Grenson MP at Bennies' Shoes (Atlanta)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nerdykarim, Sep 3, 2007.

1. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

Prisoners' Dilemma . . .

You mean Prisoners who like shoes Dilemma. Acedotal evidence suggests price inelasticity for EG/Lobb, we shall see if the same holds for GMPs.

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'll probably sit this out, too, unless I see something truly spectacular. Part of the reason is the pricing, but the major reason is my greatly expanded shoe collection since the last sale (where I did find a wonderful brown calfskin/suede wholecut that is one of my favorite shoes).

I agree that Bennies is probably testing the pricing after the frenzy of the last sale. I'm guessing they'll sell well at $350. FWIW, shoe-shop.com still advertises 5 models from the GMP line, in a nearly full range of sizes. Of course, I don't know if they've simply failed to update their website.

3. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

We should make a collective pact not to buy anything until Bennie's drops their prices, then all bets are off!

I have been a Bennies' customer for 30+ years and no one has fairer prices. When Louie was about to get the Grensons for the first time and showed me photos of them, he asked me what I thought he could sell them for. I knew that PS sold them for $595-625, so I said that they would probably sell like hotcakes for up to $250. He said that he was getting them at a VERY good price and could go lower; maybe as low as $150 and, therefore, that was his price for the first two batches of shoes.
    They were very popular with forum members, so he tried for more. When he got the third group, he had to pay more and, therefore, had to sell them for $250.
    He has continued to get inquiries, so has kept trying to get more shoes. This batch is costing him MUCH more, and he keeps trying to price them fairly, but has to go higher yet. I do not doubt that the falling dollar has much to do with this, as PS has also gone up about $85-150 itself, depending on the model.
    I have seen photos and some of them are really outstanding. Wait until you see the tan model that is someting like a spectator brogue, except it is tan leather mesh in the places where spectators have contrasted coloring.

4. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

FWIW, shoe-shop.com still advertises 5 models from the GMP line, in a nearly full range of sizes. Of course, I don't know if they've simply failed to update their website.

how does one know which is to GMP standard, the GBP 295 and up?

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

how does one know which is to GMP standard, the GBP 295 and up?

yup. the rugby, felstead, and eton are all from the GMP line.

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

yup. the rugby, felstead, and eton are all from the GMP line.

Yes, as are the Wellington and Stowe.

7. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

I visited their website. It seems that Grenson and Zelli would be their most "upscale" imported shoes, or do they stock other luxury shoes not on the website?

8. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

Any update on when this sale starts?

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

419 pairs of shoes is a lot of shoes to move and they take up a lot of space. I'll wait and see what is around at the $200-250 level.

10. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I just called. They are in now. They are not on the web yet, but the salesman said they were unpacking as we spoke. I happen to be visiting Atlanta this weekend, so I'll probably go try some on for myself.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Thanks for the update. [​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Dropped by Bennies on Piedmont and was a little disappointed in this round of Grensons. Believe it or not, the bulk of the shoes they had were of the bicycle toe variety, and they were priced at $350. I did pick up some laceups though, for $375 with tax, which was not bad given the retail price of close to $700.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hehe, sorry about that, I assumed everybody had a 73" monitor..

13. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

For those not viewing it on a 73" screen [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can't say I'd have much interest in bicycle toes, especially at the new price point. You didn't happen to look over the selection in 9, did you?

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Thanks for the update. Your shoes look and the photos are great.[​IMG]