1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. UTVol085

UTVol085 Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see one of my friends had a pair of RM Williams boots sitting out a few weeks ago and was like "Holy crap! Those are RM Williams..." He was pretty surprised I knew what they were; he said he got them in a really nice area of Sydney at their store.

As far as fitting and details go, what is the sleekest sole/last? (ie: not a high cuban heel and no sides of the sole protruding) with the brass screws? Also, which leathers are shinier/more dress shoe like.

Sizing: My feet are pretty narrow but all my shoes (all RTW) are normal width. My size in 11D in my Lucchese 1881 cowboy boots (they were snug at first now a bit loose), Reef Sandals and Cole Haan Oxfords. However, a pair of sneakers are size 10US/43EU/9UK.

That sizing chart was confusing since none of my shoes are AE, etc...

These boots look really cool, plus I'm a Beatle fan, and ankle boots are hard to find where I live. How does everyone like the screwed soles? Most people don't really talk about this...

2. Lear

Lear Senior member

I've switched to using Saphir Medaille D'or 1925 polish on my whiskey coloured, Comfort Craftsman boots.

The product details are:

Jaune Cire. Wax Yellow
    # 53

It doesn't look yellow to me [​IMG]

I had also been using RM Williams Saddle & Leather Dressing. However, this always seemed to create a build up that 'cracked' when the leather flexed. Using Saphir Renovateur + the Wax Yellow, I no longer have this problem.

My boots have never looked better [​IMG]

3. palladio211

palladio211 Well-Known Member

I have size and comfort questions for any RMW experts out there.

I have two pairs of RMW Craftsman boots. My first pair I bought in brown suede. I find them a bit hard in the sole so that they can be tiresome after long walks on pavement in the city. I wish they had a bit more cushion around the ball of the foot area.

So I ordered a pair of comfort Craftsman in black. This sole is more comfortable but is much clunkier looking. It really detracts from the profile of the boot.

I am usually a US size 11 C, and both my pairs of RMW's are the recommended conversion of 10F (this was the size recommended by the salesman in their NYC store). However, I find both pairs a bit cramped in the toe after a long day. Should I consider going with a 10.5 F? I have a narrow foot overall but a bit blocky/wide set of toes. I also wonder whether this is just a factor of the last shape, or perhaps because the slightly higher heel pushes my foot forward when walking.

I was also thinking about buying another set of the regular Craftsman a bit larger and putting some sort of cushion insole inside. I don't really like the look of the comfort model.

Any thoughts on this would be apreciated.

4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I have size and comfort questions for any RMW experts out there. I am usually a US size 11 C, and both my pairs of RMW's are the recommended conversion of 10F (this was the size recommended by the salesman in their NYC store). However, I find both pairs a bit cramped in the toe after a long day. Should I consider going with a 10.5 F? I have a narrow foot overall but a bit blocky/wide set of toes. I also wonder whether this is just a factor of the last shape, or perhaps because the slightly higher heel pushes my foot forward when walking. I was also thinking about buying another set of the regular Craftsman a bit larger and putting some sort of cushion insole inside. I don't really like the look of the comfort model.
    I am all over the place size-wise, but I have very narrow (B) feet, and wear a size 12B New Balance running shoe and 10.5C or 11C Johnston & Murphy dress shoe. I went with a 10.5F Blaxland, which is the Craftsman with the rubber sole (but regular leather insole). This size is still a bit too big for my low-volume, narrow foot, so I added a cushion insole to take up the space and add comfort. So far, it seems to be working. I live in NYC, so the rubber sole was a real selling point to me since I walk all the time. That said, if you don't want the rubber sole for aesthetic reasons, just get the standard sole and add the insole.

5. rando

rando Senior member

any place to check some of these out in socal area, preferrably around orange county area?

6. UTVol085

UTVol085 Well-Known Member

They only sell them in NYC and Australia I believe.

7. palladio211

palladio211 Well-Known Member

I am all over the place size-wise, but I have very narrow (B) feet, and wear a size 12B New Balance running shoe and 10.5C or 11C Johnston & Murphy dress shoe. I went with a 10.5F Blaxland, which is the Craftsman with the rubber sole (but regular leather insole). This size is still a bit too big for my low-volume, narrow foot, so I added a cushion insole to take up the space and add comfort. So far, it seems to be working. I live in NYC, so the rubber sole was a real selling point to me since I walk all the time. That said, if you don't want the rubber sole for aesthetic reasons, just get the standard sole and add the insole.

Gopherblue. Thanks for the very helpful advice. I dropped by the RMW store and tried your solution. I went with a 10.5 and added a cushioned insole, which seemed to do the trick! I too am really around a B width in the heel area but my toes are a bit wider. A very hard foot to fit.

I bought a pair of 10.5 F round toe boots with a rubber sole and the oiled leather (I think it is either called the "Gardener" or "Yard Boot"). I'm going to try these to replace some of my riding paddock boots and for general casual use. I live in NYC, and I think the rubber sole and extra cushioned insole combination should work well for lots of walking.

By the way, Ariat (makers of equestrian boots and riding stuff) makes a really nice cushioned insole that sells for around $20. I think it's a better insole than most of the ones sold at shoe stores.

8. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

By the way, Ariat (makers of equestrian boots and riding stuff) makes a really nice cushioned insole that sells for around $20. I think it's a better insole than most of the ones sold at shoe stores.

Can you recommend a place in NYC to try out the Ariat insole? I'm still looking for a better insole than the one I have.
    Thanks!

9. landho

landho Senior member

Has anyone who has ordered the Forum special from Nungar in a color other than whiskey suffered problems similar to those Lawyerdad did?

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

In case anyone finds this useful, pics of three RMW models side by side. Stockman (in chestnut), Craftsman (in dark tan) and Comfort Craftsman (in claret). The latter is practically unworn. The flash makes them seem lighter than they really are. And yes, a good polish is needed [​IMG] Seems that the Comfort Craftsman is, indeed a little more bulbous or should I say, taller at the toe box, probably so that the padded sole would fit inside. Naturally, the shape will probably change after a week or two, just like it happened with the Craftsman. As a point of comparison, I also have the Stockman, which is in size 9F (AUS). The other two are in size 9G (AUS). [​IMG] [​IMG] Trying to show here the difference in height; the length difference is due to the angle. Standard Craftsman in front. [​IMG] [​IMG] P.s. the Comfort Craftsman got here in 11 days from order (from Nungar).

11. MJC8719x

MJC8719x Senior member

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am really interested in ordering a pair of the Craftsman boots, but from reading a good chunk of this thread, I get the impression they may not be that good for winter.

I live in Michigan and am a student and will have a decent walk to class most days that can be through the snow and ice etc during the winter.

Are there modifications that can be made to the Craftsman to make it more suitable for winter wear? If not, what would you recommend purchasing?

Thanks for the help.

12. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Hi,

I am really interested in ordering a pair of the Craftsman boots, but from reading a good chunk of this thread, I get the impression they may not be that good for winter.

I live in Michigan and am a student and will have a decent walk to class most days that can be through the snow and ice etc during the winter.

Are there modifications that can be made to the Craftsman to make it more suitable for winter wear? If not, what would you recommend purchasing?

Thanks for the help.

Well, the Comfort Craftsman has a non-slip composite sole that's specifically designed for wetter, icier conditions.

13. MJC8719x

MJC8719x Senior member

I was under the impression, possibly incorrectly though, that the comfort Craftsman was a lot chunkier looking due to needing the additional padding. Is this incorrect?

Thanks

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I was under the impression, possibly incorrectly though, that the comfort Craftsman was a lot chunkier looking due to needing the additional padding. Is this incorrect? Thanks
    Not a lot - but somewhat. See my prior post, the boot in claret (reddish-brown) is the comfort Craftsman.

15. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

I got the impression you can custom order a regular Craftsman with a rubber sole, though I'm not sure that will make it less clunky.

16. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

The Craftsman custom ordered with a rubber sole is the Blaxland. I think it is indeed a bit sleeker than the Custom Craftsman, since it does not have the additional insole. The folks at the NYC shop indicated to me that the Comfort Craftsman is a little wider (and maybe a bit roomier all around) to accommodate the insole. I have a narrow, low-volume foot, and I opted for the Blaxland and inserted an insole to fill up some of the excess volume.

I got the impression you can custom order a regular Craftsman with a rubber sole, though I'm not sure that will make it less clunky.

17. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

The Craftsman boots are not waterproof or insulated, and from my years in Ann Arbor, I'm not sure they would make good winter boots if you do a lot of outdoors activity. That said, you can order almost any boot custom made with any sole. There is a rubber, treaded sole (different from the one on the Custom Craftsman) which would be better for winter weather (although the boot still would not be waterproof). You should take a look at the Gammon (I think) and the Yardboot, both of which (I seem to recall) have the lugged sole and may in fact be waterproof (or have a more rugged leather to withstand the elements).

(Sorry for all the parentheses.)
    (Goph)

18. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

The Craftsman custom ordered with a rubber sole is the Blaxland. I think it is indeed a bit sleeker than the Custom Craftsman, since it does not have the additional insole. The folks at the NYC shop indicated to me that the Comfort Craftsman is a little wider (and maybe a bit roomier all around) to accommodate the insole. I have a narrow, low-volume foot, and I opted for the Blaxland and inserted an insole to fill up some of the excess volume.

Hmm, mine don't seem to be wider, but, rather, a bit higher. Anyhow, IIRC the Blaxland has been supplanted by the Comfort Craftsman.

The padding inside the CC is quite plush feeling [​IMG]

19. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Hmm, mine don't seem to be wider, but, rather, a bit higher. Anyhow, IIRC the Blaxland has been supplanted by the Comfort Craftsman.

The padding inside the CC is quite plush feeling [​IMG]

I think you may be right about the Blaxland being replaced by the Comfort Craftsman. Therefore, anyone desiring the fit of the original Craftsman but with the advantages of a rubber sole should request a MTO Craftsman with the rubber sole.

Goph

20. MJC8719x

MJC8719x Senior member

Thank you all for the help. It looks like I will have to consider the yardboot or gammon as I probably need a waterproof shoe for the winter.

Thanks again.