• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson MP at Bennies' Shoes (Atlanta)

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a note from grenson today stating that the MP is no longer made and had been supplanted by the rose collection.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
I received a note from grenson today stating that the MP is no longer made and had been supplanted by the rose collection.

They haven't been making "Grenson Masterpiece" shoes for quite a while now, maybe as long as two years. They still make shoes to the Masterpiece standard for Paul Stuart called "Stuart's Choice." They are excellent shoes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
The price is disappointing. A hundred dollars cheaper and I might be interested in the right pair, but I'll be sitting this one out.

This sums up my feelings as well. I love my Masterpieces, but it would take something stunning/unusual to get me to even consider biting at $350. Some of GVH's EGs have sold in the $350 range fairly recently.

As for the increasingly weak exchange rate, wouldn't these have been purchased by PS a good while back? Maybe PS jacked up the price for Bennies, but a $100 premium seems a bit much. It wasn't long ago that PS was selling these for $75 at the end of the clearance sale, right?

TomW

Reaction score
I think the reality is Bennie's has sold out so quickly in most sizes ( within hours) at $250 that they are rightfully seeing what the market will bear. I will pay $350 for som e GMP shoes.. not so much for others. If they don't sell at that price point, they will be marked down. It's simple supply and demand in my opinion. Having said that, I liked em a whole lot better at $250
laugh.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TomW
I think the reality is Bennie's has sold out so quickly in most sizes ( within hours) at $250 that they are rightfully seeing what the market will bear. I will pay $350 for som e GMP shoes.. not so much for others. If they don't sell at that price point, they will be marked down. It's simple supply and demand in my opinion. Having said that, I liked em a whole lot better at $250
laugh.gif

I think you're quite right. But I also suspect that it's the frenzy created by the forum that has driven a big chunk of their sales. I notice that nearly all of the MPs in my size that were left after the last first-day frenzy are still sitting there. I'd bet that 80 percent of their Grenson sales happen on the first day they're available. If enough folks are tepid on the new price, I think they'll see a significant falloff in demand. If not this sale, then the next one. There just won't be that same mania.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
They did, to $800+

I still think that $350 is a little high for the discount market.

I was just in PS in NY two days ago-I really liked some wholecuts at $678, but other models seem to go as high as $878.
http://www.paulstuart.com/category_t...headermenuid=1
Compared to these prices, $350 is not bad for first quality Grensons with the PS label removed. Bennies is getting 419 pairs of them.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I think you're quite right. But I also suspect that it's the frenzy created by the forum that has driven a big chunk of their sales. I notice that nearly all of the MPs in my size that were left after the last first-day frenzy are still sitting there. I'd bet that 80 percent of their Grenson sales happen on the first day they're available. If enough folks are tepid on the new price, I think they'll see a significant falloff in demand. If not this sale, then the next one. There just won't be that same mania.

The other thing is that the shoes they were previously selling were really not 100% in good shape. I own two pairs and wear them constantly -- they are great shoes, great value for what I paid, but each of them came with some defects. If this new shipment doesn't have those defects, then the higher price is somewhat more justifiable.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We should make a collective pact not to buy anything until Bennie's drops their prices, then all bets are off!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
The other thing is that the shoes they were previously selling were really not 100% in good shape. I own two pairs and wear them constantly -- they are great shoes, great value for what I paid, but each of them came with some defects. If this new shipment doesn't have those defects, then the higher price is somewhat more justifiable.

Anything significant? I've bought three pairs and don't recall a defect in any of them.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anything significant? I've bought three pairs and don't recall a defect in any of them.

One pair has spotty discolorations in the toe cap (which I have since antiqued to the point where they are barely visible) and the other has sort of an unfinished insole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads