries about warranty work these days. (At least, they sure don't answer mine).

Originally Posted by kbuzz
Jeez hope i didnt void the warranty. LOL

well-kept

Reaction score
The "don't use Topys" thing is to ensure that you send the boots back for frequent re-soling, then eventually need to buy new ones. It doesn't harm the boot. It extends its life greatly, immeasurably.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Something entirely different: Has anyone ordered the Forum Special based on his Edward Green Size? I have no other means of comparison.

greets taz

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
Something entirely different: Has anyone ordered the Forum Special based on his Edward Green Size? I have no other means of comparison.

greets taz

What is your EG size - last as well as size?

Since writing that RMW guide my experience and knowledge of EG lasts has increased but I have not had time to update it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads