1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. palladio211

palladio211 Well-Known Member

I just bought my third pair of RMW's. My first pair was a regular craftsman in brown suede. It is by far the most elegant and best looking pair, but is not good in inclement weather. It also doesn't seem to have much padding so it feels about as hard on the foot as a traditional dress shoe.

I wanted something more comfortable for long walks in NYC and more durable for inclement weather, so I bought a pair of comfort Craftsman (with the rubber sole and some padding) in black calf. To be honest, I really don't like these boots much. They look a bit clunky and the calf scratches easily. It's like a boot that is caught between two uses - not elegant enough to be a dressier boot, but too fine of a hide to stand up to being a casual/work boot.

So the other day, I bought a pair of what the salesman called Gardeners or Yardboots (an ankle boot with a rubber oil resistant sole, a round toe rather than the chiseled toe of the Craftsman, and an oiled leather called "greasy kip"). This leather comes in either a medium or a dark brown, and I bought the darker one because it was in stock. I already love this boot, and think it may be the model to replace my all time favorite Redwing boot (which has bee discontinued). You can also order this boot in a regular height, that looks like a Wellington.

If you are looking for a winter boot, I would suggest you try one with the rubber sole and "greasy kip" leather. I think you can custom order it in whatever RMW shape/last you prefer. I don't think the regular craftsman will hold up well in wet or snowy conditions.

If you like, I'll post some pictures of my three pairs when I get home tomorrow.

2. superslim_zac

superslim_zac Member

picked up this pair of RMs at the markets last weekend. $35, was missing the rubber on one heel so I had it replaced with an RM williams rubber on both shoes for $28. Not a bad pickup I'd say.

[​IMG]

3. pennydog1

pennydog1 New Member

Hi there i could do with some help on the purchase of RM WIlliams Comfort Craftsman.

I usually take size 10.5(US) in Timberland and bought some Comfort Craftsmans size 9.5(Aus) they feel ok but i camn slightly feel the end of the boot??!!
    I have spoke to the people i bought from and they are sending me size 10(Aus) to try and they are telling me to choose between the two.
    I just wondered if anyone had experience as towhether they stretch length wise??
    sorry to go on.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Hi there i could do with some help on the purchase of RM WIlliams Comfort Craftsman.

I usually take size 10.5(US) in Timberland and bought some Comfort Craftsmans size 9.5(Aus) they feel ok but i camn slightly feel the end of the boot??!!
    I have spoke to the people i bought from and they are sending me size 10(Aus) to try and they are telling me to choose between the two.
    I just wondered if anyone had experience as towhether they stretch length wise??
    sorry to go on.

I would try the longer boot as the toebox is stiff and unlikely to stretch, imo, unlike the body of the boot.

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

If you like, I'll post some pictures of my three pairs when I get home tomorrow.

please do.

6. palladio211

Hi there i could do with some help on the purchase of RM WIlliams Comfort Craftsman. I usually take size 10.5(US) in Timberland and bought some Comfort Craftsmans size 9.5(Aus) they feel ok but i camn slightly feel the end of the boot??!! I have spoke to the people i bought from and they are sending me size 10(Aus) to try and they are telling me to choose between the two. I just wondered if anyone had experience as towhether they stretch length wise?? sorry to go on.
    I'd go with the longer boot. I'm a US 11 C, and originally I bought the Craftsman in 10 F (their narrowest available width) as per their recommendation at the store. My toes felt a bit cramped at the end, and after a year of wear, that hasn't changed much due to the stiff toe box. I just bought a pair of RMW in 10.5 which work much better. However they were too wide in that length, so had to add an insole to fill up the excess volume.

7. palladio211

please do.

Not at home this week, but will post a picture ASAP.

8. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

sorry to go on.

Just got my first pair today. Craftsman Yearling, Chestnut. I usually wear size 10.5 US or 10 US wide. The pair I bought is size 9+ Aus, width G. Feels snug but comfortable right off the back.

According to Australian Fair clerk in San Francisco, the leathers of RM Williams boots does not stretch much. Will see if that's true after a couple months.

9. MellonC

MellonC Well-Known Member

Just got my first pair today. Craftsman Yearling, Chestnut. I usually wear size 10.5 US or 10 US wide. The pair I bought is size 9+ Aus, width G. Feels snug but comfortable right off the back. According to Australian Fair clerk in San Francisco, the leathers of RM Williams boots does not stretch much. Will see if that's true after a couple months.
    I'm a 10.5 E in Park Avenues. I ordered the 10 G in Turnout from Australia. I originally ordered the 10 F but the lady there said that G's were in stock and that she will gladly exchange it if it's too big. I suspect that it will be too wide but worth a try. I'll give it a shot and report back. ------------------- On another note, I just realized that I actually was one of the earlier adapters of RM Williams boots in my wardrobe. My mother was cleaning out my closet (I kept my stuff there 11 years ago) and told me that she just threw away my old boots - It occurred to me that they were actually RMW's I actually ordered from Autralia sight unseen at that time. I hadn't worn it in a long time because the toe box was too narrow - my pinky toe was hurting after long walks in Manhattan. I remember the toe box was was definitely chiseled and the heel was somewhat high (my foot moved forward just a bit every time I landed a step - made the pinky toe situation worse). Too make a long story short, I told her to read off the label to me on the pulls tabs. she said something about "... Williams?" They were Kangaroo leather in black and I remember paying about $200 plus shipping AND customs duty for it. This is when AE's were going for only $250. I wish I had kept'em. I could have sold'em to one of the SF members. Oh well. I can't believe she threw'em away.[​IMG]

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

So what's the best place to order the forum special (nice shoe) right now if I'm located in North America? Not sure about Nungar due to feedback...

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

So what's the best place to order the forum special (nice shoe) right now if I'm located in North America? Not sure about Nungar due to feedback...
    The forum special is something that was arranged through Nungar. It is not a specific model, just a set of specifications (and a sizing method) that Sator put together. P.s. the new sig is great [​IMG] - I am jealous!

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

The forum special is something that was arranged through Nungar. It is not a specific model, just a set of specifications (and a sizing method) that Sator put together.

P.s. the new sig is great [​IMG] - I am jealous!

I saw that, I'm basically looking for a reliable and hopefully cheap place that carries them...Where did you get your pair? I want to send the link to a friend because I think that's what he's looking for, might even order a pair myself but not sure...

Yeah the sig is great [​IMG]

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Nobody "carries" them. bootsonline will ship you RMWs. Aussiebushhats will too. OF the three, I've had the best luck with bootonline, but my sample size is small and YMMV.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I saw that, I'm basically looking for a reliable and hopefully cheap place that carries them...Where did you get your pair? I want to send the link to a friend because I think that's what he's looking for, might even order a pair myself but not sure...

Yeah the sig is great [​IMG]

I actually don't have the forum special (at least not yet). Two of my RM are from Nungar though, the third I got (practically new) from some chap here.

15. rando

rando Senior member

Yeah I am wondering as well what the best way to get a pair of these would be in LA. Are the guidelines from the first post still good?

16. MellonC

I'm getting mine from Aussiebushhats.com

--------------------------------

I have a questions on sizing - Yes, I know another question about sizing....

Aussiebushhats.com is sending a 10 G for sizing and i'll probably return them because my estimation is that it will be too large. So, I am probably going to go with 10 F's. However, Aussiebushhats.com has different designation for F fits. Some say F - Wide Toe and some say F - Medium Toe and some say F - Narrow Toe.

For the Turnout last I'm assuming I'm getting the 530 last. Does this mean I have three toe width choices in each last? or does this just mean that the there are 3 F fits based on 529, 530 and 531 last?

17. MellonC

Just got my first pair today. Craftsman Yearling, Chestnut. I usually wear size 10.5 US or 10 US wide. The pair I bought is size 9+ Aus, width G. Feels snug but comfortable right off the back.

According to Australian Fair clerk in San Francisco, the leathers of RM Williams boots does not stretch much. Will see if that's true after a couple months.

What's a 9+ size??? Is it 9.5 ???

18. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

What's a 9+ size??? Is it 9.5 ???

That's my guess.

19. rando

rando Senior member

The forum special is something that was arranged through Nungar. It is not a specific model, just a set of specifications (and a sizing method) that Sator put together. P.s. the new sig is great [​IMG] - I am jealous!
    I actually don't have the forum special (at least not yet). Two of my RM are from Nungar though, the third I got (practically new) from some chap here.
    I am kind of confused as it seems like at first you are saying there is no forum special model but then afterwards you refer to one. Could you please clarify? Thanks!

20. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Yes, it is a little confusing. There is so much information in the first post about many types of RM Williams boots it's hard to find the details of the forum special model. To the forum special model spec is a boot using the flat heel, B529 last, and brass screwed leather soles, preferably in french veal calf, and one size up in legth and two sizes down in width from a well fitting RM Williams boot. You can order it from anywhere that will supply custom RM Williams boots.